Thread: Knik Turkeys

Default Knik Turkeys

I was out yesterday along the Knik River Rd and saw a hen with several chicks. Is this a one-time deal where they all got out of the pen together? Or have some that were released/escaped previously actually breeding and starting a wild population? Or, I guess, maybe the folks that own 'em let 'em wander around without wire around 'em...don't seem like they'd last too long that way, with all the critters around that'd find 'em tasty.

Default Cooper Landing

I saw several wild turkeys out that way a couple of years ago! I had heard that a local was kind of trying to introduce them. Not sure if they were permitted to do so or not, but it was cool seeing them :-)

Default There's more...

There's way more than you think. LOT'S MORE.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I'm hoping to find one this summer with my bow

Jon

Default Turkeys

I was walking along Knik River Road one day and ended up talking to one of the locals who raises the turkeys. They just kind of let them run wild in the summer. In the winter the birds stick close to their yard where they are fed. They are basically someone's "pet." Plus there is so much private property out there I don't think it would be worth it to actually try to shoot one out there. I did see a small flock earlier this summer crossing the Sterling Highway within the Kenai Wildlife Refuge. Robb's right.