Thread: Petersburg management area or Kodiak Deer hunt

Default Petersburg management area or Kodiak Deer hunt

So I want to do a deer hunt this year but am not sure which one would be better. Im not interested in the trophy but more the experience and the meat. My two choices, but am open to suggestions, are the bow hunt in petersburg management area or maybe going to kodiak island for the general season. Im going to school in Anchorage so money is a factor and I really need to get the most bang for my buck . Just looking for some advice whether those hunts are worth the money to fly in or if there are better hunts more accessible to me.

Thanks

Kodiak, hands down. Especially since Petersburg has had an Intensive Management ruling for deer in their area because the population is so low.
    This is for GMU areas 1A and 3.

Sobie2

My buddy and I hit the PMA hard, for about a straight week back around the third week of November, guessing 2008. We saw 2 deer the entire time plus a third while driving in right before daylight.

Thanks guys. I figured PMA might be a little more pressured seeing as petersburg is right there. So as far as kodiak goes is there a cheap DIY way to hunt Deer there? Also are there any good PWS deer hunts that I could do on the cheap side? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kszimin View Post
    Thanks guys. I figured PMA might be a little more pressured seeing as petersburg is right there. So as far as kodiak goes is there a cheap DIY way to hunt Deer there? Also are there any good PWS deer hunts that I could do on the cheap side? Thanks
    You can take the ferry over and hunt the road system - there may be trespass fees so check carefully. I'd suggest calling a couple air taxis and ask them about close fly-outs, on a 206 (or similar plane), if you're going solo. If you'll be hunting with a partner, you might as well get Beaver rates also.
    PWS will involve transported fees also, so again you're going to have to make some calls to get an idea of prices.
    I'd do Kodiak, myself.

Do you think hiking from the road system and doing a drop camp is realistic?

If you're looking for road system hunting, you could also try Douglas Island out of Juneau or maybe Sitka or Ketchikan? None would be stellar, but if you go late enough when does are legal, you might be able to scratch out a couple deer.

The road system hunt isnt a bad one there in kodiak. Your allowed one bull then 3 if you go south of saltery cove. I think a ferry ticket split between me and a couple of friends would probably be cheaper. Plus i dont mind a little hiking. Ill definitly think about it.

A number to describe "cheap" and we would be able to be more specific. We all understand as cheap as possible. But work up a budget for this and let us know what you can spend and we could hammer things down a lot
    More specifically.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Im thinking about 600 dollars tops.

Maybe a prince William sound water taxi drop? Not sure on their cost. A car rental on kodiak for the road system would fit if you walked on the ferry.
    600 would get you a fly out past saltery cover or maybe eagle harbor/kizuyak bay I'd guess is about that price range.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Ton of deer on Baranof right now. Every time I run up Neva or head south I see deer all over the beach.

You can hike up Harbor Mountain and Green Lake RD. Not many locals do it as we have boats....and it's pretty much free deer once you get away from town. After September 15 it's any deer and a limit of 4. Or take a water taxi to a cabin and you can hike all over the place...many deer to be had.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

i dont know anything about this hunt you describe for Petersburg but i was just there in may visiting family and there are quite a few deer running around on that island. one drive out the road and we seen 9 altogether. everytime we went out the road we seen deer and its pretty common seeing them round town and in the neighborhoods. not making a pick for your hunt just sharing what i seen. ive never even been to kodiak.

Ive definitly thought of doing baranof. Ive never been to sitka. How realistic would it be to fly to sitka and hike in and do a drop camp somewhere? What is the deer hunting like? would I be able to do spotting? To me it seemed sitka is dense forest which would make it hard to find a deer. Also if i did get something do you know if the airlines or fish and game has meat storage for hunters? I would propbably buy my ticket for a 2 weeks and would want the meat sitting outside that whole time. I have also thought of renting a boat but its hard to find boat rental options online. Do you know of any affordable boat rental operations?

Thanks for all the info guys

Quote Originally Posted by kszimin View Post
    The road system hunt isnt a bad one there in kodiak. Your allowed one bull then 3 if you go south of saltery cove. I think a ferry ticket split between me and a couple of friends would probably be cheaper. Plus i dont mind a little hiking. Ill definitly think about it.
    You're numbers are incorrect. You're allowed 3 total, you can take 1 on the road system, then 2 more south of there, or none on the road and 3 off the road.

You won't be hiking off the road system, well you can if you REALLY REALLY want to, but bringing back more than one deer will be fun. Out of your options, the ferry to Kodiak and hunting the road would be your cheapest I think, depending on the size of the car for the ferry costs. or walk onto the ferry and rent a uhaul truck here for cheap.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

There are a couple different options when hunting Sitka. 1. Fly into Sitka and hike into an area to hunt. You can start at the north or the south end of the island. There is road access that will get you up into the mountains. Once you get up there, you can pretty much hike where you want. After Sept 15 it is any deer, I am sure you could find 4 deer off any of the hike in access areas.

2. Rent a cabin. Some of the Islands have logging roads (Kruzof) that you can camp or rent a cabin near, that really opens things up. Or some cabins have great hike in access. For example Seven Fathom Bay cabin. Get someone to drop you off there for a few days, you can hike all over out there. There is plenty of deer (and brown bear) near the cabin too. I picked one off taking my....morning walk.... last time I hunted out of there.