Thread: A tale of two chums

Default A tale of two chums

We caught two chums out in Lutak inlet yesterday, trying to sneak up with the sockeye. I was excited because I've never caught one before and the second one had the classic gnarly, zombie look to him which is just magnificent. Weird thing is, the other one, we didn't actually realize was a chum for a few minutes. You had to kind of have him at the right angle with sun and shade to see his faint stripes. Aside from that, it looked just like a big sockeye. We caught them in the same spot, but one was so wildly further along his cycle, and both in the salt. Anyone have a preferred recipe for zombie chums like this one?

chum.jpgchum2.jpg

Note: this is 2 pictures of the same fish. I didn't get a picture of the 'plain' one. Just love the coloring on the chums.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Love them "War Dogs" Epic bite off Icy Straits while fishing out of Pelican AK on bright 11-14 # fish that ate well after vacuum packing and smoke nicely too. Pound for pound toughest fighting river salmon I've ever fished for too and normally shake em' and send em' to the gravel.! Recipe for those? Freeze em' and put them under your corn starts next Spring! Just my thoughts tonight!

Smoke 'em up! I usually don't keep them when they're that far along into spawning mode, but we usually take 5-10 a year for the smoker and often they're beginning to get colored up.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

You'd have to be really desperate/starving to kill/eat something as awful as that-why do you think they're called 'Dog Salmon'?

Because they are fit for animal feed and nothing else that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Anyone have a preferred recipe for zombie chums like this one?
    Probably the best smoked salmon I've had (and I love smoked salmon and eat lots!) was some late run chums smoked and dried in a village near hear. It was cold smoking and took a couple of weeks to complete, but man, what good fish. The wood was weathered cottonwood bark gathered in beaches- no brining, nothing. Just cold smoke, time and a lot of experience. The locals use the late runs specifically because of the lower oil content and better storage for long term.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

For both pinks and chums you cannot beat poached. Place about and inch of water in the bottom of a sauce pan and add a pinch of sea salt, Bay Leaf, and Tyme. Bring to a boil, place skinned fillet in and cover. Make sure the fillet is not completely submerged. Poach for about 7-10minutes.

Before hand I like to make a nice dill/caper-based cucumber sauce with greek yogurt. Serve with fresh veggies and a starch, pairs well with a white wine or pale ale. My kids absolutely love it!

I have made this for salmon snobs, and after many compliments, they cannot believe they just ate a pink/chum.

One of the tastiest float trip fish I've had was a dime bright pink baked on the fire with onions garlic and butter and pepper wrapped in foil.....of course we would have eaten our own shoes by the end of a day on the river, but the memory stands nonetheless.

The Japanese are obviously fairly well known for their love of all things fish. 99% of their hatchery releases are chums. I think they are a pretty good eating fish personally (I'm Japanese).

In Japan and many Natives in Alaska prefer the ones that are more "mature" for drying as the lower oil makes for an easier drying process. so dried fish is a possibility.

It's hard to criticize a fish without seeing the actual meat. I've purchased in the good old days kings salmon near the Yukon area that were brick Red but the flesh was better than many bright kings because even at Fairbanks, many of these fish have hundreds or miles left to go meaning they still have plenty of fat reserves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Well my improvised recipe was a smash hit. I smoked both the chums for about 2 cycles, just enough to saturate them and the juices with the flavor. Then I packed them in the 12 oz jars with a garlic clove cut in half in each jar. 3/4 tsp of sea salt and pressure cooked them. Holy cow, it is delicious.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by highestview View Post
    Well my improvised recipe was a smash hit. I smoked both the chums for about 2 cycles, just enough to saturate them and the juices with the flavor. Then I packed them in the 12 oz jars with a garlic clove cut in half in each jar. 3/4 tsp of sea salt and pressure cooked them. Holy cow, it is delicious.
    Sounds delicious, I've always thought chums smoked up well. The flesh gets considerably firmer as they make the transition from feeding to spawning mode.
    "Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something." --Ron Swanson

Commercial fisherman friend of mine makes a lot of things with dogs.... seafood chowder, smoked chum/jalapeno cheese spread.....mmmmmmm good...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!