Thread: Volvo Penta DP outdrive question

Default Volvo Penta DP outdrive question

Do I need to block the outdrive rams up when moving my 24' aluminum boat down the road on the trailer? So there is less hydrolic strain on the system. I would click in place plastic blocks that nested nice with the outdrive ram that supported the outdrive weight when trailering the boat on my old Mercruiser outdrive. I just wondering if I need to still do that with a drive that's 35 years newer model?
    Attached Images Attached Images

always tilted my drive all the way up and ran a rope around the drive just above the props and tied it off.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

yes I was going to do that for sure to keep the outdrive from swinging back and forth spinning the steering wheel as you bump along over the road but it sounds like you didn't worry about relaxing the outdrive down a little onto a stop or block.

Having a several hundred pound engine hanging off the back of a boat bouncing around when you are going down the road, can not be good for the hull. One hard bounce could cause you thousand of $$ in repairs.

Just because one person does not block his engine is not a reason to not block yours. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Predator Control View Post
    yes I was going to do that for sure to keep the outdrive from swinging back and forth spinning the steering wheel as you bump along over the road but it sounds like you didn't worry about relaxing the outdrive down a little onto a stop or block.
    the rope stretching a bit acted like a shock absorber and my drive stayed straight due to the rope holding it. I always wrapped a bunch of orange material over the props so some dumb arse wouldn't drive into the props(if hope). As old as my drive was it always creeped down on its own, remember i had 11,000 hours on that drive.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    Having a several hundred pound engine hanging off the back of a boat bouncing around when you are going down the road, can not be good for the hull. One hard bounce could cause you thousand of $$ in repairs.

Just because one person does not block his engine is not a reason to not block yours. IMO
    its a outdrive not a outboard

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    its a outdrive not a outboard
    OH !!!! Now it make sense.

It might depend on what outdrive you have. I have a volvo DPH, and I have asked many dealers and mechanics about it and none have said block it up. Some say change the oil more often, and they all say keep it really full of oil. I suspect that it would have been easy to add a mechanical lock if this was an issue, but if it makes you feel better, then there is probably no downside to doing it. Shoot, some don't allow bananas on their boat and say it helps there fishing...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

This set up is what I'm going to try. This is about what pot builder says and I want to get 11000hrs out of my outdrive too. It kinda does both. supports the drive and keeps it from swinging. I have A DP-SM outdrive. I just changed the outdrive oil for the first time and I filled it to the top of the dip stick and it took as much as the capacity described in the manual. Did your mechanic say keep it more full then that? I'm headed Down to Valdez tommorow for the first saltwater splash of this project boat I started 2 years ago. I'm pretty stoked about getting her wet and seeing what she'll do!!! Thanks for the help. FV Predator Control
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did your mechanic say keep it more full then that? I'm headed Down to Valdez tommorow for the first saltwater splash of this project boat I started 2 years ago. I'm pretty stoked about getting her wet and seeing what she'll do!!! Thanks for the help. FV Predator Control
    I have a different outdrive, so it is not the same. My version does not have a dipstick, you just fill it to the top so this does not apply to your model.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

[QUOTE=Predator Control;1549112]This set up is what I'm going to try. I just changed the outdrive oil for the first time and I filled it to the top of the dip stick and it took as much as the capacity described in the manual. Did your mechanic say keep it more full then that?

if i remember correctly the dipstick on my drive had a flat spot on it to mark how high the oil should be in the drive. By the way i had a "Unit Saver" hooked up to my drive, all it was was a 2qt container on the inside of my engine room with a braided stainless hose going thru the transom and hooked into the fill plug on the back of the drive. They don't make the unit savers anymore but easy to fab your own.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

yea my dip stick has the same flat spot too. It would be hard to screw up the oil level since you pump the oil in from the bottom until it flows out the oil level hole. What I don't understand is where is this outdrive oil being consumed? my manual says to check the outdrive oil weekly? and you say you installed a auto fill auxiliary tank. I'm not sure why or how so much oil would dissappear??

yea my dip stick has the same flat spot too. It would be hard to screw up the oil level since you pump the oil in from the bottom until it flows out the oil level hole. What I don't understand is where is this outdrive oil being consumed? my manual says to check the outdrive oil weekly? and you say you installed a auto fill auxiliary tank. I'm not sure why or how so much oil would dissappear??
    only lose oil when seals start leaking or changes color from water in drive. The unit saver was a telltale for both. Flat spot on dipstick is high oil level but with the US my drive was always totally filled with oil.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post

I can't remember where but I saw or heard a boat builder describing how blocking outboards was unnecessary on well built boats, his basic point was the engines are trying trying to rip the transom off with everything they've got every time you accelerate to planing speed. If the transom can handle that, it should handle a bounce from the engine (on a trailer with proper suspension) going down the road.

That being said with the quality of roads up here, I still block mine.