Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cook Inlet Sharks

Default Cook Inlet Sharks

Went out on a Homer charter with some coworkers and we ran into more sharks than halibut. Since it was a huge tide swing and a little rough the charter fished two different spots one at 30 ft (bluffs) and other at 100 ft (more towards compass rose area).

I'm going to fish next week out of Deep Creek and want to avoid them. I don't ever remember getting them this early. Anyway to get away from them?

Thanks
    Ryan
    Kingfisher 2525 Honda 225 & 20

use hard wear, will do a lot, not all but it will cut them down, I think, SID

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    use hard wear, will do a lot, not all but it will cut them down, I think, SID
    When you say hard ware, do you mean bottom fishing jigs? thanks
    Ryan

We were out in K-Bay about 10 days ago and picked up 3 sharks in a row. We pulled the anchor and drifted until we started catching only halibut then threw out the anchor again. They must be in small schools because we didn't catch anymore for the next week of fishing.

We fished one of our long time favorite K-bay spots and same thing. Over past 8 years can only recall a shark (dogfish) or two, and always consistent halibut usually 15-40 lbs and many fishing in the 45-80 lbs too. Yesterday, just itty-bitty halibut and 9 sharks. Fished for just over an hour before we decided to move.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

On the 12th we fished way out in the Inlet and caught one shark. Our halibut were good sized, all of our "overs" were between 47 and 66 pounds.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by rpdeines View Post

I'm going to fish next week out of Deep Creek and want to avoid them. I don't ever remember getting them this early. Anyway to get away from them?

Thanks
    Fish more time before and during the ebb when you don't have to anchor up. Try and spread that bait scent around a little instead of having it come from one place. If you do anchor up, if you catch one shark you may as well move as you'll be bringing more in the longer that scent stays down there. Of course that's what we want for halibut too, but if the sharks are there it's almost a hopeless cause.

From my experience the last few years the sharks aren't near as bad as they were years ago. It got to be ridiculous for awhile there.....they were freekin' everywhere...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

We talking real sharks or dogfish? I'd love to have the problem with big sharks.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Charterboat Operator

pretty sure they are talking spiney dog fish,
    they have been around pretty consistantly since early june. the deeper the water, the more you will catch, though they are scattered all over the place.
    5-6 from the same anchorage is not bad, but when you have six on at once, its time to move! bring extra bait, and use big baits. as Sid said big jigs work well, sharks wont usually go after them, unless they are salmon sharks that is.
    one thing i have noticed this year is the lack of pacific cod, they dont seem to be in the numbers they usually are in the inlet this year.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. The spiney dog fish are a pain!
    Ryan

pollack seem to be in short supply as well as cod. both good bait source. dog fish not as heavy up in the inlet out of Deep Creek

The commercial pot cod fishery has had to put a hurt on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should try eating the dogfish. they are better than you would think. Bleed them and ice them. Soak them in whole milk for a couple of hours. add some to your fish fry and your friends will love them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    You should try eating the dogfish. they are better than you would think. Bleed them and ice them. Soak them in whole milk for a couple of hours. add some to your fish fry and your friends will love them.
    I agree with AK CAPT. Nice firm white flesh...and no bones!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I choked boatloads of them to death last winter. Bodies go to england for fish & chips, bellyflaps go to germany to be smoked, fins and skins are bought by asians and they even squeege the guts to extract enzymes for dietary supplements. Not much of the fish goes to waste.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I choked boatloads of them to death last winter. Bodies go to england for fish & chips, bellyflaps go to germany to be smoked, fins and skins are bought by asians and they even squeege the guts to extract enzymes for dietary supplements. Not much of the fish goes to waste.
    Wow....I had no idea...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

just cut a section of belly of the dogfish off and put it down with your halibut bait... it has a scent that gets the Dog Fish to move on but doesn't slow the halibut bite at all. the fresher the better.... Plus adam these are not sharks haha spiny dog fish.

Quote Originally Posted by mateisenhour View Post
    ...Plus adam these are not sharks ...spiny dog fish.
    uh, spiny dogfish ARE sharks, just little ones.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by mateisenhour View Post
    just cut a section of belly of the dogfish off and put it down with your halibut bait... it has a scent that gets the Dog Fish to move on but doesn't slow the halibut bite at all. the fresher the better.... Plus adam these are not sharks haha spiny dog fish.
    Spiny dogfish have a daily limit of five. You can only use the head, tails, fins, and viscera (guts).

Page 7, bottom-right "Use Of Sport-Caught Fish As Bait"

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...egulations.pdf
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Spiny dogfish have a daily limit of five. You can only use the head, tails, fins, and viscera (guts).

Page 7, bottom-right "Use Of Sport-Caught Fish As Bait"

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/ap...egulations.pdf

• bait means any substance applied to fishing gear for the purpose of attracting fish by scent, including fish eggs in any form, natural or preserved animal, fish, fish oil, shellfish, or insect parts, natural or processed vegetable matter, and natural or synthetic chemicals.

Thanks FG but the OP mentioned nothing about applying to fishing gear and the purpose was to repel, not attract.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast