Thread: My old 30-30 has been revived😋.

Default My old 30-30 has been revived😋.

I spent much of the last week refurbishing an old beater 336. While I was waiting for True Oil to dry I worked up some loads for the old girl.

The chamber in this rifle is a little oversized. I have not done a chamber casting but miking the cases that have been fire formed to this chamber tell the tale. In fact the portion of the case web just above the rim that doesn't fit up into the resizing die is stretched enough that they won't chamber in my other two 30-30s even after full length resizing. I just keep my brass sorted to the gun they are for and all is good. Also the throat in this old Marlin has plenty of free bore so case trimming has never been necessary. I decided a while back that neck sizing was the only way to fly with this old 336. The slightly oversized cases with long necks add to the case capacity by a small but noticeable amount.

My powder of choice is ww748. If I tap on the side of the case with a 60d ring shank nail(any tapping device will suffice) then I can get 43 grains of 748 in the case. With the two bullets that I load 43 grains still keeps the pressure south of 35,000 psi and very safe. The bullets are the Hornady 100 gr Short Jacket and a 130 gr SP(one in the chamber and one in the magazine..hence a twice shooter). My buddy Ty's fps machine shows the 100 grainer to be 2870fps for the average and about 2700 fps on the nose for the 130 grain pill. What this translates to this old fart is that this 30-30 is an honest 250 yard gun. The 100 grainers for coyotes and the 130s for deer. Sighted in a bit over 3 inches high at a hundred yields a shoot right at them proposition out to 250. My groups were all less than 2 inches and usually closer to 1.5 inches @ 100 so the accuracy is there to make this 30-30 a 250 yard varmint/deer rifle. I can live with that!!😉

Man oh man. I think you've gone past revival all the way to reincarnation! Won't seem like it to youngsters, but us old guys have to stick together.

You and Smitty will get a chuckle out of what just happened in my driveway. Had a coffee klatch with the local geezers, and one of them informed us we're all behind the times. Seems there's four stages to growing old: Duffer, codger, geezer and coot. And we're all coots, for sure!

One coot to another, you've done really well by that 336.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

Oldies can do what ever new thought up stuff can.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I spent much of the last week refurbishing an old beater 336. While I was waiting for True Oil to dry I worked up some loads for the old girl.

The chamber in this rifle is a little oversized. I have not done a chamber casting but miking the cases that have been fire formed to this chamber tell the tale. In fact the portion of the case web just above the rim that doesn't fit up into the resizing die is stretched enough that they won't chamber in my other two 30-30s even after full length resizing. I just keep my brass sorted to the gun they are for and all is good. Also the throat in this old Marlin has plenty of free bore so case trimming has never been necessary. I decided a while back that neck sizing was the only way to fly with this old 336. The slightly oversized cases with long necks add to the case capacity by a small but noticeable amount.

My powder of choice is ww748. If I tap on the side of the case with a 60d ring shank nail(any tapping device will suffice) then I can get 43 grains of 748 in the case. With the two bullets that I load 43 grains still keeps the pressure south of 35,000 psi and very safe. The bullets are the Hornady 100 gr Short Jacket and a 130 gr SP(one in the chamber and one in the magazine..hence a twice shooter). My buddy Ty's fps machine shows the 100 grainer to be 2870fps for the average and about 2700 fps on the nose for the 130 grain pill. What this translates to this old fart is that this 30-30 is an honest 250 yard gun. The 100 grainers for coyotes and the 130s for deer. Sighted in a bit over 3 inches high at a hundred yields a shoot right at them proposition out to 250. My groups were all less than 2 inches and usually closer to 1.5 inches @ 100 so the accuracy is there to make this 30-30 a 250 yard varmint/deer rifle. I can live with that!!😉
    What'er you using for sights?

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Sounds like a great winter rifle for wolves and whatnot! I have witnessed the old 30-30 do things the younger generation would say is impossible. A older native fellow worked for my dad on our ranch for many years and all he ever carried was an old 94/30-30. Over the years dad gave him multiple "newer" better rifles, but they never saw much time in the woods....he just loved that 30-30. One day I saw him shoot a grizzly that had killed one of our cows. We were on this big hydro line where the poles are 300-yards apart. We were at one set of poles and the grizzly was at the next set. Maxy got down on one knee and shot that bear right in the chest. The bear dropped like a stone and that was that.

Smitty I strapped on a Bushnell 3x9 Sharp Shooter scope so as to realize potential of the loads. It's back to being naked on top septin for the original sights. I think the original sights are a good choice for quick target acquisition for coyotie shooting.

I will mostly shoot the short jackets. I cut a couple of loads of wood this afternoon and had this 336 leaning against a nearby tree. We got no bears but meth heads are in abundance. Truth be known I'd much rather have some bears.

Next up is another 30-30. This one has been pretty much ignored. It's a nice older H&R SB2. It's one of those ones with the dark stain and has a Schnabeled forend. I want to play with some light lead projectiles with a real light powder charge. Something for putting meat in the pot should I decide to hang out for a week at my hunting shack.

I really think the true potential of the 30-30 can only be realized with a good gas checked 170 grain slug in the 2,000fps neighborhood. I know it's thought that game animals are tougher now than they have ever been and wiz bang magnumitis is running rampant but us coots know better than to get sucked into that. I'm of the persuasion that one of those 170 grainers outta a 30-30 lobbed into the right spot on most any critter would render them to succumb more better than one of those wizbangs blowing a butt cheek clear off.

I have fallen subject go being a spur of the moment horse trader in recent years. To much time on GunBroker and not enough time at the bench and range. I have accumulated the guns that I want to have for the rest of my days prior becoming a turd in the woods and I have accumulated enough bullet/ powderscombination to play until my heart is content. Some of you guys have been gracious enough to share some of your favorite boolits to try. In the end I will most likely end up with one load for each rifle but I have a whole lot of boolits and cans of powder to experiment with before settling on one pet load for each rifle.

I just bought a real pristine 336 in 30-30 to send off to JES to be turned into a 375 Winchester. In my experience I have come to learn that Jes Ocumpaugh knows how to to put a bore in a gun that will cater to cast bullets and that is what makes the 375 really shine.

I'm fixing to slow down and experience and experiment a whole lot in the next while. Should be fun times.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Man oh man. I think you've gone past revival all the way to reincarnation! Won't seem like it to youngsters, but us old guys have to stick together.

You and Smitty will get a chuckle out of what just happened in my driveway. Had a coffee klatch with the local geezers, and one of them informed us we're all behind the times. Seems there's four stages to growing old: Duffer, codger, geezer and coot. And we're all coots, for sure!

One coot to another, you've done really well by that 336.
    I like being a coot....it was hard earned but finally I are one! Ha! Isn't cootness a form of royalty in the been there done that relm? I certainly have never left any stones unturned thats for sure. I had my name on every water tower in northeast Iowa. The police all new the kid with the 66 Sport Fury. Next time I blink my eyes there will be a cane in the hand that just yesterday was banging the slap stick on that B&M shifter behind that souped up 383. Time flys when your having fun........and I have had a lot of it.

It'd be the funnest thing going to have a coot reunion up there in the great land some day. I'd drag Smokey along too cuz he is a good ole coot!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

That's a workable plan I'm sure. Testing your loads using a scope.

Iron sights need adjustment too. And they can be difficult, because normally they aren't very precise.

That's why I like Receiver/Peep sights, but my eye balls are starting to see double front sights again.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    That's a workable plan I'm sure. Testing your loads using a scope.

Iron sights need adjustment too. And they can be difficult, because normally they aren't very precise.

That's why I like Receiver/Peep sights, but my eye balls are starting to see double front sights again.

SOTN
    Out to fifty yards I have no need for a scope. Just yesterday I shot several 5 shot 1 inch groups at 50 yards with grandson's Henry Evil Roy 22. My buddy Ray has shot one inch groups at 100 with peeps. I am sure that both of you have way more experience with peeps than I. For some reason I need the sights closer together in order keep them in focus with each other. I am very nearsighted and can read small print from 12 inches to three feet away from my eye. However if you put that same print at 6 inches it is a blurry mess. At 3 inches it might as well not even be there. With my glasses off I can see the ring on a receiver mounted peep very well but can't even find the front sight. From what I have seen of other folks who shoot peep sights it would be advantages for me if I could. My eyesight had deteriorated so much over the last several years that iron sights were getting almost nonfunctional period. However it was recently learned that I had swelling of the optical nerve and a BP check revealed a big part of the problem. The original prescribed BP meds helped a lot but then two weeks ago they made a change in those meds and I think that was another step towards improving my iron sight abilities....and a big boost in morale.

When a person's favorite rifle styles in the world is iron sighted lever actions and side hammer muzzleloaders yet you can't see the sights it's very discouraging. I have a very new zest to mess with my lever guns again since I can see the sights again.