Thread: North Slope Caribou Hunt (Bow)

Default North Slope Caribou Hunt (Bow)

Someone said I should report this in the bow hunting section: A friend from work is going up north to bow hunt caribou this upcoming week. He has everything needed but is wanting to know if anyone has any advice on how far north to go. He's not on the forum so I'm posting on his behalf. I've never been before so I couldn't pass any knowledge information along unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drive north until you see some, then plan on focusing on that general area. they move...ALOT, so don't plan on hunting the same group for more than a couple hours. Make sure he has the Bowhunters certification card with him. Wear good boots and be prepared for just about any weather. I'll be going, but not until the end of August/start of September. This early you may end up almost near the deadhorse prudhoe bay closed area.

Tell him to Look around Finger mountain on his way up.

We have seen groups of bous there almost every time we go north.

They hang out in the Boulders so you really have to glass good.

Most folks just drive on by & don't realize they are passing caribou & not on the north slope yet.

As soon as you come off Adigan pass Start looking.

They can be anywhere as stated.

You can drive all the way to Deadhorse & not see one then 30 minutes later you see several groups.

If it is Hot ( above 50 degrees the caribou will likely be laying down & putting there muzzles in the moss to keep the bugs out .

So all you will see is the antlers on the tundra.

There is a road just north of the Kapurik river bridge that he can walk in for about 2 miles then there is a Wooden Board walk that goes another mile or so . Save a LOT of Tundra bustin.

Also gets you to a higher location so you can see down in the rolly polly hills in case they are feeding down there.

I am going up the Ivishak about the 3rd week of August in my airboat.

We have seen caribou anywhere from August 1 to the end of October up there.

some times the pickins can be VERY slim & some times THOUSANDS are coming along the road.

Be patient.

Also if he does kill a bou make SURE to take ALL of the edible meat.

The Troopers up there don't give breaks , they give tickets.

Good luck
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    Custom Taxidermy, Experience the difference !!

One thing to be wary about regarding the road mentioned in previous post: if you walk 5 miles out that way, you may still be within 5 miles of the road, since the road does a ~90-degree bend in that area. If you are at all close to the Kuparuk River, you're not 5 from the road. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    One thing to be wary about regarding the road mentioned in previous post: if you walk 5 miles out that way, you may still be within 5 miles of the road, since the road does a ~90-degree bend in that area. If you are at all close to the Kuparuk River, you're not 5 from the road. -Gr
    Did you miss that it is going to be a bow hunt? He won't have to worry about it....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by protaxidermy View Post
    Tell him to Look around Finger mountain on his way up.

We have seen groups of bous there almost every time we go north.

They hang out in the Boulders so you really have to glass good.

Most folks just drive on by & don't realize they are passing caribou & not on the north slope yet.

As soon as you come off Adigan pass Start looking.

They can be anywhere as stated.

You can drive all the way to Deadhorse & not see one then 30 minutes later you see several groups.

If it is Hot ( above 50 degrees the caribou will likely be laying down & putting there muzzles in the moss to keep the bugs out .

So all you will see is the antlers on the tundra.

There is a road just north of the Kapurik river bridge that he can walk in for about 2 miles then there is a Wooden Board walk that goes another mile or so . Save a LOT of Tundra bustin.

Also gets you to a higher location so you can see down in the rolly polly hills in case they are feeding down there.

I am going up the Ivishak about the 3rd week of August in my airboat.

We have seen caribou anywhere from August 1 to the end of October up there.

some times the pickins can be VERY slim & some times THOUSANDS are coming along the road.

Be patient.

Also if he does kill a bou make SURE to take ALL of the edible meat.

The Troopers up there don't give breaks , they give tickets.

Good luck
    RJ Simington
    PRO Taxidermy Fairbanks
    RJ, thanks for all the info!! Do you think it would be worth my time to drive up to the finger mountains this weekend? I may run up and glass it out. Also, I know further north is now only for the first 5 miles, what about the finger mountains, bow only or rifle allowed?

Good to know, I think I'm personally waiting until late August/Sept.

Referring to the Kaparuk river, are you talking about up by Prudhoe Bay or does the haul road cross it somewhere further south? I see the Kaparuk is about 200 miles long.

The 5 mile corridor begins at the Yukon River, so anything north of that, which includes Finger Mountain. I did catch that it was a bow hunt, but some other silent folks reading this might be rifle hunting, so I thought I'd throw it out there. And yes, the Haul Road does cross the Kuparuk River near its headwaters between Toolik Lake and Pump 3. From there, the Kuparuk meanders a bit west of the Sag as they both make their way north. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

The 5 mile corridor begins at the Yukon River, so anything north of that, which includes Finger Mountain. I did catch that it was a bow hunt, but some other silent folks reading this might be rifle hunting, so I thought I'd throw it out there. And yes, the Haul Road does cross the Kuparuk River near its headwaters between Toolik Lake and Pump 3. From there, the Kuparuk meanders a bit west of the Sag as they both make their way north. -Gr
    Sweet, thanks for the info. Definitely what I needed to plan it out. Do you think Finger Mountain would possibly have Caribou this weekend or later in the fall?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahHix View Post
    Sweet, thanks for the info. Definitely what I needed to plan it out. Do you think Finger Mountain would possibly have Caribou this weekend or later in the fall?

Could be some there basically any time. I've not seen them there before, but heard of folks seeing them basically any time from July - October. I don't think you'll see big group or herds there, at least not this time of the year, but if there's a couple animals near the road, it might be worth a look. To be honest, it's a pretty spot and a cool rock formation, so not a bad place to get out of the car and get some fresh air regardless. Glass around a little with your binoculars, and if you see something, maybe think about going after it. Also might be a good place to camp, depending on timing of your trip up or down, and that way you have the opportunity to capitalize on something moving through in the late evening or early morning. All that said, however, I wouldn't focus too much on Finger Mountain. The Haul Road hunt has a high success rate mostly due to the numbers - there are just a LOT of caribou up there - and the numbers are further north. Give it a look on your way through, but that's about it. -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

One more very important note: My read of the regs and the map says that Finger Mountain is near the boundary of unit 24A (south of Kanuti River regulations apply) and 25D (drained by West fork of the Dall River regulations apply). For either area, legal season begins August 10th, and bag limit is 1 caribou. So if you're going up in the next couple weeks, this area WILL NOT YET BE OPEN TO CARIBOU HUNTING. Also, if you are on the unit 24 side of the boundary, you must leave the meat on the bone. This is just my quick read of the regs, so if anyone else sees it differently, I won't argue, but I think Finger Mountain is around MP 100 (from Livengood side). With the single caribou bag limit, that also means that you can hunt it on the way up, but not on the way down if you tagged any caribou up on the slope. Read them regs, boys n girls! -Gr
    My signature is awesome.

One more very important note: My read of the regs and the map says that Finger Mountain is near the boundary of unit 24A (south of Kanuti River regulations apply) and 25D (drained by West fork of the Dall River regulations apply). For either area, legal season begins August 10th, and bag limit is 1 caribou. So if you're going up in the next couple weeks, this area WILL NOT YET BE OPEN TO CARIBOU HUNTING. Also, if you are on the unit 24 side of the boundary, you must leave the meat on the bone. This is just my quick read of the regs, so if anyone else sees it differently, I won't argue, but I think Finger Mountain is around MP 100 (from Livengood side). With the single caribou bag limit, that also means that you can hunt it on the way up, but not on the way down if you tagged any caribou up on the slope. Read them regs, boys n girls! -Gr
    Great catch. I was reading today and found it to be in 24A/25D and saw the bag limit and season opening. I think I'm waiting to go up, I found out today that my truck wouldn't be ready to pick up from the Diesel Doctor until next week. Stinks but at least it will be nice and road worthy.

If anyone has been up north in the past few days can you give me an idea of where you are seeing the Caribou? A friend is heading up tomorrow. Thanks!

Went up this past weekend, it was kinda brutal. Snowing on atigun and the high hill jist south of kaparuk, saw 2 cows in the distant all weekend and we were glassing hard, at all times of the day, didnt matter. Hiked out to a few taller hills to do some glassing and the bugs are still pretty bad, some mosquitos and alot of tiny fly deals.Saw a ton of muskox and i think we should collectively submitting to the BOG that they should open a draw season for even like 2 tags. The road was all messed up i think partly due to the recent rains but whats new. Construction in multiple areas cut into the time to actually glass. The road was slicker than goose ****, snow and construction made atigun a one lane **** show. Further north at one construction site it was a 3 hour wait for a pilot car, was even a long wait for a construction site south of chandalar, that wait was long enough i got out and started picking blueberries.

I appreciate the info. He said he might call it and not go today if that's the case. Are you referring to this past weekend as in Friday through yesterday?

Yes, 5 jul-31 jul

Default North Slope Caribou Hunt (Bow)

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfighter View Post
    Yes, 5 jul-31 jul
    Well I might have to go up around September and see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkfighter View Post
    ....the bugs are still pretty bad, some mosquitos and alot of tiny fly deals.....
    Ha...!!! Been here long have ya? Those "tiny fly deals" are what is known as "white sox". Those are the ones that are known to drive caribou mad. So if you ever see a caribou jumping around, running about, shaking violently, stopping for a minute and doing it all over again, you will know that it's caused by those "tiny fly deals".....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Actually the warble fly and the bot fly are the ones usually mentioned as driving the caribou insane, resulting in the caribou running around and acting crazy.