Thread: Pro Apollo?

Default Pro Apollo?

Been looking at Glacier Craft, Bay Weld... Anyone have experience with Pro Apollo? They seem to be all over up and down the highway south of Soldotna and look to be built just much 'commercial grade' as GC or BW.

Im assuming you're looking at the pro apollo for sale for 115k? I looked at it. The boat has 2 stroke motors and the windows need to be resealed.

Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    Im assuming you're looking at the pro apollo for sale for 115k? I looked at it. The boat has 2 stroke motors and the windows need to be resealed.
    Yeah, the red one. Did you take it out? I am curious how they handle. How would you rate the build quality on the boat itself?

I didn't take it out. I have looked at it twice. Owner tried selling it about five years ago and it was parked at hutchings chevy for awhile in Soldotna. That red one needs all new electronics,motors, windows resealed, and a good general cleanup/updating
    Their handling characteristics aren't bad although I question the lack of bulkheads under the sealed floor. I believe Lonnie built about 10-12 of them up to 2003/2006 or so. I think they are considered homebuilds so you that may be a consideration if you are financing. Since the floor is sealed all the way from stern to bow, you don't can't take advantage of any underfloor storage. If I were to buy it, I would take out the floor, add some tranverse bulkheads and design some storage
    As far as quality, it isn't a bayweld or a glacier craft. but if you're handy with aluminum it could be worthwhile but not at that price

They look a lot like a blossom boat so you may be confusing the two. There are quite a few blossoms chartering out of ninilchik

If you go GC, Make sure you buy a used glacier craft and not from the builder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info. I just really like the idea of an Alaskan built boat. Bw and gc are so nice but so expensive. Seems like they sell pretty fast too.

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    Been looking at Glacier Craft, Bay Weld... Anyone have experience with Pro Apollo? They seem to be all over up and down the highway south of Soldotna and look to be built just much 'commercial grade' as GC or BW.
    Primus, out of curiosity, what exactly does 'commercial grade' mean to you?

Primus,
    There are several boat builders in Alaska currently. Jeff Johnston from Peregrine builds an excellent boat. There was a thread regarding a boat build from a guy in Homer which looks nice. There is also a builder in Palmer
    Look a alaska boat broker website. there is a 32 foot peregrine which I would pick over the apollo everytime

My personal preference would be a bayweld but the wife won't let me drop 200+k no matter how much I beg and plead

Quote Originally Posted by copperlake View Post
    Primus, out of curiosity, what exactly does 'commercial grade' mean to you?
    IDK... you put a GC side by side with a Hewescraft or even a Kingfisher (nothing at all wrong with either of those brands btw) and everything on them just seems significantly over built in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by wenzelldo View Post
    Primus,
    There are several boat builders in Alaska currently. Jeff Johnston from Peregrine builds an excellent boat. There was a thread regarding a boat build from a guy in Homer which looks nice. There is also a builder in Palmer
    Look a alaska boat broker website. there is a 32 foot peregrine which I would pick over the apollo everytime
    That Peregrine does look nice. I didn't realize that was a local build too. Do you know who is building in Palmer? Probably going to look around Bay Weld this weekend.

Delbert in the butte has hylite fabrication., Awesome guy and the boats he builds are definetly worth a look. Had two 30'+ bowpickers he was building for peregrine marine last week.

http://hylitefabrication.com/

Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Airboats, ocean boats, and river boats serviced.
    https://www.facebook.com/BKMarineServices?fref=ts

Yes Brian,
    that is who I was thinking of, but couldn't remember his name