Thread: Anchorage Real Black Powder

Default Anchorage Real Black Powder

I'm planning a hunt with my flintlock, and traveling with black powder on the plane is rather difficult. I was hoping someone could point me to someplace in Anchorage (or close to) that carries real black powder, not Pyrodex or Blackhorn 209 type substitutes.

I called Sportsmans Warehouse and they do not carry the real stuff.

Maybes ? off the top of my head: BassPro in ANC. Artic Ammo in Wasilla. Three Bears (several locations).

Edit: hogfamily has a posting in the Shooting Section. I know he shoots BP and may be able to help if you PM him. You might also try the MZ loading section for other ideas.

Only known reliable source is Great Northern Guns in Anchorage.

Thank you, I will give a call.

My FIL was looking for some earlier this year, only place he found it around the Valley/Anc was Great Northern Guns.

What are you hunting with the flintlock? Sounds like a fun hunt what ever it is!

Yep, the only place I've been able to find it in Anchorage is at Great Northern Guns as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners!

As others have said Great Northern Guns is the best place to find BP.

They get it in occasionally in somewhat small amounts. I find that I need to check with them often to find out when they get a shipment.

They can sell out of the more popular grades quickly.

Let me know what grade you need and I will see if I can get a pound for you. We can meet up when you get here.

I can't promise that they will have what you need and get it before you arrive but I will try.

Let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bambistew View Post
    My FIL was looking for some earlier this year, only place he found it around the Valley/Anc was Great Northern Guns.

What are you hunting with the flintlock? Sounds like a fun hunt what ever it is!

Mr. Bambistew--we are going to try a boat based black bear hunt out of Homer next spring. If nothing else, there will be food, fishing, and fine scenery. We've all spent a lot of time bowhunting bears over bait all over Canada so are all excited to try something new and different.

Thanks for all the assistance gents!