Thread: Wind Turbine

Default Wind Turbine

Looking for a couple of manufacturers of wind turbines that AK/YT folks have experience with. I recognize the variables of need, wind study, rated power, tower height, battery bank setup, rotor diameter...etc but I am just looking for a couple of manufacturers that folks have put to work up here. People are quick to list make and model for panels and generators but I have been unable to find this discussion. Thanks in advance.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

olga1913,,,,, get a hold of "Kirk" @ Susitna-Energy, in Anchorage on Fairbanks St. [907-337-1300]
    The "G"
    [ Retired and Living the "Dream" in Alaska, Semper-Fi ]

Thanks for the response and the link The G. I was able to see the lines they handle and get a sense for the options. That helped and I will make a contact with him the next time I am in town. I continue to hope for some input from folks that actually have turbines turning. Thanks again.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

I have no experience here but we do have a local shop here in Soldotna that sells them.
    Gary is a very reputable guy and also does solar panels etc. I know he would be able to tell you what his customers are having issues with or what works well.
    http://www.garysrenewableenergyak.co...&bc=1810636383
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Before you spend the money on a wind turbine get an logging anemometer and collect wind speed / duration numbers for a 6 months. Keep in mind wind turbine manufactures are VERY opportunistic with their numbers. Don't forget a decent tower for your windmill will cost a pretty penny too.

I live in a river valley and with good wind every evening. I've got my windmill on an 80 foot tower. By measuring the windmill's AC frequency I could calculate the turbines rpm. My 2kw windmill doesn't produce according to their chart. After a lot of phone calls they finally admitted their chart was "very optimistic". Because all their competitors charts were inflated so theirs was to compete.

A lot of research led me to three conclusions. 1. Don't eyeball wind speed, log it. 2. Take the windmills power chart with a LARGE grain of salt. 3. 90% of the time your money's better spent something else, (LED lights, more solar panels, etc )

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Before you spend the money on a wind turbine get an logging anemometer and collect wind speed / duration numbers for a 6 months. Keep in mind wind turbine manufactures are VERY opportunistic with their numbers. Don't forget a decent tower for your windmill will cost a pretty penny too.

I live in a river valley and with good wind every evening. I've got my windmill on an 80 foot tower. By measuring the windmill's AC frequency I could calculate the turbines rpm. My 2kw windmill doesn't produce according to their chart. After a lot of phone calls they finally admitted their chart was "very optimistic". Because all their competitors charts were inflated so theirs was to compete.

A lot of research led me to three conclusions. 1. Don't eyeball wind speed, log it. 2. Take the windmills power chart with a LARGE grain of salt. 3. 90% of the time your money's better spent something else, (LED lights, more solar panels, etc )

Curious as to how much you have invested...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I've had my system for about 6 years now. Without trying to find recepts, ballpark about $3,800.

For that I got a 2kw windmill on an 80 foot tower. I was expecting 500 to 800 watts a day average. What I'm getting is 200 to 300 watts a day. My biggest mistake was trying to estimate wind speed / duration by observing the movement of the surrounding tree tops. To get 500 watts the surrounding trees are REALLY moving. The constant movement I observed will spin the windmill, just not fast enough to generate any real power.

So, my biggest mistake was guessing at the wind speed and not using an anemometer to get hard numbers. I was using meteorological reference material on estimating wind speed using tree movement. My second mistake was believing their power charts. Put the two together and I ended up with 200 watts a day. I could have got an equivalent amount of power by replacing three or four 60 watt light bulbs with LED'S and saved $3,750.