Thread: So am I the only one insulted by this?

Default So am I the only one insulted by this?

I realize 99% of all the reality TV is fake, the only segment I really find interesting is the Hailstone family on one of them as I think the native woman teaching her kids is the only thing close to legitimate on any of those shows.

So on a segment of 'Alaskan state troopers' I caught this morning, when a trooper/warden is checking on a newbie hunter who made some blatant errors shooting a caribou the announcer calls him a 'gunman'. Gunman? Really?

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by b79holmes View Post
    I realize 99% of all the reality TV is fake, the only segment I really find interesting is the Hailstone family on one of them as I think the native woman teaching her kids is the only thing close to legitimate on any of those shows.

So on a segment of 'Alaskan state troopers' I caught this morning, when a trooper/warden is checking on a newbie hunter who made some blatant errors shooting a caribou the announcer calls him a 'gunman'. Gunman? Really?

Bill
    sensationalize is the best seller.

Quote Originally Posted by b79holmes View Post

So on a segment of 'Alaskan state troopers' I caught this morning, when a trooper/warden is checking on a newbie hunter who made some blatant errors shooting a caribou the announcer calls him a 'gunman'. Gunman? Really?Bill

Would it have been better if he called him the "shooter"...??? "Gunman" does have kind of a negative sound to it though I guess..... kinda like the "gunman" in a bank robbery....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

There may have also been a lone gunman on the grassy knoll who shot the presiding caribou as it came toward him. But, that's merely a theory.

Poor choice of words. Hunter-when they are legal. Poacher- not legal. Shooter - when they pull the trigger.

Gunman is sexest.

If someone shot a boo illegally then he/she is a hunter who's choice was poor, assuming it was in season.

one day closer to alaska.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

As long as people talk about it and more people check out the show, no one cares how it makes us feel. It's about $$$$$
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm a hunter, shooter and gun owner. Have been for most of my life. I have had formal training, taught gun training, etc.

I think I might be a gunman. Is that a bad thing? I am a law abiding citizen!

Lets never let others make us ashamed of being proficient with weapons, or twist and steal phrases and terms into what they were never meant to be in order to suit and promote their agenda.

I have letters my Father wrote my Mother during WWII. He said when they liberated Paris he had a "gay and grand old time". Clearly words have been stolen to suit some one else's agenda.

Nothing wrong with being a gunman. How you use your talents is what makes them right or wrong.

During oil spills the press always uses gallons over barrels to make it sound worse.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Seems like a silly thing to be insulted by.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbitten View Post
    Seems like a silly thing to be insulted by.
    Most things are...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

I may be mistaken about being a gunman. My recent trip to the range Friday with my 2 grandsons resulted in lots of .22, 9mm and .410 ammo going down range. It was also revealing.

We shot my .22 Ruger pistol, Glock 43 and Glock 19. My accuracy and speed ain't what they used to be. Crap!

gun·man
    ˈɡənmən/
    noun
    a man who uses a gun to commit a crime or terrorist act.
    "a gang of masked gunmen"
    synonyms: armed robber, gangster, terrorist; More
    one who has to do with guns or is engaged in their manufacture.
    Feedback
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    gun·man
    ˈɡənmən/
    noun
    a man who uses a gun to commit a crime or terrorist act.
    "a gang of masked gunmen"
    synonyms: armed robber, gangster, terrorist; More
    one who has to do with guns or is engaged in their manufacture.
    Feedback
    So there ya go......it has absolutely nothing to do with a hunter, or even a hunter in violation, and his firearm of choice....

Now I am confused. All these years of being mistaken. I am after all this, only a person who believes it is a "good thing", to be able to shoot some thing quickly if the need ever arises!

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Now I am confused. All these years of being mistaken. I am after all this, only a person who believes it is a "good thing", to be able to shoot some thing quickly if the need ever arises!
    You're not the only one my friend....

Most of us are victims of nuance and repeated use of words which ends up biasing our own use and interpretation of those words or phrases.

When I was 10 years old I never read anything about Jack O'Conner managing to harvest a sheep, and not one single person in my family harvested anything back then except what was left in a September garden.

I'm 99% a bowhunter by preference. I kill game with a bow. I shoot targets with a bow. I collect a few bows. I like it when someone refers to me as a bowman.

Now tell me whether gunman automatically means 'bad guy with a gun', or is it a corruption of a descriptive noun which we've (many of us) unwittingly accepted, repeated and abused to the point that we....ourselves...feed the belief that a man with a gun is very bad thing in our world?

I had an archer as a client and a rifleman as a client, and who hunted simultaneously. On the third day of the hunt, we saw a gorgeous silvertip (black) mountain grizzly and we made a stalk. When we were about 70 yards away and couldn't approach any closer, the archer relinquished the opportunity to the rifleman. I remember at the time, the archer said; "Bring forward the gunman". After all, it was an assassination attempt. We were there to kill the bear, because as hunters, that's the point of it all. If we weren't there for the kill, then we'd all be packing cameras.