Thread: Light Tackle Halibut...

Default Light Tackle Halibut...

So the Kaykers had the 2nd annual Barbie Rod Derby for halibut this weekend. About 2 dozen folks showed up but only about half fished due to the challenging surf conditions. We ran into 3 to 5 ft surf breaking directly on to the shoreline which made launches and landings pretty tough. Once on the water, it didn't seem so bad.

Most of us landed small fish but just could not get hooked up to a fish larger than 10 pounds. I think a part of it was the Kiddie poles really limit how much line you can put on one. Most because my 11 year old son manages to hook up and land a 45.5 pound halibut using a "Frozen" themed rod with 15lbs powerpro on it. That ended up being the winner for the derby.

He may have been lucky to get the strike, but after that he handled it like a pro. I suppose I should disclose that he actually is a pro staffer for the fairly prestigious Hobie Kayak and Kokatat (Drysuit and PFD company) fishing teams. The only minor on both teams that I am aware of.

It really makes you wonder how big of gear is really necessary and I chuckle a bit thinking about the good ol'days with thick dacron line, HUGE penn reels, and the broomstick rods we used.

Super proud of my son. Definitely take kids fishing or any outdoor activity for that matter. It never ceases to amaze me that with a just a little bit of guidance even fairly young kids can accomplish things that at one time I thought impossible.

20160716_122012-1.jpg

20160716_070940-1.jpg

And of course the video...

Congrats to U, Rudy. And certainly congrats to Ryu. You have good reason to be proud of the both of you. The kayak fishing seems to have taken off the last couple years and there isn't much doubt in my mind your posts and videos have spurred on many to give it a go. Keep having fun, my friend.
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

That's Awesome!

That is great great stuff!
    Lifelong memories captured on video.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Congrats to U, Rudy. And certainly congrats to Ryu. You have good reason to be proud of the both of you. The kayak fishing seems to have taken off the last couple years and there isn't much doubt in my mind your posts and videos have spurred on many to give it a go. Keep having fun, my friend.
    Thanks all! Cod, you were one of the first to get me to go out and for that I will forever be grateful!

We followed up this trip with a few slow hours on the Kenai River fishing reds. He still doesn't have that quite down yet. Of course he was playing in the water half of the time floating upstream and downstream in the eddies with his drysuit. lol. I guess he is still 11 years old. I hooked 3 keepers, he landed them. I rolled maybe 4 or 5 more during that span. Here's a video of it. If you don't like ska music, turn down the volume...lol.

Way cool! I have an iphone video of my son getting spooled with a kiddie rod. The sound of that drag zipping is incredible. I should have re-spooled with decent line though like Kardinal 84.

I too have come full circle and been fishing lighter gear for halibut instead of the big sticks. I still use 80lb PowerPro braid but my reels are lighter and the heavier halibut rods are being swapped out to speed jigging rods.

Sobie2