Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Quilts for Alaska backcountry?

  1. #1
    Member Boreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southcentral AK
    Posts
    294

    Default Quilts for Alaska backcountry?

    I apologize if this thread has been beat to death, but I didn't see anything. Do any of you have experience, or do you recommend quilts vs. sleeping bags for Alaskan back country? Looking for a new sleep system for a late August to early September hunt and thinking a quilt might be the ticket. I sleep very warm, so sleeping bag temp ratings are generally conservative for me. A quilt looks like a good way to shed some weight in the pack.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    I apologize if this thread has been beat to death, but I didn't see anything. Do any of you have experience, or do you recommend quilts vs. sleeping bags for Alaskan back country? Looking for a new sleep system for a late August to early September hunt and thinking a quilt might be the ticket. I sleep very warm, so sleeping bag temp ratings are generally conservative for me. A quilt looks like a good way to shed some weight in the pack.

    Thanks!
    I use one and know other that do as well,, not for everyone. Get one try a few test trips. I make sure to draw the toe box tight and make sure to secure it to the sleeping pad. Many don't know to cover yourself and sleep with nothing against the pad. I keep my quilt, and pad in a cuben fiber bivy.

    Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Sandpoint, ID
    Posts
    1,974

    Default

    I made one for my hammock trips. 2 poncho liners with 2 layer of Climashield "quilted" together. Too warm for temps in the 40's but works well in the 20's. I sewed a foot pocket into it and in the hammock it stays put. I tried it on the ground on a foam pad and it was pretty good but still warm in the 30's. If I wanted an early Fall quilt I'd do the same thing but just one layer of Climashield.

    Good idea Stid, I'm going to try it in my buvy this Winter.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    209

    Default

    I love my Enlighten Equipment rev-x 20. I pair it with a thermarest xlite and a borah gear m90 bivy.

  5. #5
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    I have a couple quilts now and rarely use a traditional sleeping bag anymore. The one that gets used the most is a 10, treated down, Enlighten Equipment Enigma. My sleep system is very similar to Floorguy's, I typically use it in combination with a Thermarest Xtherm or Xlite and a Borah Gear UL bivy or a Ti Goat Kestrel bivy. This combination has been working been working out very well for me for the last three years or so.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Member as.ks.ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    I have a couple quilts now and rarely use a traditional sleeping bag anymore. The one that gets used the most is a 10, treated down, Enlighten Equipment Enigma. My sleep system is very similar to Floorguy's, I typically use it in combination with a Thermarest Xtherm or Xlite and a Borah Gear UL bivy or a Ti Goat Kestrel bivy. This combination has been working been working out very well for me for the last three years or so.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't mean to change the subject on this quilt topic. But what are your different uses for the borah and the TI bivys? What are the differences, is one better suited for early season as opposed to later? I'm looking at bivys now, so this couldn't come at a better time. Thanks troutbum!


    Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

  7. #7
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by as.ks.ak View Post
    I don't mean to change the subject on this quilt topic. But what are your different uses for the borah and the TI bivys? What are the differences, is one better suited for early season as opposed to later? I'm looking at bivys now, so this couldn't come at a better time. Thanks troutbum!


    Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.
    I Initially bought the Kestrel then about a year later bought the Borah used. The Borah is a little wider and the top third of it is net, and the Kestrel offers a little more top protection. I mainly use the Borah now and my son uses the Kestrel when he comes along.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  8. #8
    Member Boreal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Southcentral AK
    Posts
    294

    Default

    This is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for! Thanks. I think the quilt, in a bivy, and a floorless shelter is going to be just the ticket.

  9. #9
    Member as.ks.ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    96

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boreal View Post
    This is exactly the sort of feedback I was hoping for! Thanks. I think the quilt, in a bivy, and a floorless shelter is going to be just the ticket.
    I've been rolling the dice without the bivy for the last year. I'm rockin an EE rev and I love it. With the help of a Kifaru compression sack I can get the SOB down to the size of a plastic water bottle. And I'm saving 2+ lbs. compared to my old bag. Could not be happier with my decision to switch.


    Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

  10. #10
    Member BRWNBR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Big Lake
    Posts
    8,462

    Default

    EE 0 degree quilt for me! Skeptic at first. Convert at the first night! Treated down. My feet stay warmer in the quilt than they ever were in a bag. I use my quilt everywhere except my kodiak base camp. When I like my giant -20 sleeping bag!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

  11. #11
    Member mjm316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Would you consider the quilt on Kodiak Jake? Maybe for a spike camp or alpine hunt?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

  12. #12
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Would you consider the quilt on Kodiak Jake? Maybe for a spike camp or alpine hunt?
    Not Jake,, but I would and I have......


    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    5 Minutes from Bings Landing
    Posts
    426

    Default

    I will add on to enlightened equipment too. Wife and I purchased our a few years back and I think out of all the money we spend on outdoor gear these quilts are our favorite item. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

  14. #14
    Member mjm316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Not Jake,, but I would and I have......


    Thanks Steve. Do you use a bivy sac with the quilt or are you comfortable and confident enough with the waterproof down?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

  15. #15
    Moderator stid2677's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Fairbanks Area
    Posts
    7,274

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Thanks Steve. Do you use a bivy sac with the quilt or are you comfortable and confident enough with the waterproof down?
    I always, use a ultralight bivy, 2 sources of waterproofness, is my rule and 3 is better. But I have had mine wetter than I would like and it still worked well and dried fast. Mine is only 20degrees, Kodiak as Alaska goes is not the coldest place during hunting season, weather and alpine will make a difference of course.

    Kodiak can get a blow.
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

  16. #16
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mjm316 View Post
    Would you consider the quilt on Kodiak Jake? Maybe for a spike camp or alpine hunt?
    I've been using a quilt and floorless shelter coupled with a UL bivy on Kodiak for several years now Mike. For spike camps, it is by far the lightest, best system I have come up with.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Member mjm316's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Eagle River
    Posts
    821

    Default

    Thanks fellas! Pretty much confirmed my thoughts to begin with. What bivys are you using with the quilts?
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

  18. #18
    Member AK Troutbum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chugiak, AK.
    Posts
    1,527

    Default

    I have a Borah gear (can't remember the model), that has bug netting on the top third, it's the one on the left in the photo. The other one is a Ti Goat Kestrel. Both weigh 6 oz.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    I will add on to enlightened equipment too. Wife and I purchased our a few years back and I think out of all the money we spend on outdoor gear these quilts are our favorite item. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/
    Which one do you have?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    5 Minutes from Bings Landing
    Posts
    426

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Which one do you have?
    We both got the revelation. Mine a little bigger and longer with a couple of the upgrades but can't remember what ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •