Thread: Hope Fishing

Default Hope Fishing

Has anyone checked out Hope for pinks? Am wanting to go out there with the kids this weekend but am just wondering if anyone has a good report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by daldrupjm View Post
    Has anyone checked out Hope for pinks? Am wanting to go out there with the kids this weekend but am just wondering if anyone has a good report.

I saw a FB report yesterday that pinks were in Hope. FWIW.

The wifey was there with the grandson a week ago and they had a heyday. No silvers yet at that time.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Might be there in few days on our way back from homer to Fairbanks how might I provide the right tackle and technique to my very Pheonix Arizona in laws so they can have the "caught a bunch of Alaska Salmon" experience? Have plenty of time catching reds/silvers in my time here but no pinks

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Might be there in few days on our way back from homer to Fairbanks how might I provide the right tackle and technique to my very Pheonix Arizona in laws so they can have the "caught a bunch of Alaska Salmon" experience? Have plenty of time catching reds/silvers in my time here but no pinks

We hit it successfully on Monday after Kenai was a bust, just used Russian River flies, but anything works. Gal down from us was cleaning up with a blue vibrax. They can be caught with just about anything.
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post

You'll probably see most folks just flippin' for them. Just like fishing for reds in the Kenai. Its not a big river and when the tide is out, more resembles a small creek. If you get in-laws near the mouth when the tides coming in, they'll have a whole lot more to talk about than catching fish - like "how their SIL tried to drown them".

Was there today for a couple hours, just casting pixies and hooked a couple. All of them were past there prime.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Is it critical to fish the tides
    Or specific areas? We
    We're ther many years ago and caught one on the sandbars at the mouth then frustratingly fished farther up by the bridge with no connections. Now that I will be trying to hook up a three year old on a salmon it is very sensitive that I get most of the details right less I end up on the wrong side of mama bear

We caught it on the outgoing today.. Just look for a hole or water that will hold fish and get after it.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

PINKS ARE IN. Fished outgoing today, significant fish were holding up river.

Had a few questions #1 - I saw a lot of people using Russian river flys but could you use a larger hook? would not that be better? #2 I am not a fly fisherman but I inherited a fly rod and I wanted to try it. What do people use for weight on a fly rod? Do you just put on split shot or something?? Not sure how they work. #3 I used split shot because it was easy to vary the length and weight of my leader but what do other people use?

It is a fly section only with hook gape no more than 3/8 inch per regulation.
    Fly fishing for salmon is different, fast water so weight is needed to get fly down. You can use split shot or slinky type of weight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

My buddies and I used to have a "snoopy pole" competition there every year. tons of fun on that light tackle with a Russian River fly. 2015, we changed gears, we now fish with caveman poles. Cut down a nice branch, tie 8ft of line to the end and flip for em with a Russian fly. Super fun. caught 100+ amongst the group.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Had a blast and was able to get a few kiddos to reel them in (one of which was my kiddo). Couldn't interest her in casting but was a. Lot of fun some real big ones too

Quote Originally Posted by Texfish View Post
    It is a fly section only with hook gape no more than 3/8 inch per regulation.
    Fly fishing for salmon is different, fast water so weight is needed to get fly down. You can use split shot or slinky type of weight.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    It's a fly fishing only area? I can't find that in the regs anywhere. I was going to send some friends that needed to "catch" vs fish there...

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    It's a fly fishing only area? I can't find that in the regs anywhere. I was going to send some friends that needed to "catch" vs fish there...
    Poster is from TX - gotta take everything he says with a grain of salt.

Had fun out there this afternoon with the family. After landing 22 in an hour and a half I gave in to the wife's request to go grab a bite to eat and give the baby a fresh diaper!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Poster is from TX - gotta take everything he says with a grain of salt.
    I am sorry I misread the post. I was trying to be helpful while on my phone. I thought the question was about fishing Kenai and Russian River. I am just old and senile.

However, belittle someone from out of state is not a nice thing to do.

I am sorry I misread the post. I was trying to be helpful while on my phone. I thought the question was about fishing Kenai and Russian River. I am just old and senile.

It's what is known as a "friendly rivalry." Besides, you're from Texas, man. You deserve some "belittling."

Parks Hwy streams are plugging up with pinks now. Silvers still pretty slow, but there's a ton of catching to be had with the pinks. Might be blown today; it poured all night in Willow after raining off and on most of Saturday.

Not to worry, I (pretty much) belittle everyone. "Old and senile", lots of company there. (I'd put a smiley face here, but since it didn't work in the other post, screw it.

Don't take it personally bud as it's pretty much common practice around here......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!