Thread: Chilkoot River Sockeye Haines --- how to fish for them?

Default Chilkoot River Sockeye Haines --- how to fish for them?

Next weekend I will be up in Haines for the SE Alaska State Fair, and every year I fish the Chilkoot for sockeye... unsucessfully. I catch dollies and pinks, but almost never sockeye. But I don't feel bad because almost nobody seems to catch sockeye on that river. I am saltwater guy. The river is not clear, nor thick mud glacial, but it is opaque so you can't see them.

So who has advice on how to fish for sockeye on the Chilkoot?

Sobie2

Darn no replies? Not enough information or nobody knows how to fish it? This time around I plan on using a Klutina River type setup as ADF&G describes on their Vimeo video. It is a slinky weight at your swivel with about 18" or so inches then a fly or egg or yarn on a hook and you cast upstream 45 deg and bounce the bottom till its 45 deg below you. I don't know if I can also use this with something big like a 1 oz Pixee.

Sobie2

RED's don't bite well it is more like getting it in there mouth as they open it , or just snag it an hope it is in the mouth , in fresh wate,r
    Salt water I think you can snag , could be wrong check with local fish an game people an the regs in the book
    never have fished where you will be fishing, SID

On Friday the weir count was 32 sockeye for the day. At the end of Saturday the daily sockeye was over 1,100. But alas, I only hooked into one sockeye... for only a moment. I did not see anybody catch a sockeye on Saturday. But they were jumping and flipping in the part of the river I was fishing. More investigation is required to pinpoint their path upstream.

Sobie2

Normally they are not too far from the shore.