Thread: Need info on proper proceedure

Default Need info on proper proceedure

So I will be making my first trip into the salt here in about two weeks and I read on here something about contacting the harbor master when coming into Seldovia. We plan to launch in Homer, stay in Halibut cove (have a cabin rented) and fish from around the Homer harbor area over towards Seldovia. I have heard there are good restaurants for a mid-day meal there and with a boat full of family it sounds like an easy choice for lunch. What is the procedure for entering the harbors, channel of hail, payment needed? Any info would be great. The cabin includes dock space in Halibut cove so I think we are set there.
    2003 22' Thunder Jet Alexis Classic
    ~MPI 5.7L 320hp w/ Hamilton 212
    ~Suzuki 9.9hp kicker

Hail Seldovia Harbor Master on channel 16. She'll send you to another channel. You can chat there. The transient slips are on the far left as you enter the harbor. They are marked in Yellow (or is it red??) on the side of the dock. The town is cool. The food is pretty good at the bars (2) - not fancy, but pretty good.

Overnight stay for my 24' boat was 20ish. They take most forms of payment.

It's a great little town.
    Stayed there for a night last time I was in AK.
    Would love to do it again.

Call anybody on 16, Harbor Master, fuel docks, Coast Guard. Then switch to another channel to talk, 14 and 69 are popular, 22 is for Coast Guard. In general transient parking is yellow and open, but don't take a little boat and tie up with the big tenders.

Seldovia is a friendly harbor they will guide you in, think there is only a charge for overnight parking. In Homer, day parking is free, if you are tied up in the morning they assume you stayed overnight, Homer you save $5 if you go to the Harbor Master and register, otherwise they will take you registration number, pull your address and send you a bill in the mail.

Don't miss oysters at the Saltry in Halibut Cove, a little spendy but not for the quality of food and location.

When I went into Seldovia harbor the Harbor Master hailed me before I had a chance to hail her. We switched channels and she ask what my plans were. She directed me to the transient slip where she wanted me, with shore power and the cost was very reasonable.

Great little town.