Thread: Were is it LEGAL to look for & take Mammoth Tusks for a No-Native person

Supporting Member

Lightbulb Were is it LEGAL to look for & take Mammoth Tusks for a No-Native person

Were is it LEGAL to look for & take Mammoth Tusks for a No-Native person!.Or private ownership land. Found on beaches or land with in 1/4 mile of the ocean !and,and In rivers beds .&Easements ?
    I want to go looking for mammoth tusks but want to find a LEGAL way to do so.
    It seems very hard for Non Native people hunt for mammoth tusks legally with out private land ownership permission
    "Black bear scat is full of grass and smells like berries. Grizzly bear scat is full of bells and smells like pepper spray.

Quote Originally Posted by crocodiledundee View Post

It seems very hard for Non Native people hunt for mammoth tusks legally with out private land ownership permission
    Not just difficult, but impossible.

Not sure, but the same may apply to indigenous people off their native land claims also.

Quote Originally Posted by crocodiledundee View Post
    Were is it LEGAL to look for & take Mammoth Tusks for a No-Native person!.
    I've never heard anything to the contrary, (so I could be wrong) but as far as I know there isn't anywhere as a non-native up here. You might give "strangerinastrangeland" here on the forum a pm and I'm sure he can lay you out on it as he his family hunts for them. Or maybe he'll see this thread and respond....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I think it's legal on Federal patented mining claims, definitely not on state mining claims. I know a miner over by McGrath that finds lots of tusks in his overburden.

Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip I will PM "strangerinastrangeland" and see if he has any tips too.

"Black bear scat is full of grass and smells like berries. Grizzly bear scat is full of bells and smells like pepper spray.

If on State land the State wants it or you to leave it there. Same on Federal and Native land. So it is difficult to find a place where you can legally keep one. But once you get one home who really knows where you got it!!!

I know you didn't mention walrus tusks but they are neat to have. There are many ways to collect those legally.

I see your profile says Australia so you may want to be sure you can get it out of the USA legally and import it into Australia as well.
    I know some people who have some. I know one gentleman who has a couple that were gifted to him and I know one gentleman who just kept his mouth shut and was not caught after he found some somewhere many many years ago.
    I know if I knew of a legal area that had them where I knew they could be found I certainly wouldn't be posting on the internet of where this was just saying.....
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"