Thread: Anyone have a Coghill Reds report?

Default Anyone have a Coghill Reds report?

Anyone been up to see if the reds are in?
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Answered my own question. Just talked to someone that said they are not that far up yet.

I was out this past weekend and ADF&G opened it up to the commercials this week. They said the hatchery had reached its goal.

We did well in Main Bay on the incoming tide. When we were heading back yesterday, we saw several commercial rigs heading that way too.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

We were up there on Tuesday and hiked up the river from the mouth. The commercial boys were busy, but were not an issue. We caught limits only to find out later that the limits has now been raised.. go figure. Great time regardless. Be super careful while weaving around all the commercial fishers!

Default the reds were there

three weekends ago now. no luck snagging but didn't really try that long. Seen them jumping all over but I guess just not thick enough to snag. Never went to shore. I think I already told you this a while back.

Thanks for the info guys. Might head up there Sat. Can't decide go south or north! Good problem to have

I am going to try Main Bay again tomorrow. High tide in AM is around 7 so that will mean an early run out there, but the water is usally flat then. Once we get our limit, then it is out to search for the elusive "Butt" Call Northern Comfort on 16!
    Last edited by AKBassking; 07-06-2007 at 15:31. Reason: spelling

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Saw the emergency order at noon on the 4th and couldn't resist the temptation. Boated up to the weir - got there at midnight on the 5th and fished for 12 hours. Not another soul in sight (except for a couple of friendly guys working the weir). Ended up with 37 reds between 4 of us. We only caught one pink. It was not "red hot" considering the amount of time we fished. We stopped fishing shortly after a large float plane showed up with 7 or eight guided fishermen and choked out the good spot. The weir was closed on the 5th for sampling, so the fish were all stacked up right against it. Not many fish below the 50 foot marker and it didn’t' appear that very many new fish were entering the river. We had to work pretty hard for our catch. Seems like the run peaked early this year and is tapering off pretty fast. The comm fish news release said that the Coghill district opened on the 5th at 8 a.m., but we didn't see any comm fishers when we left at noon. There were plenty of them headed towards main bay on Wednesday night, however. When we got back to the dock, several people were commenting that Main Bay is the place to be right now. Coghill was fun, but Main Bay is probably a safer bet for limiting out - especially if there are other fishermen at Coghill, since the only spot that was producing fish on a fairly regular basis is quite small (enough for about 6 people to fish comfortably).

Default Boated to the weir ?

I have never been there, but I would not have thought you could boat to the weir. I thought it was a 2 mile hike?. More info would be appreciated, a two mile hike with 37 reds sounds like a work out.

Default How to get to the Coghill wier

I am also looking for advice on the best way to get to the wier. We hiked the trail to the cabin but didn't see any sidertrails leading to the river. About halfway back from the cabin to Coghill Bay we bushwacked down the river (below the wier) and fished for several hours with no luck. Walked back to the Bay, got into my jet boat and motored up river to the exact spot where we previously fished but the water was too low to make it any further upriver. My gut feeling is the run has already peaked.

Does anyone have GPS coordinates of the wier?

Distance to the weir is almost 2 river miles exactly. GPS coordinates are 61* 04' 29.29" N, 147* 52' 30.28 W (coordinates taken from Google Earth, so they may be off a bit). I've never walked up the river to the weir, so I can't comment about that, but boating up to the weir is always exciting. There are a couple of hairpin turns, a submerged tree or two right in the channel, and some very narrow channels. The current is pretty swift in spots, so you have to be on your toes. Going downstream is even more exciting, since you've added a couple hundred extra pounds of fish to the boat (hopefully) and steering around the tight bends is even more difficult. There are lots of stumps/snags down at the mouth and the channel can be hard to find at low tide. Once you've gone up and back a couple of times, it's not such a big deal, but make sure to take someone new each time and watch the look on their face as you run the river - priceless. My boat is a fairly light weight, 20' inboard jet and it does pretty well on this river. I would hesitate to go up in something bigger/heavier unless you know the river well.

Default Hoghill Salmon Fest

Just got back in from Coghill, aka Hoghill. We fished below the wier from 11am to 1pm and only managed to land eleven (between the two of us). Upon hookup, they exploded from the river like silvers on crack. Hooked nearly 50. We caught mostly bucks. Biggest reds I've ever seen. Not sure the run is quite over yet.

Warning: A commercial opener is just about to begin for the next two days at Coghill. See below from the ADF&G comm fish site:

COGHILL DISTRICT: The Coghill District north of 60° 46.32' N. Lat. and east of a line from Pt. Pigot (60° 48.21' N. Lat., 148° 20.90' W. Long.) to Pt. Pakenham (61° 00.259’ N. Lat., 148° 05.319’ W. Long.), excluding the Wally Noerenburg Hatchery SHA and THA will open for a 48 hour period from 8:00 am on Monday, July 9 until 8:00 am on Wednesday, July 11. Anadromous stream closures, (5AAC 39.290(a)) will not be in effect during these periods for the Coghill Lagoon, with commercial fishing permitted up to the river mouth. The harvest from the July 2 opening was 117,686 chum and 27,728 sockeye salmon with 358 deliveries reported. The cumulative harvest is 68,621 sockeye, and 707,420 chum salmon. Harvest numbers from the period that ended this morning are not available. The Coghill weir has passed a total of 19,176 sockeye salmon versus an anticipated count of 11,478 salmon. PWSAC has reported harvesting 667,012 chum salmon for cost recovery at WNH. PWSAC intends to harvest 795,000 (42.0%) of the forecast (1,892,000 chum salmon) returning to this facility for cost recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by DGW View Post
    Distance to the weir is almost 2 river miles exactly. GPS coordinates are 61* 04' 29.29" N, 147* 52' 30.28 W (coordinates taken from Google Earth, so they may be off a bit). I've never walked up the river to the weir, so I can't comment about that, but boating up to the weir is always exciting. There are a couple of hairpin turns, a submerged tree or two right in the channel, and some very narrow channels. The current is pretty swift in spots, so you have to be on your toes. Going downstream is even more exciting, since you've added a couple hundred extra pounds of fish to the boat (hopefully) and steering around the tight bends is even more difficult. There are lots of stumps/snags down at the mouth and the channel can be hard to find at low tide. Once you've gone up and back a couple of times, it's not such a big deal, but make sure to take someone new each time and watch the look on their face as you run the river - priceless. My boat is a fairly light weight, 20' inboard jet and it does pretty well on this river. I would hesitate to go up in something bigger/heavier unless you know the river well.
    I take it you run the river at high tide?

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469