Thread: Sonar question

Default Sonar question

I just bought a Lowrance Elite 7 for the Chirp feature. I had a first gen HDS5. My plan is to keep the old HDS5 unit and run it strictly as a plotter and use the new unit strictly as a sonar. My question is: will the fact that both units have GPS cause them to interfere with each other? Also is it worth it to link the two units together, which would open up a whole new line of questions

Thanks
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

GPS shouldn't be a problem. I run separate GPS/Sonar units at my fore and aft steering stations. Not sure about linking them.
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

Quote Originally Posted by healerf18 View Post
    GPS shouldn't be a problem. I run separate GPS/Sonar units at my fore and aft steering stations. Not sure about linking them.
    I didn't think so but with my luck....

Thanks for the info
    Experience is a hard teacher because you get the test first and the lesson afterwards.

I don't think you can link the Elite series to a network, they are sold more as a standalone unit.
    I would leave the old transducer installed and just disable the sonar on the HDS5, that way you have a backup if the new one quits working.

Their respective GPS capabilities won't interfere with each other. I have two HDS 8 on my console, side by side and they're fine. Likewise, I like stand alone units. I have never networked two or three units in the almost 20 years I've owned my own boats. Sharing waypoints or a sonar readout from one ducer are the most common reasons to network and I just like each unit used on it's own in it's own way. Sometimes I'll run one as sonar, one as chart, or one as a sonar/chart split and sometimes both as a chart but on different zooms. Then my bow unit is all on it's own and I'll run it to follow track lines on structure.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

Just a thought - as I noted above, I run GPS/Sonar units fore and aft and I have separate transducers as well. The forward unit runs CHIRP because I like the detail when I'm exploring. The aft unit runs standard, which has plenty of resolution for normal fishing. The transducers don't interfere at all with each other so I can run both at the same time, and I rather like having two independent units on board. Like Kodiakfly said, I've never felt the need to share waypoints (either between units, or with fishing 'friends')
    "Miss Mary"
    Kingfisher 2725, twin Yamaha 150's

No, the GPS units will not interfere. You can also run transducers on both units at same time as long as they are running different frequencies. I'm running 3 head units all networked together, I'll run 50K, 200K and sidescan ducers at same time occasionally.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Exactly what I wanted to know, thanks guys. I will leave both transducers mounted then.

So got everything installed and went for a test run today. New Elite 7 worked great and the chirp image was awesome.....for about 15 minutes. Then it wouldn't read bottom at speed or just bobbing around. Read 2' with lots noise on the screen. I turned off my other machine just to rule out any cross talk issues and restarted the unit several times but the problem didn't go away.....

Any thoughts?

I had a Lowrance, not a fan myself for saltwater, I prefer Simrad, Garmin,

i have read read on forums people having issues with Lowrance and needing software upgrades, have you turned

your gain down to 75% , if there's too much crap in the water or a thermal it will read that . My Lowrance would never
    hold bottom lock while cruising, too much prop/wash and strake interference. you sure you had the correct transducer and setting ??

Quote Originally Posted by ValcoBayrunner View Post
    I had a Lowrance, not a fan myself for saltwater, I prefer Simrad, Garmin,

i have read read on forums people having issues with Lowrance and needing software upgrades, have you turned

your gain down to 75% , if there's too much crap in the water or a thermal it will read that . My Lowrance would never
    hold bottom lock while cruising, too much prop/wash and strake interference. you sure you had the correct transducer and setting ??
    I'll have to try turning down the gain. I assume the transducer is correct since it came with the unit and it was working for a bit before it flaked out...

I may have to just break down and give customer service a call

I installed an HDS-9 in my boat last year, second trip out the depth quit working. It was hot to the touch on the back of the unit before it failed. They replaced it with a new unit and it has worked great ever since.