Thread: duck hunting starter kit

Default duck hunting starter kit

I need some advice for a duck hunting starter kit. Duck calls, shells, chokes, how to rig my decoys, and an instructional video on how to duck call

rimfire chokes are like calls which ever one works the best. Buy a couple of different types of ammo and fire them in your gun with the different chokes use the type that works the best. Calls you in the store and blow on a couple which everone sounds the best buy. I dont know if any one instructinal video is better than the other. We use long line on our decoys but alot of people like texas rigs get on yutobe tons of videos
    Is it opening day of duck season yet
    Member of Alaska Waterfowl Association

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I need some advice for a duck hunting starter kit. Duck calls, shells, chokes, how to rig my decoys, and an instructional video on how to duck call
    Calls: I can't really help you on this, since I'm still trying to figure out how to properly call ducks. There are a few out there that have CD's to follow along with. Practice a bunch. I found the really cheap ones not as forgiving, never tried the high dollar ones. I found the Buck Gardner Dbl Nasty pretty forgiving for my level.

Shells/chokes: Try a bunch and see how they pattern with your gun. For me (Browning Maxus) I had the pattern I was happiest with 3" 4shot hevi-shot on a patternmaster choke. Occasionally hevishot has some deals, but it is on the pricey side. I found I like 3" shells best; more forgiving after a long day shooting, but packs more pellets than a 2 3/4", but to each their own. I went through ~4 different chokes shooting ~5 different ammo manufacturers before I settled on what I shoot down. Obviously your distance and pattern desire will be different (if you are shooting passing, over decoys, etc)

Decoys: long lines for the salt, I like texas rigs for puddlers. Easy to carry and to set up. They are simple, just buy whatever decoys you want and a texas rig set up and you are good to go.

My suggestion would be just buy a decent (not cheapest, not most pricey) choke and a few different boxes of ammo, and just see what shoots best. Google how to pattern a shotgun for ideas on how to determine which choke/ammo works best.

Oh, for me, I like 4's on ducks, 2's as maybe my third "prayer" shot. 2's-BB's on geese depending on situation.

on the duck call- get a standard Hen Mallard Call (that's the common one you hear) watch some Youtube videos on calling, then call a lot! my hunting partners that are the best callers carry their calls around in their truck, call all the time listen you will get better with more practice, then look into a more expensive call (you will know what works best for you.

Choke Tube-never used one so I have no advice on this, I have a full choke shotgun that works fine for me, listen to others on that.

Decoys- Mallards are a good starter, get 6- 12 to start with. I like weighted keels of water keels because I don't like having to adjust my decoys when I place them. I also my set is (was its been a few years!) 75% hens to 25% drakes, most ducks up here during the season are brown, so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to see a lot of full plumage drakes! but that's my opinion.

shells- I like 4s and 2s 4 is the first shots 2s are the 2nd and 3rd shots- I like 2s when I sea Duck hunt cause those guys are hard to take down!

hope that helps!

chokes are just a mind game put in a modified and never take it out they should be the last thing to worry about on your list of stuff. for calling head down to the marsh in august and listen to the ducks they will let you know what you should sound like with the call. for decoys anything brown works fine. No reason to get specific on what species of duck for the decoys. (all just my observations in the past 22 years)
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

nevermind. Found out the answer to my question

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    chokes are just a mind game put in a modified and never take it out they should be the last thing to worry about on your list of stuff. for calling head down to the marsh in august and listen to the ducks they will let you know what you should sound like with the call. for decoys anything brown works fine.
    All identical to what I would say.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

ok, I got 11 hen mallards and 5 drakes. and a Half dozen early season green wing teal. I got a duck call but I ended up not liking it. It takes just the precise amount of pressure to get it to work. Anything more or less and it locks up or squeaks. So I guess back to the drawing board on that one. Next up I need to figure out how to camo my boats. I seen some guy used a flexible pole at each end and bent it in a hoop then laid his camo on those hoops.

real good duck call for starting is the haydel dr 85. Real ducky and easy to blow. Also they are only about 20 bucks. Where do you plan on hunting? I dont think I have ever hunted out of my boat. Generally we just throw it in the brush down the shore line a little bit. I know some people hunt out of a boat in certain situations but there is just that much more stuff to try and cover/camo up.
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    I dont think I have ever hunted out of my boat. Generally we just throw it in the brush down the shore line a little bit. I know some people hunt out of a boat in certain situations but there is just that much more stuff to try and cover/camo up.
    I agree with this 100% if you are hunting marsh that is shallow enough to wade. I tried hunting from my boat the first season I got it and after that I started using it for transport and then stashing it away from the spread, and have had much better luck doing that. Trying to hide the boat, getting the dog in and out, not being able to move from your shooting position without re-brushing in the boat, etc. having to re-brush the boat if you have to chase a duck, etc., was a real pain and we never did as well when we tried to actually hunt from the boat.

I'm gonna scout this weekend hopefully. From what I can tell from google earth, Ill most likely be walking to my hunting area now. Found some areas that are about a 1/2 mile or so from the river that Ill see about hiking into. So yes I agree the hunting from the boat might not be what Ill actually be doing.

I got out today and shout a few rounds of Skeet. That pretty much confirmed my suspicions of not being a good wing shot. But I'm improving. I practiced with my duck call some more. I think something must have been in the reeds or something. I didn't have any issues with it today.