Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: They took our Jeeeobs!

  1. #1

    Default They took our Jeeeobs!



    Don't know what else to say. Southpark fans will get it. I think this is something the AOJ FB guy cooked up.

    Someone should write a letter to the commish of the DOT requesting the cessation of all commerce and commuting on the Glen Highway for the week of the State Fair. Peninsula residents depend on having a relaxing time driving the highway and need to have open access to the stores for back to school shopping. We want the shelves stocked and checkouts manned but no traffic on the road.

  2. #2

    Default

    Wow, must have missed this? Me and all my buddies were busy flossing reds today . Glad I spent the day fishing instead of sitting on my computer complaining about the lack of fish. Water conditions are high and challenging, but it's still plenty fishable.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    i

    Don't know what else to say. Southpark fans will get it. I think this is something the AOJ FB guy cooked up.

    Someone should write a letter to the commish of the DOT requesting the cessation of all commerce and commuting on the Glen Highway for the week of the State Fair. Peninsula residents depend on having a relaxing time driving the highway and need to have open access to the stores for back to school shopping. We want the shelves stocked and checkouts manned but no traffic on the road.
    The driving in the fall on the Glenn during the fair is trouble free because they have state funding for police troopers all the things necessary dot help to change traffic pattern etc UNLIKE what the Kenai area gets which is nothing I've heard.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kidfromgarcia View Post
    The driving in the fall on the Glenn during the fair is trouble free because they have state funding for police troopers all the things necessary dot help to change traffic pattern etc UNLIKE what the Kenai area gets which is nothing I've heard.
    C'mon now, that's not true. Kenai gets $20 for each car that parks, $55 for each night of camping, $35 for each boat launch, and $10 from each vehicle just dropping someone off!!

  5. #5
    Member SkinnyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    20B
    Posts
    1,379

    Default

    I like to fish and catch fish as well as the next guy, but I swear this is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard. A fair opportunity to harvest? What does that even mean?? Are the riverbanks closed? Is the conga line not dancing at Centennial?

    Furthermore, the economic argument doesn't hold one drop of water. If the idea is only to fill the freezer with salmon, there are cheaper and more efficient ways to do so. Like I said, I enjoy fishing, but that's it. I've never said I'm going harvesting when I carry my pole to the river. The time spent fishing is worth the trip. I can't come up with a tactful way to describe these whiners. They're not fishermen. They're gluttons.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    C'mon now, that's not true. Kenai gets $20 for each car that parks, $55 for each night of camping, $35 for each boat launch, and $10 from each vehicle just dropping someone off!!
    Ha. Kenai made a whopping $93K last year, most of which went right back into capital projects for the fishery. One dip netter can spend that much just on his RV and 4-wheelers! What the fishery costs the Kenai in other terms is...priceless. Kenai got stuck facilitating this fishery, so I'd like to see Kenai make millions from it. They could use those profits to support/improve their community's local commercial fishery - you know, that local industry that supports the community the other 11 months of the year.

  7. #7
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Funstastic View Post
    Ha. Kenai made a whopping $93K last year, most of which went right back into capital projects for the fishery. One dip netter can spend that much just on his RV and 4-wheelers! What the fishery costs the Kenai in other terms is...priceless. Kenai got stuck facilitating this fishery, so I'd like to see Kenai make millions from it. They could use those profits to support/improve their community's local commercial fishery - you know, that local industry that supports the community the other 11 months of the year.
    Sure! Stimulus checks for commies! That'll make reparations for the "economic losses" incurred on them by sport and PU! Hmm lets see, I saw about 12 fish get landed on the Kasilof yesterday ( same as a couple days before)...divvied up amongst all the fleet, where should I send the nickel?
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,033

    Default





    52,000 more sockeye available to harvest yesterday alone. Three-quarters of a million in all. My permit is full, just like my freezer.

    If only I had a reasonable opportunity, and could take control of my own destiny.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Sure! Stimulus checks for commies! That'll make reparations for the "economic losses" incurred on them by sport and PU! Hmm lets see, I saw about 12 fish get landed on the Kasilof yesterday ( same as a couple days before)...divvied up amongst all the fleet, where should I send the nickel?
    Sarcasm...sorry you didn't get it.

    Questions for you though: Why would you be fishing the Kasilof yesterday when 52,000 sockeye were available on the Kenai - three-quarters of a million in all - and that's only so far. Also, if the fishery is so bad, why are so many people fishing, and why in the world are we trying so hard to accommodate it?

    cdubbin, don't forget to send your e-mail to the Commissioner. In the mean time....Click-click, there goes another one by the counter.

  10. #10
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Funstastic View Post
    Sarcasm...sorry you didn't get it.

    Questions for you though: Why would you be fishing the Kasilof yesterday when 52,000 sockeye were available on the Kenai - three-quarters of a million in all - and that's only so far. Also, if the fishery is so bad, why are so many people fishing, and why in the world are we trying so hard to accommodate it?

    cdubbin, don't forget to send your e-mail to the Commissioner. In the mean time....Click-click, there goes another one by the counter.
    Maybe you were being sarcastic, but believe you me the drift fleet is not...and they are masters at lobbying. I fish Kasilof because I've always done so, it's a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere, closer to my home, and the fish, albeit smaller, have always been there....maybe it is time to switch strategies...
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    C'mon now, that's not true. Kenai gets $20 for each car that parks, $55 for each night of camping, $35 for each boat launch, and $10 from each vehicle just dropping someone off!!
    You pay to park at fair, pay to get in pay for nearby camping same deal nothing is free but that borough gets money for fair support so they have guaranteed capital other than what the people who come spend. The difference is they do not have to rely on fair visitation to provide the support services the dip net fishery does it is a huge difference.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    155

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SkinnyD View Post
    I like to fish and catch fish as well as the next guy, but I swear this is the most ridiculous argument I've ever heard. A fair opportunity to harvest? What does that even mean?? Are the riverbanks closed? Is the conga line not dancing at Centennial?

    Furthermore, the economic argument doesn't hold one drop of water. If the idea is only to fill the freezer with salmon, there are cheaper and more efficient ways to do so. Like I said, I enjoy fishing, but that's it. I've never said I'm going harvesting when I carry my pole to the river. The time spent fishing is worth the trip. I can't come up with a tactful way to describe these whiners. They're not fishermen. They're gluttons.
    I think the same. I do not know how anyone can complain about the freedom they have to come and do it. I found the letter online it is a not very interesting letter. just because one has a commercial permit and the other a free harvest PU permit doesn't make it unfair. That's just what it is what do they expect? Stick a dip net in the river and it fills with fish?

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    I fish Kasilof because I've always done so, it's a relaxed, family-friendly atmosphere, closer to my home, and the fish, albeit smaller, have always been there....maybe it is time to switch strategies...
    Well you paid for your lack of flexibility and preparation with a less than optimal harvest. I hope you still had a good time. A little bit of local knowledge would have showed you that the Kasilof run is below average and has fallen of recently, while the Kenai run is coming in quite strong right now. If you were playing the numbers game you should have driven the extra 15 miles. You have only yourself to blame for not doing so. If you were just looking to get out and go fishing then mission accomplished.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default regulations with numbers..

    The traffic is manageable because the troupers have real numbers in the laws and regulations that they enforce - speed limits, cars backed up before pulling over etc. while the regulations for the reds using ambiguous terms like "consideration" and "opportunity" and the like. Until we get definable goals for the sport and personal use fishermen we will continue to get the treatment we are experiencing.


    Quote Originally Posted by kidfromgarcia View Post
    The driving in the fall on the Glenn during the fair is trouble free because they have state funding for police troopers all the things necessary dot help to change traffic pattern etc UNLIKE what the Kenai area gets which is nothing I've heard.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  15. #15
    Member cdubbin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    KP, the dingleberry of Alaska
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Well you paid for your lack of flexibility and preparation with a less than optimal harvest. I hope you still had a good time. A little bit of local knowledge would have showed you that the Kasilof run is below average and has fallen of recently, while the Kenai run is coming in quite strong right now. If you were playing the numbers game you should have driven the extra 15 miles. You have only yourself to blame for not doing so. If you were just looking to get out and go fishing then mission accomplished.
    Yepper...the fishing's more important than the fish...hope I always feel that way. Doubt I'll ever take part of the mess on the Kenai. Kasilof might still pick up, I'm hoping....
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

  16. #16
    Member cod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Ak.
    Posts
    2,210

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cdubbin View Post
    Yepper...the fishing's more important than the fish...hope I always feel that way. Doubt I'll ever take part of the mess on the Kenai. Kasilof might still pick up, I'm hoping....
    I'm kinda with u, dubbin. It's 'fishing', not 'catching' that counts. I been avoiding the Kenai fishery myself for the most part. In fact I have a hard time wanting to go to lower Kasilof cuz of the crowds. I prefer to try (even unsuccessfully) the fed fishery on the other parts of Kasilof more often than not. I almost always have fish in the freezer one way or another.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    ...while the regulations for the reds using ambiguous terms like "consideration" and "opportunity" and the like. Until we get definable goals for the sport and personal use fishermen we will continue to get the treatment we are experiencing.
    They clearly state each year what the escapement goal is in real numbers. I don't remember the exact number this year, but usually it's somewhere within a range of 700,000 - 1,200,000. As of Saturday, they were at 728,000 for the season, which means there has been plenty of defined opportunity that simply snuck past the dippers and sporties fishing below the counter. Quit whining, go fishing, and maybe you'll do some catching.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •