Thread: Helmet Hell

Default Helmet Hell

I know I need one. Can't find a local dealer that sells anything but the David Clark and I want to keep my Light Speed Zulu's. Anybody know of anyone in South Central that sells helmets that I can try on and see how they fit? I read through some threads on this site and others and ordered a helmet I thought would work. Sending it back. Thanx

That's probably the biggest hold up with me getting one besides the DC. Have heard a lot of complaints about fit and adjustments and there is no one in town to do it. A friend ordered one from Tiger Performance, loves the helmet, but said customer service sucked, he got Bose A20 inserts, not sure they fit Zulus. Shelling out that kind of cash for something that might not fit is hard to justify. The Gallet's seem to be the only real helmet, but it is still bike helmet technology, just EPS under the shell.

The Team Wendy ones someone posted on Supercub look interesting, the Carbon one has a three piece foam padding system that supposedly allows a headset to fit under, uses military padding, ~$600. Doesn't cover the ears like the Gallet's, but looks like a reasonable alternative, meets several military standards for a bump helmet, and has greater padding than the DC.

Which one did you order?

I understand that they are thoroughly tested to military specs, but EPS is limited in it's muliple impact capability. It is the most common helmet material available in helmets (aviation, bike, skate, etc.), but a drop or hard hit can create invisible micro fractures in the foam that seriously diminish it's ability to take another impact.

Opinion: A resilient material designed to take multiple impacts and still provide some high impact protection may be better than a EPS helmet that may have been compromised by drops, turbulence impacts, etc.

No one has done enough research on what type and force of impacts occur in typical small airplane crashes to design a helmet specifically for those impacts, you can't create an ideal helmet for unknown forces. Some helmets may do more harm than good.

Example of a resilient helmet material:
    http://www.teamwendy.com/research-co...study-hgu-56p/

It is not an easy subject, only trying to piece together available information.

Resilient foam makes the helmet rebound after in impact. That may be good for helmet longevity but its bad for the guy wearing it. A helmet is supposed to absorb the energy and not rebound.

How do you fit a headset into your Team Wendy? There are two kinds of helmets. Real flight helmets have ear cups built in and the shell applies pressure to seal them on your head. Less expensive bump helmets are shells over the top of a headset so the headset band has to stay active to hold cup pressure. Not many shells allow a good fit over popular headsets. Certainly not while maintaining safety for your head. Tactical helmets are no exception. Solve that shell-popular headset problem and a lot of guys will follow your lead. David Clark is the only one who's gotten close.

I don't have a Team Wendy, but it looks like an interesting alternative to the DC I do have: much thicker padding, similar weight. While the DC has saved some noggins, I don't have much faith in the 1/2" of foam for a real impact. The Team Wendy states it has a removable pad and suffucient shell space to allow room for the headset band to hit under the helmet, it's the only helmet that seems designed to accomodate a headset, which is why it looks interesting. If you can fit ANR into Peltor Earcups that clip to the helmet sides, you could have full impact padding in the shell and ANR with no band across the top.

http://store.teamwendy.com/exfil-carbon-bump-helmet/

KEY FEATURES:

• High strength and lightweight carbon fiber shell
    • High cut shell design with clearance for hearing protection and communication headsets
    • CAM FIT™ retention system that utilizes Boa® Closure System for optimized stability and fit

The foam used in combat helmets and Team Wendy meets the blunt impact specs. If I remember correctly from my time wearing Army helmets, these liners are like memory foam so impacts are absorbed but rebound is minimized. I also really like the BOA fit systems in sports helmets I've had, always seem to work well with my head and stay secure, much better than just a chin strap in my opinion.

Can't say for sure it would work, but just saying it's an interesting looking alternative to the DC or Pro-tec options.

My first helmet was a DC with DC ANR headsets. It worked okay. I upgraded to a Gallet, and make no mistake it's a very significant upgrade. Since then I've tried to modify a tactical helmet and a DC K-10 to fit Zulu 2s. Both were failures. The Gallet sets a high standard. I don't see going back. The DC is 2nd best. Just my opinion from my own trials.

I had to trim more of the actual plastic helmet than I wanted with to fit the Zulu 2's in the DC, the arms to the ear cups were the problem on mine, earcups seemed to fit the snap in harness without too much trouble. Love the headset, but the regular DC headsets fit much better in the DC helmet.

Which tactical helmet did you try and did you get an ANR system in the Gallet?

I'd like to see pics of the Zulus in a K-10. I carefully trimmed mine but the way the Zulu ear pads fit doesn't make for a good fit in the helmet bonnet. And fitting the head band into the K-10 suspension is a huge pain. My other helmet fail was with a pro tec. I don't care for that one at all, or the Commtronics that fits over headsets separately.

Yes on the ANR in my Gallet. It works about as well as Zulu 2s. No Bluetooth but good noise management.

http://www.supercub.org/forum/showth...d-Clark-Helmet

Pics are about half way down. I have an average size head, have the snaps all lined up on the back of a regular baseball hat. Some people have gotten by without cutting the helmet, but they must have very small heads or pull the ears down in order for them to move out far enough to fit. I think if you pull the ear cups too far down, it effectively raises the helmet and probably exposes more fo the forehead, which is probably what you want protected most. Trimming as I did seriously compromised the rigidity of the helmet and I would not recommend it. Untrimmed, I could get it on but they clamped harder than the David Clarks and I couldnt wear them.

After looking again I did end up trimming a bit of the upper half of the black plastic around the ear cups on the DC bonnet, this was to let the earcup arms lay flatter, I was having trouble getting a good seal at the bottom of the ear cup.

I think I'm going to try wearing ear plugs for a bit and see if a Halo style headset would work for me.

One of the biggest problems I had with the DC headset with ANR, like others, was the clamping pressure. So looking looking over my DC headset and helmet (I have an unmutilated one also) I realized it was quite simple to undo the circlips holding the earcups on and just place the earcups in the helmet bonnet. No more clamping pressure, only disadvantage I can see right off the bat is the helemt is now very loose because it doesn't have the help of the headband to hold it on, it stays in place fine and I think that could be remedied with adding a few extra pads in the headband slot. Ear cups still seem to seal ok. Will try it out.

DC's with no headband worked ok, but much louder than my Zulu's were, back to them for now.