Thread: Carbines?

Default Carbines?

I like carbines and hope to get one in an AR platform chambered in a pistol cartridge. I can't decide if I want a 9mm, 10mm or .45 ACP.
    For home defense I am leaning towards a 9mm as my wife could shoot it easier.

Do any of you have any carbines in any of these chambered for these rounds?

I've shot a number of pistol caliber carbines... none of them will be challenging for your wife to shoot at all. Recoil in a rifle will be mild to non-existant.

If you are getting a pistol caliber carbine- go big. No penalty in terms of weight or recoil. I had a Marlin Camp 45 Carbine many moons ago and it was a surprisingly good little gun and the various levers in .357 and .44 are better yet and the extended sight radius and a little extra steam turn them into something else entirely.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I have had mac's,uzi's in 9mm and a-3 grease gun in 45acp. All I have now is a Inland 30cal carbine.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I keep trying pistol cartridge carbines, and continually try to use them beyond their useful range capabilities. The only one still hanging around is an M94AE .357 Mag that I bought new in 1999 for the wife's first Christmas after we met. It stays in the gun box after I gave her a War II vintage Inland M1 30 carbine. I think she may ask to be buried with that M1!!!
    I think that the only "pistol cartridge" type carbine I'm looking at right now trying to figure out what the best route would be to stuff a 500 S&W into a carbine. For simplicity, it may end up being a conversion on an M91/30 Mosin.

I sure like my Rossi M92 454 Casull. A 300+ gr bullet moving at over 2000 fps is some pretty respectable power. When shooting even hot 45 colt loads there is barely any recoil to speak of.

Of course it's not an AR, but you can paint it black, mount a rail (they come pre-drilled) and slap a red dot on it if you feel the need to go tactical 🙂

Quote Originally Posted by Darreld Walton View Post
    I think that the only "pistol cartridge" type carbine I'm looking at right now trying to figure out what the best route would be to stuff a 500 S&W into a carbine. For simplicity, it may end up being a conversion on an M91/30 Mosin.
    That's a truly fascinating prospect! Keep us posted.

Haven't noticed you online recently, so it's good to come across this post. Horse sense adds a lot to any discussion.
    "Lay in the weeds and wait, and when you get your chance to say something, say something good."
    Merle Haggard

This company makes some nice carbines, including 500 S&W .
    http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog...mory-products/

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

The only Carbine chambered for a pistol cartridge, I am interested in, is the Ruger 77- 357 or the 77-44 ..

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by normK View Post
    yes they look nice and come with a not so nice price.

Since you are looking for a pistol cartridge in Ar platform I'd recommend the 9mm. You can get dedicated lowers which are more reliable. Either glock mags or colt platform stick mags. Both easy to find. The 10mm and 45 are not as popular yet and much harder to find parts. I have a sbr 9mm ar15 with 4" barrel. Very fun to shoot with zero malfunctions, and very little recoil.

Since it will mainly be a house gun I will probably go with the 9mm. I doubt we will ever need it.

For many yeas my wife has packed a little Mod. 94 Winchester in .44 mag. It has a receiver sight, 20" barrel and holds 10 rounds. It is a nice handling, reliable, light weight carbine for her and the 280 grain LBT hard cast should do the job on most critters.

I can get faster hits with it then I can with my .44 mag. revolver.

Quote Originally Posted by normK View Post
    Thanks, normK! I investigated them. Took notice of them several years back when they were still developing prototypes, and there were only a few working specimens floating around, and nothing for sale. Unfortunately, the one I want has a list price of $3500.00. Just a bit outside the reach of my retirement income!

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's a truly fascinating prospect! Keep us posted.

Haven't noticed you online recently, so it's good to come across this post. Horse sense adds a lot to any discussion.
    Big move about four years ago, and for at least a couple months after, we had no/little internet access. After that, I dumped a cup of coffee all over the laptop, and then it didn't matter if we had internet! We ended up with a 6.5 acre "hobby farm" on the side of US Hwy 93, where we see a lot of traffic headed to and from Craters of the Moon Nat. Monument, and a lot of hay haulers. Best part is that I can go five minutes out of town and be in big game country, upland critters, or dunkin' worms in the Big Lost River. Re-tirement is tough!

I have a friend that has a 40S&W from this company. mechtechsys.com. I have thought about getting one to fit Glock 17/19. His functions flawlessly and is good on pop cans to 50 yards.

mechtechsyst.com should have posted as a direct link but didn't so you will have to do it the hard way.

I built a couple 9mm on Lone Wolf lowers that take Glock mags. One is a 10" pistol and then a 16" rifle. I keep 32 round mags in them but you can use any G17 or like mags to make them not so much "sub gun" like. They are both pretty much 50 yd guns but are fun and great house guns. I wish they made one in 10mm.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.