Thread: Eats in Cantwell?

Default Eats in Cantwell?

The last time I was up there(over a year), the Longhorn was closed and the only place open was the light blue gas station, restaurant, hotel on the west side before the Denali cut off. Does anyone know the status of any food places in Cantwell. Planning our trip through the Denali Hwy for caribou and that's usually where we eat before we push east.

Thanks!
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Has long been far better places than Cantwell to eat just a few more miles up the road - Carlo Cr., etc., if you want a break.
    Don't remember all the names, but I'm sure you can find out. The gas station/convenience store on the east side just barely past the cut-off has a few tables and some basic eats.

I just bring good food for the duration.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

yep. drive up to healy much more to choose from.

I personally wouldn't detour up to Healy and back just for a bite to eat. The little cafe next to the Chevron is just fine or, depending how far east you plan to go, a stop at the Alpine Creek Lodge would be in order. Either way, just know that if you go Cantwell to Healy - eat a meal - Healy back to Cantwell, you'll likely burn a solid three hours.

Just a little ways up the road from Cant(eat)well. http://www.denaliperchresort.com/restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Hughiam View Post
    The last time I was up there(over a year), the Longhorn was closed and the only place open was the light blue gas station, restaurant, hotel on the west side before the Denali cut off. Does anyone know the status of any food places in Cantwell. Planning our trip through the Denali Hwy for caribou and that's usually where we eat before we push east.

Thanks!
    im sitting in Cantwell for work right now. There are the 2 gas stations and the cafe at one of them that is very sporadically open. I would not count on the cafe for for a meal. Up the road appx 13 miles is Panorama pizza and Creeksode cafe. I have been to the pizza place a couple of times and it's pretty good. Good luck.
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Yep, those places just up the road a short ways are the best choices if you want to dine out.
    Might want to call for hrs. & I believe at least two outta three are seasonal.

Last year we had our caribou approximately within the time it would take you go to Healy, dine, and back.
    "Punish the monkey - let the organ grinder go" - Mark Knopfler

FYI
    the light blue gas station, does not take cash I was up there last month and stop in to get a munchy and had to use the card

Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    im sitting in Cantwell for work right now. There are the 2 gas stations and the cafe at one of them that is very sporadically open. I would not count on the cafe for for a meal. Up the road appx 13 miles is Panorama pizza and Creeksode cafe. I have been to the pizza place a couple of times and it's pretty good. Good luck.
    The creekside cafe is great.

thanks All,

I should mention we are staying at Alpine Creek. We usually stop in Cantwell to stretch our legs, eat and gas up.
    Good Luck everyone.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer