Thread: Deep Creek Dolly advice please

Default Deep Creek Dolly advice please

Good morning! As this is my first summer here I am just getting started in becoming familiar with the fishing on the Peninsula. Stopped at Deep Creek yesterday on our way back from Homer to try for some Dollies but struck out. Is it still too early for them? I was fishing beads. Granted, I was only a few hundred yards upriver from the Sterling Hwy bridge which may have been an issue, too.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

You're not too early but a little early for beads. Try nymph and minnow patterns for the next two weeks then switch back to a king bead.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebraun View Post
    You're not too early but a little early for beads. Try nymph and minnow patterns for the next two weeks then switch back to a king bead.
    Ya...I was wondering about that. As for rods, I figure a 9ft. 5wt. should be about perfect in there, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    Good morning! As this is my first summer here I am just getting started in becoming familiar with the fishing on the Peninsula. Stopped at Deep Creek yesterday on our way back from Homer to try for some Dollies but struck out. Is it still too early for them? I was fishing beads. Granted, I was only a few hundred yards upriver from the Sterling Hwy bridge which may have been an issue, too.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
    There will be a lot more dollies when the pinks show up in a few weeks.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by smousefam5 View Post
    Ya...I was wondering about that. As for rods, I figure a 9ft. 5wt. should be about perfect in there, yes?
    A 5wt is just fine, we use 4wts. Last year the fish averaged about 17" and an occasional silver kept it quite exciting.
    FISH LIVES MATTER

My son was fishing a 4 wt there, after all why bother going heavier when most of the fish are 10-18"!!!! He hooked a monster dolly, well over 30", and got his hat handed to him after chasing him all over the creek. He never took his 4 wt down there again after he lost that fish!!! And I second what FG said, wait a few more weeks until the pinks start showing for best action.

Heading up there again this evening. I will be using more traditional flies this time and will fish later in the evening when the sun isn't so high on the water.