Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Flippers Soldotna Report

Default Flippers Soldotna Report

Nothing against the discussions on dippers the Kenai, Comm. on the Kenai, and all the politics between but I feel like a new thread just for us sportscasters/flippers that focuses on the fishing of the day would be a refreshing start.

We pulled into swift water today after finding the centennial full. Found a spot but have not dished yet but I talking to the money girl she said fishing has been slow. Went to the first stairs and there were ten guys in sight and I did see a hook up while there so that was fun. Only stayed for ten minutes and just saw one fish but the mood was positive and I look forward to getting out in a. But and reporting back to this thread the good the bad and the ugly as it relates to the actual fishing in Soldotna. I'll be here 7 day and wish tight lines to all of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sad to report from 10pm- midnight tonight only two brief hook ups and no fish then at midnight a simple rock snag and my 8et cabelas rod snaps for the second time In two seasons. Nothingn like a skunk and a broken rod to start your week on the Kenai

@jaeger33 -- Stop by Trustworthy Hardware when they open this morning and they'll get ya set up with some quality new equipment.

We were heading back upriver last night from the dipnet fishery between 8:30 and 9 PM and saw ONE fish on the whole way up. Those folks looked almost as miserable as us dippers(we got 1 sockeye in 3 hours, floating 2 nets).

Been sitting down in tidewater for 2 hours and not a bump. Nothing. Terrible, what should be the peak fishing time is the worst fishing I have seen all season

Been down twice to check in nobody catching anything at swift water this morning. good news is I couldn't fish because We moved campsites and there are more open then usual this time of year which is an indication of the fishing. I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Been down twice to check in nobody catching anything at swift water this morning. good news is I couldn't fish because We moved campsites and there are more open then usual this time of year which is an indication of the fishing. I suppose

The road from Las Anchorage was closed for some time I think.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    The road from Las Anchorage was closed for some time I think.
    Never fully closed, but it was 1 lane being led by a pilot car yesterday from about 6 AM until 9 PM in the area by the McHugh Creek fire. Those of us that live on the peninsula are hoping that the complete closure occurs by noon Thursday and lasts the entire weekend.

Got about an hour and a half in before lunch saw two snags and two keeper on the entire bank in that time. Still slow here

Only had 18K hit the river yesterday and the morning count today was mirroring yesterday. Can't ever remember seeing counts this low during what is usually the peak of the run. Not sure what to think at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Only had 17K hit the river yesterday and the morning count today was mirroring yesterday. Can't ever remember seeing counts this low during what is usually the peak of the run. Not sure what to think at this point.
    They had the drift fleet and the setnetters fishing yesterday. There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of many fish getting in the river. It'll bounce back.
    Last edited by pike_palace; 07-20-2016 at 14:29. Reason: fish
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Can someone remind me of the phone numbers for info on the commercial fishing opening as well as the morning counts for fish. Also having never fished swift water only centennial anyone know the estimated swim time from the counter to this stretch of bank

Can someone remind me of the phone numbers for info on the commercial fishing opening as well as the morning counts for fish.
    Upper Cook Inelt Commercial Fishing Information Line -- 907-262-9611
    Fish Counts -- 907-262-9097

3:00-5:00 only three hook ups on he whole bank I was one of them and it got off as it got to my less then ready netter. Another hook up (of the three) was a massive pink i mean massive! That was all on a very quiet bank will report again tonight

3:00-5:00 only three hook ups on he whole bank I was one of them and it got off as it got to my less then ready netter. Another hook up (of the three) was a massive pink i mean massive! That was all on a very quiet bank will report again tonight

If I were you, unless you want to wait for new fish, I'd move waaaaaaay up river....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

thanks for the current updates... it makes deciding whether to run from Homer to there much easier. I am staying put for the time being.

Default EO

Opening the set netters for a few hours tomorrow again. We'll see what happens but I'm not expecting any number significant number of fish to hit until at least Saturday morning.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

That's not great news but thanks for the news pike_palace

4 of us flipped for 8 hours from 6-2 today and caught a grand total of 7 fish and hooked one or two more. Terrible fishing. 5 of the 7 were covered in net scars, and the other two were so small they clearly were able to swim through the nets. The commercial guys slaughtered the whole returning school. They never had a Chance. King fishing also looked terrible, I wonder why?

Quote Originally Posted by live4chrome View Post
    4 of us flipped for 8 hours from 6-2 today and caught a grand total of 7 fish and hooked one or two more. Terrible fishing. 5 of the 7 were covered in net scars, and the other two were so small they clearly were able to swim through the nets. The commercial guys slaughtered the whole returning school. They never had a Chance. King fishing also looked terrible, I wonder why?
    Maybe not today, but king fishing has been the best it's been in years.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Maybe not today, but king fishing has been the best it's been in years.....
    I was gonna say, King numbers look terrific.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast