Thread: In hull transducer in a river boat

Default In hull transducer in a river boat

I am looking at buying a river power boat that is for sale that has an in hull transducer left over from a previous owner. The depth finder is no longer there for use. Admittedly, I am sort of new to the power boat scene, but it strikes me as odd to have something sticking down about 1/4 inch past the bottom of a flat bottomed river boat. My concern is with it getting caught on something and getting ripped out or the seal degrading over time and having a leak. Perhaps I am naive, but a hole in the bottom of my boat makes me a little nervous. I plan on using the boat mostly on the Kenai, but a trip to the Yukon for moose is not out of the question.

Thanks,
    Scott

If you had ever seen the bottom of a river boat that ran over rocks there would not be any question about removing the transducer and welding a cover over the hole.

What MacGyver said....Weld it up, don't even think otherwise.

What you have is a "though hull", "in hull" is the way to go on a riverboat of you plan on having one...
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    What you have is a "though hull", "in hull" is the way to go on a riverboat of you plan on having one...
    You are correct grampa. I misspoke. Thank you all for the advice. Glad to know I am not off my rocker questioning that. The bottom of the boat in question is in darn good shape especially since it is over 20 years old, but that is with mostly Kenai River usage. Not too rigorous.

Scott

Gramps, not grampa. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    Gramps, not grampa. Sorry

HAHA no worries, I epoxied in a broken Garmin transducer years ago and it works rather well.

Not a big deal on the rivers by the time you see 6" on the screen, its too late, but it is handy for finding holes to fish and we coming back on the Yukon last year I used it quite a bit to run closer to shore than I normally wood. We were heavy and 10' water (or less) helped stay on step.

It was a little nerve racking running that way at times...!
    TR

The in hull set up makes way more sense in a shallow running river boat. While researching this whole situation, I came upon a Raymarine site that nicely described the various transducer types. For the in hull type though, it listed one of the disadvantages being that it only worked with fiberglass.

http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=199

It is less likely to work on fiberglass because of air between layers. Epoxied to the inside of the aluminum hull is the only way to go for a river boat.
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Music Man View Post
    It is less likely to work on fiberglass because of air between layers. Epoxied to the inside of the aluminum hull is the only way to go for a river boat.

I've owned a couple fiberglass boats in the past. I've installed Thru hull transducers in all of them without nary an issue. Did it the first time to my Ranger Bass boat and a few buddies boats as well. Most fiberglass boats that are bought rigged and packaged come with thru hull setups using epoxy to mount and seal the transducer to inside of the hull. I have never seen this done on a metal boat, didn't think the trnsducer would be able to get its signal through the aluminum.

Yes, having one installed at recommended levels below the transom does make the transducer more susceptible to being ripped off, especially on a river boat that will see shallow water. It only took me 3 trips out with mine to have mother nature break the mounting tab on my new Lowrance HDI transducer... I have now raised the transducer so it just barely peeks below the bottom of the transom. The only disadvantage to this is I now lose signal when running above 30mph due to the transducer not getting clean enough water. And I now carry a spare transducer mounting tab.. lesson learned lol.

We are talking about shooting through the hull with no hole in the bottom. It works fine in a aluminum boat.

We are talking about shooting through the hull with no hole in the bottom. It works fine in a aluminum boat.
    Yeah, that's what I figured you were talking about. I've just never seen it done, and the instructions with my new unit said that "through hull" as you're talking about wouldn't work if hull material was metal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing that will stop sonar is air. I'm shooting through 1/4 bottom with an old broken Garmin puck.

Same here only 1/8" bottom any transducer will work.
    TR

Did you guys use a standard two part clear epoxy to mate the transducer to the hull or a different compound?

I bought some special clear from http://vexilar.com

I bought some special clear from http://vexilar.com
    Just checked it out. Their epoxy states it WILL work on aluminum through hull transducer installations. I'll be moving my transducer inside to where it's protected!