Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lots of BEES, (actually hornets & wasps)

Default lots of BEES, (actually hornets & wasps)

First time I've seen these hornets here
    Got him when he was checking me out in the garden , smacked it with my hat.
    Pictures online = Bald Face Hornets

DSCF6980.jpg
    Remember them form back east. big paper nests in trees & aggressive .
    Stings hurt the worst of any that I can remember.

Lots more yellow jackets too.
    Warmer winters (global warming) mean more insects ?

Good luck finding any wasp spray in the valley, tried to find some today and no one has a can.

Have some from last year but haven't found any nests close, (yet)

Been using a badminton racket

soapy water in a spray bottle helps. Knocks em down and suppose to kill em but I just step on em once down. Please don't spray the honey bees though, coming from a beekeeper I like em around and no poision spray out to kill them and taint my honey.

Quote Originally Posted by ergoman View Post
    Good luck finding any wasp spray in the valley, tried to find some today and no one has a can.
    We're spending a couple weeks down at our cabin on the peninsula and the yellow jackets here are unreal, like I've never seen before. There is no wasp spray to be found in all of the Kenai/Soldotna area but we were told that they had some down in Homer. We have a little birdhouse hanging in a tree that they have totally taken over and there is a huge nest inside of my shed that makes it almost impossible to do anything in there. Our plan is to stay up late tonight and wait till it gets dark, when they've all gone to bed, and sneak out with a plastic trash bag to collect them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find some building in the ground, gasoline works
    Jus t don't light it, dump some on the entrance
    the vapors kill the queen

+1
    Like have ing the honey bees & bumble bees around

Some good things the wasps do
    Yellow jackets eat aphids & other bugs

Just don't want the nests around yard & G kids

Quote Originally Posted by zfisher View Post
    soapy water in a spray bottle helps. Knocks em down and suppose to kill em but I just step on em once down. Please don't spray the honey bees though, coming from a beekeeper I like em around and no poision spray out to kill them and taint my honey.
    +1 to soap and water. Liquid dish soap and a quart of water whipped up in a pot or bucket until its foamy and sloshed onto a nest will destroy the nest and kill all the residents in short order. Works great.

I only take out a nest if it's a hazard though. Hornets / yellowjackets are voracious hunters and keep other insect populations down, including mosquitos. I'll take yellowjackets over mosquitos any day.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    We're spending a couple weeks down at our cabin on the peninsula and the yellow jackets here are unreal, like I've never seen before. There is no wasp spray to be found in all of the Kenai/Soldotna area but we were told that they had some down in Homer. We have a little birdhouse hanging in a tree that they have totally taken over and there is a huge nest inside of my shed that makes it almost impossible to do anything in there. Our plan is to stay up late tonight and wait till it gets dark, when they've all gone to bed, and sneak out with a plastic trash bag to collect them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, it's a dang pandemic...!!! Been takin' out quite a few nest where I work and around the house here. Like you said no wasp spray to be found anywhere now. We bought a case at Home Depot last Thurs. for my boss.

I think we found something out by accident though.....if you end up going about spraying the nests during the day, if you wear camo rain gear they don't seem to go after you. I had some pissed off yellow jackets yesterday and didn't have any try and hit me and I was right in there with them buzzin' around. Weird huh?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

You seeing paper nest in trees or
    ground nests ?

Lots of bees here but haven't found their nests yet.

Wearing Camo to attack bees, Love it

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    ground nests ?

All the nests I've run into were ground nests.

I had a ground nest last year. Three paper nests this year. Soapy water in a shop vac with a long dipnet pole works well. After sucking up most of them, I sprayed two nest then used carbitrator cleaner which also worked well
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by mudbuddy View Post
    ground nests ?

Both.....in the eves of houses as well as down in the ground.

BBQ'd down at the lake side yesterday. Bees overwhelmed the food. I was watching where they were going when they left. I think there are more than 2 nests. It's gonna be all out war. Oh, and I got stung at the bbq also. Second time this summer.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

I went through several cans of wasp spray on our property early in the season, and can't find anymore. Fortunately (as mentioned on this thread) someone turned me on to soapy water. It's amazing stuff. I had some wasps get soaked with "Black Flag" wasp spray from Fred Meyer and the suckers fell to the ground, shook it off, and flew away. But with some soapy Dawn and water, they crawl through the suds for about 3 seconds and then move no more! It's very satisfying. Put a big squirt of dish soap with water in a landscape hand-pump sprayer and adjust the nozzle to stream and fire away! Apparently the soap breaks the surface tension of the water and allows the buggers to drown when they can't breath with the soapy water covering them. The problem is that we have two nests in a crack of the eaves in our house that I can't hit with the soapy water. I can nail wasps as they come in and out, but can't hit the nest. Looks like I'll be getting some expanding foam and doing a midnight raid on the openings!

From what I've read, wasps build the paper handing nests (of various varieties) and yellowjackets nest underground... Both of them suck and despite the "good" they do for controlling insect populations I'm running out of patience!
    Palmer, Alaska
    "There are some things money can buy. For everything else, there's ALASKA!"

I just built a wasp trap out of a big plastic cashew container. I cut about a 2"x 2" hole in the side. Then I drilled a 1/8th" hole in the lid. Put a piece of fish on the end of a hook and hung it by some mono from the lid. Put in some soapy water and cooking oil. It took less than 2 minutes to catch the first two. Last I looked it had about 50 in it within the first couple hours. From what I hear, a guy needs to empty the dead ones out after awhile or the ones that drop into it land on the dead ones and can fly out. I put it where I took out the old nest that was still attracting them. It looks like it's gonna be a killin' machine...!!!

Oh and btw.... I heard a theory about why they are so bad this year. It's because of the warm winter we had. Said that the freeze didn't penetrate the ground far enough to kill a lot of them like it usually does. Sounds logical. I guess maybe we can expect more of the same if we continue to have warmer winters....

Quote Originally Posted by trochilids View Post
    I went through several cans of wasp spray on our property early in the season, and can't find anymore. Fortunately (as mentioned on this thread) someone turned me on to soapy water. It's amazing stuff. I had some wasps get soaked with "Black Flag" wasp spray from Fred Meyer and the suckers fell to the ground, shook it off, and flew away. But with some soapy Dawn and water, they crawl through the suds for about 3 seconds and then move no more! It's very satisfying. Put a big squirt of dish soap with water in a landscape hand-pump sprayer and adjust the nozzle to stream and fire away! Apparently the soap breaks the surface tension of the water and allows the buggers to drown when they can't breath with the soapy water covering them. The problem is that we have two nests in a crack of the eaves in our house that I can't hit with the soapy water. I can nail wasps as they come in and out, but can't hit the nest. Looks like I'll be getting some expanding foam and doing a midnight raid on the openings!

From what I've read, wasps build the paper handing nests (of various varieties) and yellowjackets nest underground... Both of them suck and despite the "good" they do for controlling insect populations I'm running out of patience!
    Yellowjackets (these guys): nest both above ground and below ground. Again, +1 to soapy water! Works great, and isn't a systemic environmental poison.

If you can get the nest wet (I just toss a pot or bucket of soapy water on it and run away) it will kill the whole lot of them. It will kill the immediate occupants by direct contact, and get the returnees as soon as they come home. When a nest gets wet, their primary focus becomes repairing/preserving the nest. Upon return, those individuals which were out flying when you d0uched the nest will immediately set about drying it off. They do this by sucking the water off the surface of the paper, one small drop at a time, and then spitting it out off/over the side.... and just one drop of soapy water is enough to kill them.

...But if they're not accessible it ain't gonna work.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I also couldn't find any spray in the valley, amazon prime sent me some in a 3-4 days. I think I'll try the soap water first though.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I just built a wasp trap out of a big plastic cashew container. I cut about a 2"x 2" hole in the side. Then I drilled a 1/8th" hole in the lid. Put a piece of fish on the end of a hook and hung it by some mono from the lid. Put in some soapy water and cooking oil. It took less than 2 minutes to catch the first two. Last I looked it had about 50 in it within the first couple hours. From what I hear, a guy needs to empty the dead ones out after awhile or the ones that drop into it land on the dead ones and can fly out. I put it where I took out the old nest that was still attracting them. It looks like it's gonna be a killin' machine...!!!

Oh and btw.... I heard a theory about why they are so bad this year. It's because of the warm winter we had. Said that the freeze didn't penetrate the ground far enough to kill a lot of them like it usually does. Sounds logical. I guess maybe we can expect more of the same if we continue to have warmer winters....
    Trap killed 386 of them little basta*ds in about 5-6 hours.....yes I counted them.....lol. Think I'll make a couple more tomorrow.

Be careful foaming them in. I have a friend who had a nest in his wall, he foamed them in and they proceeded to eat a hole in the sheetrock and wound up in the house.
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney

Quote Originally Posted by hiker View Post
    Be careful foaming them in. I have a friend who had a nest in his wall, he foamed them in and they proceeded to eat a hole in the sheetrock and wound up in the house.
    Whoa....that can't be any fun at all...!!! Then what'd he do...???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast