Thread: North Slope Caribou Hunt (Bow)

Default North Slope Caribou Hunt (Bow)

A friend from work is going up north to bow hunt caribou. He has everything needed but is wanting to know if anyone has any advice on how far north to go. He's not on the forum so I'm posting on his behalf. I've never been before so I couldn't pass any knowledge information along unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far north as the caribou are. Not being smart but there's no real way to know where they'll be until you head north. They could be in one drainage today and miles away tomorrow. You could run into a group as far south as finger mountain or not see any the entire trip. Much of it depends on when he is planning on going. In August and September, you might find them scattered in small groups, whereas in October/November, they'll most likely be in large groups/herds. Early season has longer days but the possibility of bugs or swarms of bugs; where late in the fall/winter, the days will be shorter and the temperature possibly much colder. Last year in August we had snow, rain, sun and temps from the upper 20's to upper 70's. In October, temps were around -20 and the ground completely snow covered.

We normally float hunt from August 24-30th looking for grizzly and velvet antlered bulls and then return in early October for a meat hunt only. Bulls in October will most likely be rutting and not the best table fare.

Regardless of when he plans to go, be prepared for winter travel and take your time. It can snow any day of the year or be in the 90's with swarms of bugs. Its an awesome trip that for me is worth every mile of the drive. If you're road hunting, be prepared for plenty of other hunters and the occasional idiot that has little to no courtesy for you or anyone else.

Recommend that you post or ask an admin to move this to the bow hunting thread for better replies.

Thank you for the info, I didn't see the bow hunting thread, I'll check it out. He's going next week from what I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by Goody View Post
    Bulls in October will most likely be rutting and not the best table fare.
    The first two weeks for sure, and aren't ANY kind of table fare......lol

Oh and Jeremiah.....caribou are where ya find em'. They don't call em' the nomads of the north for nothing.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

How will he know when to stop and walk? Are there any signs of them near the road?

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahHix View Post
    How will he know when to stop and walk? Are there any signs of them near the road?

Sometimes a person can dang near kill them from the road if he gets lucky and plans it right. But basically you just drive till you spot them and devise a plan to intercept....

Nice. That's what he was wondering. I might end up going up as well. Not quite sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JeremiahHix View Post
    Nice. That's what he was wondering. I might end up going up as well. Not quite sure yet.

Yeah, if you've never been up there it's worth the trip.....talk about wide open spaces...!!!

If going July or August, chances are the 'bou will be near the coast and nothing south of Atigun Pass. Most likely north of Pump Station 3 as well. My best advice is to have the best optics you can afford as you will be doing lots of glassing most likely. You also need to prepare for tons and tons of insects. Last, if you take something down, the meat needs to be cooled quickly, kept dry, and protected for the flies. I love this hunt myself, but it's not for the weak of heart.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

I suggest heading to the hill above pump station 2, it is a good place to glass. If you don't see them there drive keep driving north. This early I would focus my efforts as far north as the boundary line a few miles out of Deadhorse all the way south to Ice cut or Happy Valley (the airstip on the side of the road) The caribou are closer to the end of the road this time of year and for the most part are heading from west to east. Towards the end of September, especially when the snow starts to fly, the cows and younger bulls will herd up and start heading to the mountains by the hundreds. The big bulls seem to be the last to head out in my experience. As everyone says though, bring lots of gas, and just drive until you find them. The Brooks got several inches of snow on the north side of the pass this past week, but I'd expect it will melt off soon if it already hasn't. (so be prepared for anything) There really is no secret spot on this hunt, and even without any pointers from this thread you will learn quickly how to hunt the bou up here. More times than not it is seeing other hunters stopped on the side of the road glassy them in the distance. Tell your buddy to be courteous to others, I have had many stalks blown over the years from people not as courteous as me. ( Don't stop on the road to watch someone making a stalk on inbound bou) Moving traffic doesn't seem to phase them, but as soon as you stop they get nervous. Especially after having been chased for a hundred miles. If you ever let them get in front of you it's over. If its hot, they might bed down on the cut banks of the river, so if your up for a walk it'd be a good place to check out. Bring a fishing pole and grayling gear, you can catch them pretty much anywhere along the sag. Bring gas, more gas (you can get more at the gas station in deadhorse) , 2 spare tires, and firewood if you want to have a fire. No trees on the tundra... Oh, and slow down and pull to the side for oncoming semi's, they slow down for no man. (this will save your windshield) If you get an opportunity take it, because you may only get one. Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by akcrewdog View Post
    I suggest heading to the hill above pump station 2, it is a good place to glass. If you don't see them there drive keep driving north. This early I would focus my efforts as far north as the boundary line a few miles out of Deadhorse all the way south to Ice cut or Happy Valley (the airstip on the side of the road) The caribou are closer to the end of the road this time of year and for the most part are heading from west to east. Towards the end of September, especially when the snow starts to fly, the cows and younger bulls will herd up and start heading to the mountains by the hundreds. The big bulls seem to be the last to head out in my experience. As everyone says though, bring lots of gas, and just drive until you find them. The Brooks got several inches of snow on the north side of the pass this past week, but I'd expect it will melt off soon if it already hasn't. (so be prepared for anything) There really is no secret spot on this hunt, and even without any pointers from this thread you will learn quickly how to hunt the bou up here. More times than not it is seeing other hunters stopped on the side of the road glassy them in the distance. Tell your buddy to be courteous to others, I have had many stalks blown over the years from people not as courteous as me. ( Don't stop on the road to watch someone making a stalk on inbound bou) Moving traffic doesn't seem to phase them, but as soon as you stop they get nervous. Especially after having been chased for a hundred miles. If you ever let them get in front of you it's over. If its hot, they might bed down on the cut banks of the river, so if your up for a walk it'd be a good place to check out. Bring a fishing pole and grayling gear, you can catch them pretty much anywhere along the sag. Bring gas, more gas (you can get more at the gas station in deadhorse) , 2 spare tires, and firewood if you want to have a fire. No trees on the tundra... Oh, and slow down and pull to the side for oncoming semi's, they slow down for no man. (this will save your windshield) If you get an opportunity take it, because you may only get one. Have fun!
    Great rundown for me. I greatly appreciate it!! If you were going to go up, when would you go?

Well I love Alaska, I am anxious to get up there!