Thread: New axle or spindle refurb

Default New axle or spindle refurb

Looks like I need to get a new axle for a boat trailer that had bearing failure on one side.

I had to change an axle on my old boat trailer about 5 years ago and from looking around town 6 Robblees was the only place in town (Anchorage) that was selling trailer axles. Is this still the case and it's the only place for a new axle?

Also is there any machine shops in Anchorage that could fix up a scored spindle or replace just one welded spindle? 5 years ago I was told the cost of doing so would be about the same as a whole new axle.

Trailer Craft

Figure it this way....Welding shop rate is about $100 an hour. You have to get it to the shop. Then you are looking at almost a 2 hour repair or a little more. You have to disassembly, take measurements, cut the old one out, clean the galv off the weld area, set new spindle, weld it, hot galv it to prevent rust (don't cold zinc this repair) reassemble. Other thing better to have the boat off the trailer.

Versus....whole new axle with all new running gear complete ~$250 to $300. About one hour to swap it out.

Now couple things to consider. Good time for upgrade to disc brakes and/or torsion suspension axles. Now the torsion axle would require a little more fab work but will make the trailer pull/handle alot better then a spring setup. Just a little food for thought.

Please tell me this is not a Red boat being towed by a Black Ford..........

Quote Originally Posted by Dupont Spinner View Post
    Figure it this way....Welding shop rate is about $100 an hour. You have to get it to the shop. Then you are looking at almost a 2 hour repair or a little more. You have to disassembly, take measurements, cut the old one out, clean the galv off the weld area, set new spindle, weld it, hot galv it to prevent rust (don't cold zinc this repair) reassemble. Other thing better to have the boat off the trailer.

Versus....whole new axle with all new running gear complete ~$250 to $300. About one hour to swap it out.

Now couple things to consider. Good time for upgrade to disc brakes and/or torsion suspension axles. Now the torsion axle would require a little more fab work but will make the trailer pull/handle alot better then a spring setup. Just a little food for thought.
    Yeah I'm going with a completely new axle/hubs/bearings, just thought I would check.

Please tell me this is not a Red boat being towed by a Black Ford..........
    It's an aluminum 22 footer, dark red and a blue F250 towing it.

Sitting on jack stands right now???

I knew I should have come beating on the door.

Sitting on jack stands right now???

I knew I should have come beating on the door.
    In Peters Creek yes, on jacks. It's my buddies boat and his house.

I'll probably be there tomorrow putting in the new axle in the afternoon if it's not raining too hard, feel free to stop by if you see me working on it, I can BS about boat stuff for hours.

Can do....I have a little longer day Thursday but never know where I am going to be. Pulled a broke Yukon off Turnagain Yesterday.