Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit slough restrictions

Default Rabbit slough restrictions

I was reading about the hay flats and am now questioning whether I can run rabbit slough and DL right now or not. Can anybody clarify? 18hp motor.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

On Rabbit slough from 7/15 to 8/15 on the weekends you can use a motor with no more than 3 hp or 42 pounds of thrust. During the week or after 8/15 you can use a 20 hp or less. I use a 18 copperhead and have never had any issues and been check by AST. Hope this helps
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

So weekdays i.e. Monday-Friday I can run the 18hp copperhead on rabbit slough?

Yes that is the way I understand it.

I believe there is a no motor restriction on DL until 8/15 if I recall correctly.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

I'm more concerned about rabbit slough leading up to it.

Roger that. Just be aware of the cabin owner. He can be not real nice.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.

Your good on rabbit sluogh during the weak you can always call fish and game

Quote Originally Posted by c6 batmobile View Post
    Roger that. Just be aware of the cabin owner. He can be not real nice.
    Now thats being nice he is a d*ck

this thread can be confusing due to wrong names being applied to some waterways. the tidal water going past chucks cabin and up past the boat launch to nelson road is officially named Wasilla Creek. at the boat launch, the little creek going to the highway that is very small and easily crossed with knee boots, is officially named Rabbit Slough. If you look for regulations, look for those pertaining to Wasilla Creek. Rabbit Slough is not boatable in your wildest dreams. I believe there are no power restrictions on Wasilla Creek other then for a month or so during silver salmon fishing in August, lots run larger jet outboards there during duck season with no problems.
    Wasilla

No motors July 15-August 15. On the reminder/update page it says that no motorized watercraft allowed on weekends and it's a weekend only fishery. 5th bullet point from the top, last sentence.

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fishi...il&area_key=29

May not be used Saturday's and Sunday's.... But Monday through Friday is ok as long as it's under 20 hp...?

FYI for those heading to the creek. About 300 yards down from the launch a tree came down in the last few days and is blocking the creek. A kayak or small canoe may be able to get through but John boats on up will not be possible until it's cleared. The small opening in the pic is only about 2' high.

Ran down to DL yesterday to help fed biologist set waterfowl traps for avian flu virus survey.
    The tree is a concern but passable on the right where is lifts. I'll assume cutting the bark is going to help lower it down.. Time will tell.
    heading back down Monday to re-bait traps.

For those curious on DL water levels. DL is about average. Few logs floating in RS. Other than that,,, just another great run
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Made it under the tree with a 18 foot G3 with stand up console. Leave it be. LMAO
    The lake has a 20 hp restriction and opens Aug 16th the slough is open to whatever you want to run and only during the week until Aug 15th. Be advised there are a lot of smaller boats on the slough at any given time during the season so don't be running anyone over and be courteous to others. Boats going down stream have right of way. One more thing watch the tides or you will lose your boat and I mean in the bottom of the slough. I know of a number of boats that have been sunk. The only people that should be running motors on the lake right now are the guys helping the disease bio doing the Avian Influenza surveillance. They have permission from the state.

How do boats get sunk because of the tide?

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I'll try and make this quick. Tide comes in boat floats up swings up current. Tide goes out boat swings back. Boat then sits up against bank tide goes down boat sticks to silt boat rolls over. Seen it happen many times and to people that should've known better.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    yes the tide

So, preventative measures? Pull boat way up?

The tide book is your friend. A 27 foot tide or less not too much to worry about. There is about a 6 foot difference between the slough at low tide and high tide. Figure water will run into the lake at high tide. With 34+ foot is the highest tide. Using Anchorage in the tide book it's about an hour later give or take. If there is a high wind coming from the east add a little to the tide. You can anchor your boat off the bank so at low tide it's still in the channel. That way the boat can swing up and then back down and will hopefully stay off the bank. Not fool proof however. If a good size log comes floating in and snags your anchor line you could have a big problems. Another way but you have to wait till the tide turns back out is to tie a 10 foot pole to the front of the boat and anchor it to the bank with a bow line off the front to keep the boat away from the bank. When the water drops the boat will hopefully stay off the bank. Once again no telling what a large log will do if it snags the boat anything can and will happen. Having seen my share of boats full of water it's nothing you want to experience trust me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast