Thread: Seward camping and fishing?

Default Seward camping and fishing?

Can any of you guys/gals recommend any campgrounds or cabins in seward? And what is best to fish for in september? Halibut charter recommendations? Thanks for any info. I have never been there and thought of checking it out on this trip.. Also, would homer be better than seward for halibut? Thanks!!

There are a lot of nice city owned campgrounds down by the waterfront, its like $5 night and in september, there won't be as many poeple. You'll be fishing for silvers if your going for salmon, my favorite.

Yep the city owned campgrounds are the way to go. In sept. you can snag silvers from the beach. Sept. is getting a little late for Halibut check on how the fishing is before you book. Don't forget to bring your rain gear

Thanks for the heads up

Cool Seward in July

Is there any beach fishing in Seward in July? Any species in saltwater.

Most of the beach fishing is for silvers in late Aug, a week or so after the derby. Also in June for Kings. Rock fish should be available any time but I have never fished for them from shore. If you are going in July, I would consider a combo (Halibut & Salmon) Charter. Another option is to rent a skiff. If you can make it out near pony cove you have a good chance of catching silvers. Bottom fish are always available along the rocky shore lines. Keep an eye on the weather as it can change very quickly. Also be aware that the many tour boats especially the cat type throw a huge wake so you really need to pay attention.
    Good luck and Good fishing

Saw some guys fishing from shore next to the small boat harbor yesterday. They were crowded around a little creek/culvert. Watched one guy catch a king. Looked like they were trying to snag them. The one king was hooked in the side. Didn't look like much fun with all the people so close together. Several times the hooks would come flying out of the water when they were ripping on them pretty hard.

Saw another guy hook a nice king trolling from a boat. I'm assuming both fish were kings due to the size and season. Wasn't actually close enough to tell if they were Kings or big Silvers.

The snaggers were about 200 yards from a campground.