Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-30 Bear Bullet

Default 30-30 Bear Bullet

I am leaning towards the nosler partition because of its reputation, and, its readily available in 170 grain. I do not want to consider 150 grainers. Any suggestions for a premium bullet that will work well will be appreciated.

That would be my pick. Hard to go wrong with partitions, and heavier builds are futile with the 30-30 round.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

I forgot to mention, another option. A Cast lyman 311041, 170 grain flat nose gas checked, out of about a 12 bhn alloy. I think that would give a good combination of expansion and penetration.

I didn't go into casting because you were talking jacketed. But my own preferences run to cast.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I forgot to mention, another option. A Cast lyman 311041, 170 grain flat nose gas checked, out of about a 12 bhn alloy. I think that would give a good combination of expansion and penetration.
    Good bullet, that Lyman 311041, I guess. I shoot'em all the time, full power loads, too. But never bagged any animules with it. l cawn't be any help there.

I can't see using a Nosler Partition at 30 30 velocities. Hornady 170 gr. 30 30 bullets is my choice.

I shoot a variety of cast bullets, mostly at reduced velocity.

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Send it to JES and have him turn it into a .35-30 then shoot a hard cast 250 gr. FN at about 1800. It will go thru today, tomorrow and into next week. We put one thru three 5 gal buckets of water and I think it's still going...never did find it in the sand behind the buckets. I used to carry a Guide Gun with 480gr cast but these things out penetrate the .45-70 and it kicks half as much.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    Send it to JES and have him turn it into a .35-30 then shoot a hard cast 250 gr. FN at about 1800. It will go thru today, tomorrow and into next week. We put one thru three 5 gal buckets of water and I think it's still going...never did find it in the sand behind the buckets. I used to carry a Guide Gun with 480gr cast but these things out penetrate the .45-70 and it kicks half as much.
    Which bullets do you use, and are they jacketed or cast??

Thanks

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    I have a real nice 336 all boxed up and ready to be shipped to JES only mine will become a 375 Winchester which also shoots 375-30. in fact most of the ammo that I shoot in 375's these days say 30-30 on the headstamp. I'm not so sure but what the 35-30 might be the better way to go if one was starting out cold turkey. However I must have a couple thousand different .375 bullets to shoot up.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    'm not so sure but what the 35-30 might be the better way to go if one was starting out cold turkey. However I must have a couple thousand different .375 bullets to shoot up.
    At one point I got all hot and bothered to have a 35-30 since I like 35 cal so much in general. But then I took my 336 in 35 Remington back out shooting and cooled my jets. Both are good rounds and very similar, so I just stuck with the 35 Rem. You've sure got my attention with the 375, though.

Years ago a bud had one done up in 33-30 based around the Hornady FN 200 grain 338 intended for the 33 Winchester. I thought long and hard about it, but didn't act fast enough before Hornady quit making the bullet. I used to load them to similar velocities as a deer bullet for my own and a friend's 338 mags. He got so spun up on them he actually started reloading. When Hornady quit the bullet he went on a buying mission, and I'm pretty sure he bought every remaining box in the western US. No sense looking for them now with him lurking in the bushes!
    Merle Haggard

35 - 30 intrigues me, but I've got so many other projects to work on that I don't have time for either.

One thing for sure, I'd make certain suitable bullets were available.

35 Remington has the advantage of FLs, but for handloading and Cast bullets, 35 - 30 might be preferable. I justa don't know bout OALs and such.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

I would love to have a 35/30-30 made up. I like the idea of a 375 winchester or similar, but i really enjoy the history of the 30-30 and the 35/30-30. I know there is a lot of good bullets available for 35 caliber too.

I dont have any experience with the nosler partition, but I know they make one specifically for the 30-30, so It will be designed to perform properly at 30-30 velocities.

I know 30-30 is not ideal for bear, but, its what i have, and what im most likely to have with me in the woods at any given point.

I would love to have a 35/30-30 made up. I like the idea of a 375 winchester or similar, but i really enjoy the history of the 30-30 and the 35/30-30. I know there is a lot of good bullets available for 35 caliber too.

I dont have any experience with the nosler partition, but I know they make one specifically for the 30-30, so It will be designed to perform properly at 30-30 velocities.

I know 30-30 is not ideal for bear, but, its what i have, and what im most likely to have with me in the woods at any given point.
    Well, if I was a hungry old toothless bear and had to stoop to eating people I reckon I'd loose my appetite if my meal started spitting 170 grain bullets of any structure at me at 2k fps.😉. The timeless old thutty thutty has a way long reputation for killing stuff bigger than it's suppose to be able to kill.

I think my notes are long gone but my brother and I once tested a warmly loaded Marlin 1894 using 300 grain hard cast gas checks vs a 336/30-30 shooting gas checked wheel weight bullets molded in that famous Lyman 170 grain mold. The 30-30 was running about 1800 fps. The penetration into wet newspaper was virtually equal. The 44s were a real hard casting and they hardly changed shapes after the trip through the newspaper while the 30-30s mushroomed/flattened to just over 40 cal. The 30-30 did go a bit deeper. I have since found that a .378/ 265 grain hard cast/ gas checked pill at 1800 will out penetrate either of the other two and by a good margin. That's why I really have a thing for the 375 Winny.

Bullet's for 30 30 have thinner jackets so they will expand at 30 30 velocity

If the idea of the Partition is to keep the bullet from blowing up, and insuring penetration, because the bullet shank is not designed to expand,,,

I don't think we hafta worry about a 30 30 bullet over expanding and failing to penetrate at 30 30 speed.

I'm sure the 30 30 NPT will work fine, but I'm dubious that the partition is of any value. Or the added cost.

Didn't Nosler come up with the idee after a bullet failure in a 300 Magnum?

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

In about 6 decades around guys using the 30-30 lots, if only sporadic use by me, I don't recall seeing a single instance of a bullet coming apart. Back in the day the big argument was between the Remington CoreLokt and the Winchester Silver Tip, but which one killed deer quicker rather than which penetrated better or kept the most weight or whatever.

It's most notable that two extended families all had used the 30-30 for generations, just passing the rifles down the ladder as guys aged out and youngsters started. Each of those families owned a mold for the same FN 170 grain bullet from Lyman. Best I can recall it was gas checked, and they were loading and shooting wheel weights because one of the sons had a tire shop. Deer killingest families in the whole region. It's notable because this was hard core Savage 99 country, with the 300 accounting for about 90% of the rifles in use. Sure didn't tempt those families to switch to jacketed, or to a hotter round.
    Merle Haggard

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Which bullets do you use, and are they jacketed or cast??

Thanks

SOTN
    Smitty,

Sorry I'm so slow...I'm building a hanger and it takes up a lot of time.

The bullet is actually a Hunter Supply 246gr FP (01359 24641). I also use their 193 gr .308 (01311 19341) in a couple .30-30's. Either that one or 125 FN for coyotes and they will kill deer real well too...too light I believe for bear.

Using the old powders and loads need to be worked up slowly since the new powder of the same name is hotter.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Bill Pinell killed his first Brownie with a 30-30,10' 6"
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Bill Pinell killed his first Brownie with a 30-30,10' 6"
    I would imagine that Bill made it land right where it needed to land and me thinks that anything walking be a one shot kill from a 30-30 with one of those big hard cast bullets iffen the shot hit its mark.

Presumably, the rep of 30 30 was built on 170 and 150 grain soft nose - flat nose bullets.

I dunno if a 170 grain FN cast bullet would be as effective as a 170 grain Hornady. I'm thinking it MAY penetrate more, but wouldn't expand as much..

When I carry my 30 30 for bear protection, and I do, I wonder if I shouldn't be using the 170 grain Hornady LOADS.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Presumably, the rep of 30 30 was built on 170 and 150 grain soft nose - flat nose bullets.

I dunno if a 170 grain FN cast bullet would be as effective as a 170 grain Hornady. I'm thinking it MAY penetrate more, but wouldn't expand as much..

When I carry my 30 30 for bear protection, and I do, I wonder if I shouldn't be using the 170 grain Hornady LOADS.

SOTN
    You could very well be right! I remember whe 82 year old Evert King shot a big Mo. whitetail buck with a Remington 170 grain Core lokt. It was running away from him and he shot it under the tail. Since we were hunting on his property the honorable thing to do was for one of us much younger guys to gut his deer. That was me! That bullet made it from one end to the to the other and made a big mess in the middle. I am pretty sure Hornady still uses the cup and core bullet technology for 30-30 class rounds. I don't think cup and core bullets ever shined any brighter than they do in a 30-30.

Good ole Texas heart shot
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast