Thread: Valley hunter education classes?

Default Valley hunter education classes?

I've got two boys that need their hunter Ed card. How often and where do these classes take place?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Awesome all school nights and all super late for the valley. Perfect.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I've got two boys that need their hunter Ed card. How often and where do these classes take place?
    I've put both my boys through the hunter ed course at Grouse Ridge off the Wasilla-Fishhook. The instructors there do a good job. It's a two-night course. Pick up the workbooks at the Palmer office. Have your boys go through the workbook and answer all the questions and then attend the class. I think it cost like $10 for the workbooks. They have to complete the workbook before they attend. You can attend the class with them. It ain't that bad at all.

We live 40 minutes out, late nights during school nights is rough. Looks like not really any options, I realize guys are volunteering their time to put these classes on. I may be better off driving a few hours for them to do a Saturday class somewhere.
    Master guide 212

There is always the 100% online Texas course. Costs like 30 bucks and takes an hour or two. You can google it and do it anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooooooot. What? All online Texas course!! Good thinking.
    Master guide 212

The online Texas coarse still requires the field test if under 17. I know because I checked on it. Real sore subject for me as I ran thru the same frustrations as Jake. Not only are the field coarses at odd times, they fill up extremly fast with very little indication of the next one. I understand the importance of the coarse but being born and raised here hunting, often taking and including the kids since they were in diapers, I have a hard time with the man telling me that my kids are not certified to hunt without a card. I would think Jake being a registered guide should be PLENTY to certify his own kids..

Lol ya I can take someone hunting from another country that don't speak English without a class but not my own children!! Lol
    It is frustrating.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    The online Texas coarse still requires the field test if under 17. I know because I checked on it. Real sore subject for me as I ran thru the same frustrations as Jake. Not only are the field coarses at odd times, they fill up extremly fast with very little indication of the next one. I understand the importance of the coarse but being born and raised here hunting, often taking and including the kids since they were in diapers, I have a hard time with the man telling me that my kids are not certified to hunt without a card. I would think Jake being a registered guide should be PLENTY to certify his own kids..
    Missed the part about being 17. We did my wife's on there and although she is young, she isn't that young. ;-). I think West Virginia has one too, might be the same way though.

I don't know Jake, I personally see some value in it. I certainly understand your perspective. I used to be a guide myself and I have taught my kids firearm and hunting safety since they were little too. But there is something to be said about having your kids hear it coming from someone else other than just their dad too. I know both of my sons learned a few things from the instructors. In my opinion, I don't think firearm safety can ever be overemphasized. I want my kids to have as much concern and respect for firearms as I do. The other thing that the instructors really emphasize that I think is very important is ethical behavior in our sport and how it is important for us to be aware of our behaviors and attitudes because if we are not careful the "antis" will try to take away more of our rights. So, I know it is kind of a pain and it is a sacrifice to go to the class with your kids, but I believe they will find some value in it if you encourage them to do so. If you show them animosity towards the whole process then they will have a sour attitude about it too, and they will be less likely to find any value in the process. Just my two cents.

Your speaking truth there. Not trying to devalue it.
    Master guide 212

Hmmmm....my boy took an online hunter ed class too, but I don't remember it being any Texas class. I'm pretty sure it was an Alaskan based class. Took all the tests online and then spent one day in the field to finish it up. I just called him and he said it didn't cost anything, and although this wasn't that long ago maybe times have changed....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

4mer that's pretty much how ak had it set up
    Now. A short field day of shooting and whatnot, the rest is online.
    Master guide 212

Default Valley hunter education classes?

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hmmmm....my boy took an online hunter ed class too, but I don't remember it being any Texas class. I'm pretty sure it was an Alaskan based class. Took all the tests online and then spent one day in the field to finish it up. I just called him and he said it didn't cost anything, and although this wasn't that long ago maybe times have changed....
    Same deal but Texas doesn't require a field day. ( at least for adult hunters) Can be a lifesaver for hunters who come up who do not have hunters safety, but are participating in a hunt here that requires it.

Quote Originally Posted by quest32a View Post
    Same deal but Texas doesn't require a field day. ( at least for adult hunters)

Don't know how I feel about that actually.... How do they know these people aren't falling all over themselves with a gun out there...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!