Thread: Floating Knik with Cataraft

Default Floating Knik with Cataraft

I recently bought a 14' NRS River Cataraft (a deal I couldn't refuse) and was looking to try it out on Knik River with my kids. How close to the glacier is the put in? Do most people go bridge to bridge or is there a put in point up river?

Bridge to bridge is what I've floated. You're still many miles from the glacier, although you can see it from the bridge. It's a easy half day doing that trip, and I've never heard of anyone putting in at Jim Creek, if that's even possible. On a sunny day it's a fantastic float for the kids. Stop on a gravel bar and make a fire to roast hot dogs and marshmallows. If it's a wet windy day you wouldn't want the trip to be any longer than it is. You'll have about 2 seconds of thrill at the new bridge running the "rapids" but it's a great float to get yourself and family familiar with the new boat. My profile pic is from a nice day on the Knik.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

I don't think you could put in via knik River Road, it's pretty much private property. I had the knik Glacier tour run my family/raft/camp up to the Glacier and we floated back to the road.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Floated from the upper to lower bridge today with my older sons and a friend with his son. It was a good first float with the new to me boat. We fished for silvers, cooked some hot dogs over a fire and enjoyed the amazing views.

Welcome to the rafting world. Looks like it was a great first outing.

If you find that cataraft isn't working out for you, I can take it off your hands.

Thanks for sharing the pics, it's always a treat. Looks like the moody teens might have even had some fun.