Thread: Ruger American 17 HMR

Default Ruger American 17 HMR

I need some help/advice from some people who are more familiar with this caliber than I am. I found someone who is selling a brand new Ruger American 17 HMR for $250. He is firm on his price. I was wondering if this is a good price or not. It sounds like a good price. I could shop around for awhile to compare, but if I wait to long I'm afraid it will be sold. I want to buy this for my son for his first gun for his birthday and because he recently passed hunter safety. I thought it would be a good starter gun for small game, varmint hunting, and predator hunting. These are a few questions I have.

Is $250 a good price?
    Is this a good choice for small game, varmint hunting, and predator hunting?
    Is this gun a rimfire or centerfire rifle?

Thanks for any advice, I've never owned, shot or used this caliber before.

I have a CZ 455 17 HMR and it is a blast to shoot. A lil tack driver. I don't know much about the ruger other than what I read and looked at before selecting the CZ. Looked like a good little rifle MSRP is between $360 and $380. Honestly I would have got the ruger but liked the wood stock and heavy barrel on the other one. I'm gonna say $250 isn't a bad price.
    I have never hunted mine, it's a range toy but I've been told the 17 will destroy bunnys and little critters.

17HMR is a rimfire round. I've shot and hunted with this cartridge.

I own two and have dealt with several Ruger Americans in various cartridges...they all seem to shoot pretty well, some fantastic.

$250 is a pretty decent price for a used one in good shape.

The 17HMR makes a good varmint and small game gun, my only criticism is that they can be pretty hard on the eating parts if you shoot close or use the 17grain bullet. Think of it more like a 75-100 yard grouse and bunny sniper. I've shot heads off grouse with one up close but a body shot is pretty destructive. I'd use one on fox under a 100 yards, probably not on a coyote although I know folks who have.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

We have a place down south in the heart of good prairie dog country, so lots of 17HMR's on hand. The Ruger and the CZ are consistently the most accurate of all brands.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    I need some help/advice from some people who are more familiar with this caliber than I am. I found someone who is selling a brand new Ruger American 17 HMR for $250. He is firm on his price. I was wondering if this is a good price or not. It sounds like a good price. I could shop around for awhile to compare, but if I wait to long I'm afraid it will be sold. I want to buy this for my son for his first gun for his birthday and because he recently passed hunter safety. I thought it would be a good starter gun for small game, varmint hunting, and predator hunting. These are a few questions I have.

Is $250 a good price?
    Is this a good choice for small game, varmint hunting, and predator hunting?
    Is this gun a rimfire or centerfire rifle?

Thanks for any advice, I've never owned, shot or used this caliber before.
    Great round, so much so I only have a pistol left in .22 as I went to almost exclusively .17 HMR for rimfire. Great fun at the range and very accurate. Wind will push the little bullet a bit though. For hunting it is ALL about the bullet selection. FMJ will just zip through any game, including grouse, with little to no damage. I shot a grouse one time 5 times thinking I was pulling the shots but when I recovered it, 5 little tiny holes that produced very little damage. I only hunt with hollow points when looking to harvest the animal. Plenty of lethality with minimal meat loss. Once you are dialed in however you should be able to take head shots with confidence out to 50-80 yards. If predator hunting the ballistic tip bullets will make it look like what you hit swallowed a grenade.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat for $250. 17HMR ammo is cheaper that 22lr with twice the performance.

Used to be that 22 Mag dominated the rimfire scene there in prairie dog country. Now I don't know a single person who hasn't switched to the 17. It's so much more accurate out of almost any gun, there's no contest.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Thanks guys. Already bought it. It was brand new, just out of the box too. Not really sure why the guy wanted to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Used to be that 22 Mag dominated the rimfire scene there in prairie dog country. Now I don't know a single person who hasn't switched to the 17. It's so much more accurate out of almost any gun, there's no contest.
    BB, I still have two 22 mags left. An old Marlin that I just refinished and it turned out pretty good. I also have a Henry 22 mag. Niether one will shoot with any 17HMR that I have ever shot. They kill better than a 22 by a bunch. The Marlin has clanked around behind the seat of my truck for a long time. It gets about as much care as a splitting wedge but still shoots minute of woodchuck at 50 yards and that's all I ask of it. The Henry is the Evil Roy Model and I bought it cuz I didn't have one and I am a lever gun nut. However for squirrels I have been grabbing my Ruger American 17HMR. I was skeptical when I got it because of the dirty barrel rumors that follow the 17 cal around. That has not been an issue with this Ruger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    Thanks guys. Already bought it. It was brand new, just out of the box too. Not really sure why the guy wanted to sell it.
    Mine shoots inch groups at 100 with a $34 Tasco 3x9 scope.

I think it will serve you well for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I was skeptical when I got it because of the dirty barrel rumors that follow the 17 cal around. That has not been an issue with this Ruger.
    That started back with the original Remington 17 in the 700, and it was well deserved. I got one the first year it came out, and the bore fouling was so bad, you'd be keyholing bullets before you finished a box of factory ammo. Solved it loading the Hornady bullet (and a whole lot of bore scrubbing to get rid of the Remington ammo fouling). I could shoot all day with the Hornady and still not have a spec of fouling. Remington changed the jackets on their 17 bullets within a year or two, and the issue was solved. But the bad rep stuck. Funny to hear it still lives to shadow the 17 HMR. About as much truth to it as we're going to hear from either side of the aisle this political season.
    Merle Haggard