Thread: Kodiak : Uganik Lake Cabin mid Sept

Default Kodiak : Uganik Lake Cabin mid Sept

Was lucky to snag the Uganik lake cabin mid Sept. Starting to plan accordingly. I know the best silver fishing is on the opposite side of the lake and thus have rented a small inflatable to take along. Does anyone have any insight on good patterns for the area? I have some Megawatts, Dolly Llamas, and the standards for silver fishing. Line selection if anyone has insight would be great as well.

As far as spots to fish; is the outlet good, or should I plan on a hike down a ways? I hear it can get very busy with hunters that time a year so trying not to be a nuisance for hunters is key I figure.

Also, has anyone had good luck in the river above the lake? I hear that Uganik is one the best rainbow areas on the island, the area above from the map looks really good. Was wondering if the Silvers make it up that high or if possibly the Reds will be bright red with dollies / bows behind them.

Any help regarding beads / Gurggler sizes as well would be greatly appreciated.

Matt.

Sounds like a blast. The only thing I would do different is go in October and catch some steelhead and chase deer.

You'll do fine with standard silver flies, including the good old Purple Egg Sucking Leech along with those you listed. Best fishing in September is down at the outlet of the lake, a fair distance from the cabin. I wouldn't figure on rowing an inflatable down there unless you just like long rows. I've always done best in the flats channels leading into the outlet river, but a walk downstream is good fun. Bears around, but not so many as on the inlet river.

October is more prime time for hunters because the brush and grass are still up in September. Most of the deer hunting action will be on the ridges overlooking the lake on the opposite side from the cabin because the deer will still be up high. I doubt you'll disrupt any hunts while fishing, even if you're likely to see a few deer down low, too.

The inlet river wouldn't be too bad a walk from the cabin if it wasn't for the swamp in between. I walked it once, then always took a boat across. There are some good Arctic Char in the lake, as distinct from Dolly Varden. I expect to catch them over 5#, and have caught a few that likely pushed 10#. They seem to really like it just over the edge of the drop-off where the river empties into the lake. The grass is tall and thick on the inlet river and there are plenty of bears. I've always left it mostly to them. The reds are pretty busy spawning then, and you won't see all that many silvers. Likely some in the lake right off the mouth, but not many will be going upriver yet. The best rainbow action I've had on the Uganik is in the fast water stretches downstream from the lake. Great Dollies, too. I'm sure there are some of each upriver, but I've just never felt the need to dodge bears in tall grass and alders to get at them.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Brownbear,

Thanks so much.

Kodiak Kamps has be me set up with an outboard motor for the inflatable. So getting to the outlet river should not be an issue. unless wind waves are massive on the lake.

Thanks for the insight on the swampy areas though near the inlet. I think saving gas and rowing that shouldn't be to much of a problem. We might plan a small hike up from the lake but if it becomes more of a danger, then not so much of an option. I just know any time you have spawning sockeyes, then the rainbows are not too far behind. I am guessing the sockeye will not be to far up the river. At least fingers crossed they are not.

5-10lb Arctic char? really? Thats crazy big and really look forward to that. Do you have an suggestions on a fly of any Kind? or just float beads around the drop offs like you mentioned?

Thanks once again and appreciate the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt395 View Post
    5-10lb Arctic char? really? Thats crazy big and really look forward to that. Do you have an suggestions on a fly of any Kind? or just float beads around the drop offs like you mentioned?
    I've always used streamers resembling salmon fry, but give the beads a shot too. I don't fish beads, so I just don't know.

The lake is fairly narrow with steep terrain down either side-virtually a canyon. So the wind can whistle pretty good in tough weather, right down the length of the lake. Discretion needed, and a weather eye.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Hi, I will be next September at the Uganik Lake cabin (same story like Matt395). Was one of you there last year? How was your trip Matt395?
    The inlet of the lake (Upper Uganik River?) is close to the cabin, so not much time with a raft. Is it much better at the outlet at the lake or do we have enough fish at the inlet?
    And: I never fished for silvers in a lake. Does it work? I know silver fishing only from flyfishing on a river.

Thank you,
    Hans
    It's what you do when no one is looking that counts.

http://hansmetzler.me/

Hans,

I just responded to your PM. Regarding the cabin, you have to wait until February or March to get the cabin via the rec . gov site. Good luck because I did not get it this year. I will hit your responses as such though just so you can have an idea.

1. Inlet is filled with dollies and sockeye that time of year. Pinks were in there too. No rainbows in the upper river. And alot of bears in the upper sections. where it drops into the lake was a blast on top water gurgler flies for the dollies up to 5 lbs. No Silves in the upper river were found.

2. The outlet is where are all the Silvers are. There is a deep hole where the silvers sit. Normal Silver fishing here does not apply. The slow stagnant water that Silvers usually lie in does not really exist on this river. So I feel higher water is better. It was low when we were there so we did not have the best luck. Island wide though I was told it was the worst in 40 years.

3. I saw no Silvers in the lake.

4. If you are lucky enough to get the cabin, you will most definitely need a motorized raft like we had to get to the other side of the lake where the silvers are. We used the raft to access the upper river as well and it was much better than walking through the swamp near where the lake is.

5. For sure get yourself a Garmin Inreach. This saved our butt at this spot. The worst early winter storm in 10 years I was told hit the day before we left the cabin. Andrew Airways told us to get out early and we are glad we did. Weather was outright gnarly most of the trip with up to 100 MPH winds and rain to sleet and ice. advice is dont go to this area of the island without one. Pick ups were delayed 3 days and without the InReach we wold have never known.

6. In your planning for Kodiak, give yourself at least 3-4 extra days for weather holds. This is not a suggestion but a prescription for success. Weather being variable is an understatement. It will happen should be the phrase.

My advice: unless Kodiak gets alot of snow this year, I would go elsewhere. Its very expensive to do this trip and going to somewhere else like floating the Kanektok or anywhere in the Kuskoswim area are about the same price if not less. Fishing is on another level for all species. I fished the Kanektok this year and have already booked my trip for next August. Its that good.

If you are keen on Kodiak, I would only do a day trip to the Uganik or float it. The cabin is awesome, however its alot of work with all the logistics involved. To beat the rafters floating each day you are on the lake early before the float planes get there. That top hole where the fish are can get quite busy until they move down stream. I was told by my pilot, the rafters get there silvers there then fish rainbows and dollies as they drift down. This logic I think makes total sense. There is a pretty rad spot to camp at the outlet and you could just float it out as you like. If you want to really do it right on the island then go to the Karluk or Ayukulik drainage's. No cabins, however the later in September you go the better chance for steelhead you will have. Karluk river is world renowned for its volume of steelhead it gets.

Well let me know any questions your have. Sorry if its more of a downer, however just being upfront. I went on a bad year. I am sure its substantially better on normal years.

Regards,
    Matt.