Thread: Best way to transport Firearms?

Default Best way to transport Firearms?

My husband and I are trying to get all of our ducks in a row for a move to Alaska from Louisiana. We won't be bringing much stuff, as we are pretty much minimalists, except when it comes to guns. We have quite a few of those! So, we already have decided that if we go through Canada, we are having our guns shipped to us at a later date so that we have no headache with Borders. But how does that work if we take the ferry? Do they have certain steps I have to take for that? Has anyone done this that can give me some advice? Or is our best bet still to have the firearms shipped?

If you take the ferry between Bellingham and Whittier, AK then you never enter Canada and should be no issues except normal crossing state lines issue with State gun laws.

I shipped weapons with movers and was asked to see my inventory at the border on one occasion even though I had no weapons in vehicle.

I transported long guns through Canada in 2013 with no issues, just had paperwork filled out in advance, paid my fee, off I went.

Tanana Valley AK

Quote Originally Posted by bakerbunch2005 View Post
    But how does that work if we take the ferry? Do they have certain steps I have to take for that?
    Travel Policies

Below you will find details regarding Alaska Marine Highway policies, the services and amenities offered, check-in and customs information and much more. If you have additional questions that are not addressed, friendly reservations agents are available Monday through Friday 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m. Alaska Time by calling 1-800-642-0066 and they will be happy to assist you.

Walk-on passengers traveling with legal firearms or weapons on AMHS vessels are required to check these items with an AMHS loading officer. All firearms must be unloaded and ammunition stowed separately from the firearms.

Scroll down and click on FIREARM TRANSPORT.
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

Currently divide time between AK & TX

What IOTT said. Have done it 3 times now.....either in-state or on the B'Ham route, not Canada stops involved. Twice I was asked to open the case and close it back up again. Once I was asked to confirm unloaded/separate state and that was all.
    Tick tock, Tick tock, the Texas Clock

Had the same question and called Alaska Marine. If you keep your stuff locked up in your vehicle you are good to go.