Thread: Permanent Fuel Tank in old Jon Boat?

Default Permanent Fuel Tank in old Jon Boat?

I have an old 1978 1848 Lowe Line Jon Boat. The previous owner cut a hole out of the top of the middle bench and removed the foam to make a padded bench seat that opens to a storage compartment. I like it. The rear and front benches are still intact.

I am wondering about doing the same to the front bench and installing a permanent fuel tank. I think I have found a Moeller 19-gal tank that would fit in the space. The idea is to save deck space by avoiding portable tanks and get some weight farther forward.

Has anyone done this?? I know getting rid of the floatation foam may be frowned upon in case the boat every got swamped. Other than that, any draw backs? Anyone have experience doing this? Any tips?

Any and all input will be appreciated!

"I know getting rid of the floatation foam may be frowned upon in case the boat every got swamped. " I think you have your answer.

Pull the foam. If you swamp the boat that bad it's going down regardless. The foam just lets you watch it sink for a minute or two longer.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    Pull the foam. If you swamp the boat that bad it's going down regardless. The foam just lets you watch it sink for a minute or two longer.
    Agree......customize it for your needs.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

19 gallons of gas weighs roughly 160 pounds. Probably not too big of a deal providing the tank sits as near to the keel as possible. If it will sit considerably above floor level, your center of gravity could change. Just something to consider.

Good point about the center gravity. Part of the reason I would cut the top out of the bench and remove the foam would be to get the tank as low as possible. A tank in the bench should have about the same or lower center of gravity as 4 or 5 portable gas cans (which is my typical mode of operation).

I have a 24 gallon tank in my 16 foot jon boat that sits under the middle bench seat. Its more gas than I need for sure but it works like a charm. I have zero balance issues and get on step easily with full load of people and fuel. The filler cap is under a padded seat in front of the console that flips up.

Attachment 89891Here is the only photo that I have of the boat. You can barely see the red tank under the middle bench seat. It sits atop a piece of blue board to keep it from getting an abrasion hole bouncing around.

The picture isn't working! I'm very interested in seeing how it is setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by HKYDDY View Post
    Attachment 89891Here is the only photo that I have of the boat. You can barely see the red tank under the middle bench seat. It sits atop a piece of blue board to keep it from getting an abrasion hole bouncing around.