Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: water in bilge

Default water in bilge

I have a persistent problem with water in my Sea Sport bilge. I have a Volvo Penta 5.7 engine with Outdrive. Could this be a bellows leak? How common is this with Sea Sports?

I've never been on a boat, neither one I've owned or a friends boat, that truly has a dry bilge. Water comes in from a lot of places, on my seasport it will sneak down through the side of the hatches if I'm spraying the deck a lot. That's what bilge pumps are for, and the plug at the stern when you are on the trailer.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Here's something that's not engine-related: I used to have a 24' coho xl and I'd get water in the bilge that would spill over the deck channels and into the lower compartments. If at rest, your boat doesn't sit level, or better yet, slightly weighted to the stern (mine was slightly bow-heavy), the water from the deck won't run out of the rear scuppers...and instead spills into the forward compartment and travels into the engine compartment through the drain holes between compartments.

try temporarily isolating each of the compartments with drain plugs.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

I'm well aware what bilge pumps are for and I've experienced water seeping down around the hatch. What I'm concerned about is water that has accumulated during period of no boat use and a week of rainless days.

Quote Originally Posted by leveen View Post
    I'm well aware what bilge pumps are for and I've experienced water seeping down around the hatch. What I'm concerned about is water that has accumulated during period of no boat use and a week of rainless days.
    Well, perhaps there is a leprechaun that is sneaking around on your boat during those rainless evenings and days. Here is my advice....get a trail cam and catch him in the act. They usually show up around the same time. Jump out of the bushes and grab that little bastid by the ankles, turning him upside down and shaking with all your might you shout out at the top of your lungs "Give me your lucky charms you dang magic-water leprechaun".

That should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by leveen View Post
    a week of rainless days.
    Maybe it's raining at night?

Taste it so you know if it's seawater or rain water. Mmmm bilge water.

My SeaSport as 2 deck draining holes. One on each side that are hard to find unless you are looking for them. One in front of the power steering cover down low, and the other in the back by corner. If the deck floods they drain to the engine compartment. So almost always, there is a little water down there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

it might be coming in around the exhaust tube, hard to see under there and you might need a mirror on a stick to aim it under there and shine a flashlight on it. Could also come in from the bushing on the steering helmet being worn but that usually lets water in when backing down. Try greasing the jerk on the helmet on the inside of the transom shield. I have a spare transom shield in the shop(its for sale) i'll get a couple of pics so you can see where i mean.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I've heard of bellows leaking over time on older boat, but I'd check with the folks over at Seward Industrial Marine--if bellows start to leak it's a fair amount of water, not a small accumulation. I had a 2006 Sea Sport for a few years. Great boat. Got nervous about water in our bilge, ended up being from rain where the deck meets the cabin. That seam has silicone bead in it that requires replacement every couple seasons. Fixed us right up--granted, if no rain during the accumulation, I'd wonder if something seeping around the plug, wash down or (gulp) bellows.

Just as an aside, Seward Industrial are Volvo dealer but moreover the owner is (if the older gent still owns it) a big Sea Sport fan and had a 2006 27' Flybridge. So they know their way around a Seasport.
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Is this boat in the water all the time? Bilges pumps are installed about 3/4 to 1'' above the bottom of the bilge sump so they don't pick up solids. I have found this in both of my boats in the past that you really never get all the water out of the sumps unless it is a trail able boat. Water will always find the lowest points to gravitate to in the hull area. Now with all that being said are you collecting enough new water that it is activating the bilge pumps? Are you losing any fresh water from your onboard water tank? If the boat is in the water full time can you access all your thru hull fitting and see if you are getting and weepers?

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by Kisutch View Post
    Taste it so you know if it's seawater or rain water. Mmmm bilge water.
    Yes, always the first thing to do.

exhaust y pipe.jpgI have a 28' Bayliner with a 7.4 Volvo Penta duoprop, and have had a similar problem for a long time. I finally found the probable source this season, and it's directly above the drain hole (as seen from the interior) where the exhaust junction sits against the transom. (perhaps what Potbuilder described) It's a slow leak, but still unnerving. My mechanic is going to pull the engine at season's end and replace the gasket. Hope that works, as it's a costly repair. If I'd have found it earlier he could have fixed it when he had the engine out this Spring. :-(

I have a 27 sea sport with outboards when it rains hard or I am washing deck down a little water gets in bilge

i'm pointing where water can leak in, bushing on top of steering helmet and on bottom outside of drive below exhaust bellows small flapper with 2 holes under it goes to chrome tube inside next to exhaust pipe.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

inside shots of leakers.
    inside bottom of transom shield, chrome tube and exhaust tube both can rot out/leak, both pain in the arse to get at w/o sliding engine ahead or lifting out.
    top of transom shield where bushing for steering helmet comes thru, notice grease jerk above my finger
    I'd also check hose clamps/fittings where raw cooling water is sucked in thru transom shield, bolts/gasket/caulking on TS could of come loose.
    If you can get somebody to crawl in next to engine with flashlight then close hatch/engine box and hose down the deck heavily to see if deck leaks. Maybe bow anchor locker is draining water back thru bilge and it ends up in stern ?? Good luck and keep us posted when you find the source.
    If your exhaust bellows is leaking it shouldn't leak into the bilge unless either the chrome tube or exhaust tube are holed, rotting out or gaskets are shot.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by TM2SNOW View Post
    I have a 27 sea sport with outboards when it rains hard or I am washing deck down a little water gets in bilge
    Have owned 2 seasports, and have the same thing. On a typical day of fishing and washing the deck, I'll get a gallon in the bilge. Show me a truly dry bilge, and I'll show you a boat that lives it life in the Phoenix desert.

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Have owned 2 seasports, and have the same thing. On a typical day of fishing and washing the deck, I'll get a gallon in the bilge. Show me a truly dry bilge, and I'll show you a boat that lives it life in the Phoenix desert.
    if i saw any water, antifreeze, diesel, engine oil or hydro fluid i freaked out and had to find where it was coming from and fix it. Clean and dry as a bone. Boat spent its entire life in the PWS desert. These pics were taken when i was selling the boat after 20 years of fishing it pretty hard.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

****. That's a clean bilge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    if i saw any water, antifreeze, diesel, engine oil or hydro fluid i freaked out and had to find where it was coming from and fix it. Clean and dry as a bone. Boat spent its entire life in the PWS desert. These pics were taken when i was selling the boat after 20 years of fishing it pretty hard.
    Show me a dry bilge and I will show you a fanatical boat owner! Diesel, antifreeze and oil are a much different conversation!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast