Thread: Montague from Whittier

Default Montague from Whittier

Thinking of heading to Montague or Latouche Saturday. I usually just shoot straight from Crafton to the South tip of Knight. Shortest path possible.

Was just wondering if anyone had a better route. Is the water better sticking closer to Knight or the Mainland than out in the middle of the straight? Or even maybe the east side of Knight.

Just curious what others do.......
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Same route

DMan, I've been using the same route myself to fish the southern Passages (Latouche, Elrington, etc). Sometimes I'll hug the Knight Island side if the winds from the south, but most of the time it doesn't seem to matter.

We did see a pod of orcas mid-week last week, that was kinda cool. I just hate having to burn 80 gallons of fuel to get out where the 'but fishing is good (we've limited out in the southern entrances everytime I've gone there, save one when we were one fish short).

If you can run out there and overnight, it makes more sense from a fuel efficiency standpoint - but we gotta do what we gotta do . .

SH

SH,

Thanks, normally I don't like running that far but I am taking out a full boat this time and need to provide some action, even if just chickens. I was thinking of trying the rky areas between Latouche and Elrington as I have never tried that before. Hear allot of talk about south end of Knight as well but usually by the time I am there I am like 'may as well go the distance'.

Thanks again.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Smile I would go out of Homer for some action.

I have been going to Whittier for quite some time with spotty results for halibut. Even the holes that were fairly good have been marginal this year. Add the @&^(** ramp condition and the high price of launching, parking and tunnel and it just doesn't make sense. I just got back from my first Homer trip yesterday and boy what a difference. 4-5 hour drive consuming 50 gallons for the truck and 1.5 hour boatride to the compass rose and flat island, 20 gallons for the boat and in my opinion a better experience for fishing. In Whittier, unless you go to Montague there is very little predictable action for halibut. In Homer, we were fighting halibut within 5 minutes and did not stop until our arms got tired. We kept 10 for our limit mostly in the 40 to 70 pound range but must have reeled in 30 during the day. Moneywise I would say about the same but fishingwise so much better.

Just my two cents...