Thread: Big pink salmon this year in SE. Is this happening elsewhere in Alaska?

Default Big pink salmon this year in SE. Is this happening elsewhere in Alaska?

We've been catching lots of pinks (with very few other species), and they're much larger than normal. Also very aggressive on the strike and fighting much harder than I'm used to.

Are the pinks coming in larger than normal in other parts of Alaska for y'all?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek View Post
    We've been catching lots of pinks (with very few other species), and they're much larger than normal. Also very aggressive on the strike and fighting much harder than I'm used to.

Are the pinks coming in larger than normal in other parts of Alaska for y'all?
    The pinks seem to run bigger in even numbered years in the SE. Greater numbers but smaller fish in odd years. Maybe less competition for food with the smaller population? We caught 5 - 6 last month while targeting kings from Yakobi Rock down to Deer Harbor. ALL the pinks were big. The chums we caught were bigger than usual too.

Big_E

I had one weighed in a 6lbs 10oz on Sat. also saw one come through the scales that made that one look small, even had a hen that weighed a tad over 6. Smallest silver I had was 7, largest was 10.5. Big for this early.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts