Thread: Kenai River bank closure

Default Kenai River bank closure

So I see river bank closure signs all over the river with people standing right in front of the signs flipping away. Today (no motor Monday) it appeared that two guide boats were tied up on the shore with their clients flipping for reds with riverbank closure signs right behind them.

As i understand the bank is closed within 10 feet on both sides of the water line. I called F&G to ask about anchoring and fishing from a boat. They said that you could anchor as long as you are at least 10 feet from the high water line.

Is this a rule that is in the law book but no one follows? and no one enforces it?

Just curious.

Scott

I can see where it would be against the rules to tie off to a tree or something in the closed area but I don't think there is any way they can forbid somebody from anchoring or standing in flowing water no matter how close it is to the bank.

I have anchored ten feet off shore and basically use my boat as an island. It is a bit tougher with the high water, but doable as long as the bank is shallow enough to wade. Never had a problem with enforcement.

See right side of page 66 of the regulations. North shore bank is closed to all fishing and to boats within 10 feet of shore between mile 73.5 and 73.6 of the kenai.

Interesting...I wonder what is at that location?

Don't think any other place along the entire river has that restriction.

There are different signs put up by different agencies. The red print signs I've seen like just downstream from Rotary Park are for enforcement of the regulations in the state book. The green print signs I've seen are used at state lands that are open by regulation but folks are trampling the vegetation. At those locations the rangers have told me it fine to fish but not to harm vegetation. We just walk in the water from an open access point. I've seen them fuss at folks for setting gear on the bank but have not witnessed any citations.

The problem with the 10 ft rule is that even when folks try to comply by standing in the water 10 ft from the bank, they habitually walk backward to land/net/beach their fish. Despite the best of intention, the riparian vegetation the law seek to protect gets TRAMPLED regardless.

The best environmentally friendly way to fish these critical areas is to anchor the boat some distance from the shore in 4-5 ft of water and flip TOWARD the bank. This is something DNR/Parks/ADFG should actively promote to keep trampling damage to a minimum.

Unfortunately, this doesn't fly for the sleds on DBM's since fishing from a power vessel is NOT allowed.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    Unfortunately, this doesn't fly for the sleds on DBM's since fishing from a power vessel is NOT allowed.
    It sounds like it would work just fine from a DB... Just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    It sounds like it would work just fine from a DB... Just sayin.
    AGREED.

That it would.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I was told last year by a state trooper that as long as I stood in the water there was no issue. If I was on the bank or my gear was on the bank that was not allowed.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.