Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Rental and DIY fishing out of Ketchikan or just use a charter

Default Boat Rental and DIY fishing out of Ketchikan or just use a charter

So in a couple of months (first week of Sept.) we are about to head to POW for a backpacking trip. Afterwards, we are going to relax and rest up in Ketchikan for a couple days before catching our flight back to the lower 48.

We were talking about taking one of those days and doing some salt water salmon fishing. We have been looking at charters as an option but we are not quite sold on the idea of dropping $1000 for a 6 hour trip. I'm sure it would be fun and we would get on some fish but for us as experienced anglers it just might not be for us.

So the question I'm looking to really get answered is this: Would renting a fully rigged boat for the day be worth it? Now what is considered "worth it". Well putting a fish in the boat would count but so would just spending a day on the water with fairly calm seas (less than 3 feet) and getting to see some wildlife.

Just some background that I feel is relevant to help answer my inquiry: I live in Wisconsin and fish hard on Lake Michigan for salmon. I own a boat and we troll out there once or twice a week with pretty good success (catching two fish is my worse trip this year with some trips topping 10). Trolling for salmon is something I have been doing all my life and if there are salmon in the area where we are going, I'm confident I can probably get one to bite. If we go this route, I'll probably pack some of my best baits and make do with what rods are provided by the rental place. So.....how hard will it be to find and get into an area where there are fish?

that time of year, silvers should be great and you should be able to pull them on your own. Bring the exact same spoons you fish back home. Moonshines, especially the martini and silver streaks in the crazy colors are awesome for silvers, think pink panties, Kevorkian, etc..... I fish all my old Great Lakes stuff, it catches fish everywhere.

As for the charter, that is the route I would go, I still enjoy hoping on a charter and relaxing, and I run my own. The guy in Ketch I would talk to is Ryan McRobert, runs the Outcast. Great guy, runs a sweet boat and is an awesome fisherman. You'll have a great time and your chances of loading up on fish will go up greatly.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

With the experience level you describe, you would probably have alot of fun renting a 20' yellow thunderjet boat from Clover Pass. Very professional, FRIENDLY, well-run operation there for a reasonable price. If the weather is cooperative, there's plenty of decent silver salmon spots - Camaano point, Guard Islands, Vallenar point, etc.

Just make sure they know what you need with the boat (rods & reels).

Did I mention how much they've impressed me with their professional attitude over the years?

What is the name of the outfit seek in clover pass?

Quote Originally Posted by seeth07 View Post
    What is the name of the outfit seek in clover pass?

That's their name - Clover Pass Resort. http://www.cloverpassresort.com/

Clover Pass Resort

P.O. Box 8331
    Ketchikan, AK 99901
    Main Phone: Toll-Free: (888) 564-4525
    Phone: Toll-Free: (800) 410-2234
    Local: (907) 247-2234

I would add a +1 for the Clover Pass option although I've not used them. I have been to POW for the last 17 years annually and the lodge I visit picked up one of the Clover Pass fish cutters for the season as a boat deckie/fish processor. If you only wanted to relax on the water and not particularly do a bunch of fishing I would try Howard McKim of Ketchikan Kayak Company out of Knudson Cove Marina which is just a couple of blocks east of Clover Pass Marina both at the North end of town.

BTW- what is your hiking itinerary if you don't mind me asking? At a guess - El Capitan area up on the north end of the island?

The whole island is pretty nice. I have right at 6 months physical time there from my fishing trips which mostly revolved around Craig, Klawock, Hollis, Thorne Bay and Staney Creek with fishing first, with photography and exploring after fishing.

Just got back from a June trip on the salt and may head back up in mid-Sept for another week of Silver fishing.

no brown bears on the island but PLENTY of blackies

My wife drew a fall blackie tag. We are going to try and get that bear and we also have picked up deer tags. I haven't fully determined where we are going to go but my initial thought is to drive to the south end of the polk inlet and then head south past the west inlet of the cholmondeley sound into the lake josephine area. Looks like that will get us away from other hunters and allow us to explore some beautiful landscape with a mix of alpine (for deer) and low lying creeks for bears and maybe some trout fishing

Book a charter with Ryan McRobert and be done with it. Don't waste your time with a CP rental, the prop will probably just fall off and ruin your day of fishing...

My wife drew a fall blackie tag. We are going to try and get that bear and we also have picked up deer tags. I haven't fully determined where we are going to go but my initial thought is to drive to the south end of the polk inlet and then head south past the west inlet of the cholmondeley sound into the lake josephine area. Looks like that will get us away from other hunters and allow us to explore some beautiful landscape with a mix of alpine (for deer) and low lying creeks for bears and maybe some trout fishing

thanks for sharing.

Sounds like a great trip. I was thinking eco-tourist, casual back packing or Forest Service Cabin stuff.

Good luck on the bear and deer hunts.

Did you have a bad experiance h2O? Your comment is pretty strong and you make it seem like that option would be a complete waste.

Catching fish is not a top priority for us, having an enjoyable ride and experience is. If I wanted to go out on a trip to catch fish, I would just wait until we got back home and go out on Lake Michigan where we can keep 5 kings a day per person.....

Did you have a bad experiance h2O? Your comment is pretty strong and you make it seem like that option would be a complete waste.

Catching fish is not a top priority for us, having an enjoyable ride and experience is. If I wanted to go out on a trip to catch fish, I would just wait until we got back home and go out on Lake Michigan where we can keep 5 kings a day per person.....
    So far this summer, know of one that lost a prop and another that just stopped working entirely. In both cases CP did not even answer their radio-calls for assistance and both had to be towed back by good samaritans. Also know for a fact that some of their boats are not equipped with all required safety gear.

If your dead set on renting, I would recommend Alaska Remote Lodges LLC on Pennock Island (can find them on Facebook). You can rent a house and they also have a 22' Hewescraft and a 22' Raider for rent.

Quote Originally Posted by h20fowler View Post
    So far this summer, know of one that lost a prop and another that just stopped working entirely. In both cases CP did not even answer their radio-calls for assistance and both had to be towed back by good samaritans. Also know for a fact that some of their boats are not equipped with all required safety gear.

If your dead set on renting, I would recommend Alaska Remote Lodges LLC on Pennock Island (can find them on Facebook). You can rent a house and they also have a 22' Hewescraft and a 22' Raider for rent.
    Interesting. My experiences have been quite the contrary. Had one eventful day where we wrapped a cable around the prop & Clover Pass had a tow boat come out to get us by Guard Island within 15 minutes. Every boat I've rented from them has always had all necessary gear, and they've been happy to loan me a buoy for my anchor puller ring. My most recent rental with them was last July.

However, I agree that the Pennock Island boats are good.

are you saying your going to HIKE from Polk Inlet to Josephine Lake ?

Quote Originally Posted by muskeg View Post
    are you saying your going to HIKE from Polk Inlet to Josephine Lake ?
    Maybe they'll take a video for us on the way up. Lol

Well we were gonna take the road till it ends there by the bottom of Polk inlet and venture south. I'm unfamiliar with the terrain and climate from first hand experience so we shall see what we can accomplish. Lake Josephine just looked like a good spot to mark as a goal.

Well we were gonna take the road till it ends there by the bottom of Polk inlet and venture south. I'm unfamiliar with the terrain and climate from first hand experience so we shall see what we can accomplish. Lake Josephine just looked like a good spot to mark as a goal.
    POW is a tree covered island with lots of steep terrain. Think of the thickest forest you haven't ever been in and that's POW.

Whatever Mr. Laird says is better than money in the bank.

The lake you have as a goal is devoid of fish (according to the forest service cabin site) and may, because of that, not support a huntable bear population nearby. There are plenty of blackies on POW right up to world class trophy shooters that would compare to Canadian trophy bears. I'm not a bear hunter so others can advise you better or maybe a guided hunt would give you a better chance to fill your tag.

Getting a bear is a goal, but so is a blacktail. So the idea is to go on a 40-50 mile hike over 7 days in a loop where we cross some alpine and lowland areas.

Trust me, there is no possible way it is thicker than were I hunt whitetails here at home in Wisconsin. Tag alders and new growth poplar so tightly woven that from my stand elevated 25 feet, I can only see 50 yards through them.

Trust me, there is no possible way it is thicker than were I hunt whitetails here at home in Wisconsin. Tag alders and new growth poplar so tightly woven that from my stand elevated 25 feet, I can only see 50 yards through them.
    Have you ever been to SE AK? Its kinda like a thick wet mountainous rain forest...

I have not been there yet. We are very excited to make this trip. We are the adventuring type and up for whatever challenges might face us. To us, the goal is to explore and enjoy the scenery. Catching a fish or bagging a deer/bear would just be a big bonus.

Here are a couple examples of the terrain near my home. Am I going to be facing something actually worse than this? It is generally swampy and thick. A mile walk through the woods usually leads to exhaustion and tired legs from walking through the wet muddy swampy areas.
    Attachment 89858Attachment 89859

I grew up in West Bend and hunted near Adams and Friendship. Trust me, it's worse.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast