Thread: Osprey Boat kicker fuel tank

Default Osprey Boat kicker fuel tank

Looking for kicker fuel tank ideas. I have a 26ft Osprey. The main motor is diesel so I need a separate gas tank for the kicker. I'm currently using a 5 gallon portable tank that just sits on the deck. I'm getting tired of tripping over it...

I'm thinking about building a tank to fit inside/under the Port gunnel. I think this was an option from the factory on some of these boats.

Thanks!

If you made the tank out of card board you could work out ware to put the intake and outlet and how many gallons it will hold.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    If you made the tank out of card board you could work out ware to put the intake and outlet and how many gallons it will hold.
    Yeah pretty much what I'm thinking as well. The angles will be pretty odd if I go under the gunnel. So, I'll definitely need to make a model before fabricating anything...

Build a box that is open on the bottom, than put it over the tank , put a cover on top an you have a seat , every boat can use an extra seat
    put holes in the side so you can run the gas hose out to the kicker if you need to use it, I did it with inflatable I had a fvew years
    no longer tripped over it you sit on it , SID

Whomever owned my SeaSport before me had 2 - 18 gallon tanks built and mounted seats on them behind the cabin. Works well. You could make one for diesel and one for gas.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

How about getting a tank built to fit in one of the aft fish boxes? I find the fish boxes practically useless on my 26' LC, they're way too warm to hold fish being next to the engine and collect all sorts of rain and crap.

Default Osprey Boat kicker fuel tank

Man I wish you'd posted this last fall I had a tank that fit in the fish box. 18gal. I gave it away. Cause I re powered. I'll see if I can find him see if he still has it. He was using in his Jon boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

I don't think the fuel tank/seat idea is what I'm looking for. The deck of the boat has 2 built in battery boxes that are used as seats. The engine cover also gets a fair amount of use as a seat...

My main objective is to clear up deck space.

Quote Originally Posted by highcountrybulls View Post
    How about getting a tank built to fit in one of the aft fish boxes? I find the fish boxes practically useless on my 26' LC, they're way too warm to hold fish being next to the engine and collect all sorts of rain and crap.
    I know what you mean about the fish boxes! They are probably my biggest issue with this boat.

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    Man I wish you'd posted this last fall I had a tank that fit in the fish box. 18gal. I gave it away. Cause I re powered. I'll see if I can find him see if he still has it. He was using in his Jon boat.
    Did you just sit the tank in the box or was the fill and vent plumbed to the exterior somewhere? I am a little concerned with putting a gas tank down there because of fuel spill or gas vapor. However, the top of my port fish box is actually open up to the transom so plumbing stuff in that cavity and running to the exterior would be simple enough.

Quote Originally Posted by mbarth View Post
    Did you just sit the tank in the box or was the fill and vent plumbed to the exterior somewhere? I am a little concerned with putting a gas tank down there because of fuel spill or gas vapor. However, the top of my port fish box is actually open up to the transom so plumbing stuff in that cavity and running to the exterior would be simple enough.
    Good point on the vapors, it Should be simple enough to plumb a vent line to a thru hull breather and build the tank with a fill port in the top. A small aluminum rectangular tank would be pretty slick... Now you got me thinking about a much cleaner way to get the extra range I've been after without hauling barrels!