Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheep Manual

Default Sheep Manual

Was just told about new sheep manual made by wildlife department. Might be of help for coming season.
    wes

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu...regulation.pdf

Thanks for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    Was just told about new sheep manual made by wildlife department. Might be of help for coming season.
    wes

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/hu...regulation.pdf
    I guess I will have to take my ram-o-meter and stick to the field to judge full curl.

Very well done IMHO, lots of info in that document. I learned something new myself.

Thanks for sharing Sir

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Nice work Joe

Fantastic document. Lots of good information, I learned quite a bit. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    ....I learned something new myself.....

And what might that have been Steve...???
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Well congrats to steve and joe and anyone else on here that helped with the publication. I learned a ton. But to simplify, quit trying to push the envelope and harvest a tiny sheep. If you dont shake all over and drop your gun you shouldnt be shooting it. 11 years old and 1.5 curl is better goal......
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

Thanks to Mike Taras at ADFG for his hard work on this along with Joe Want. I'm gonna have a bunch of copies printed to hand out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Well congrats to steve and joe and anyone else on here that helped with the publication. I learned a ton. But to simplify, quit trying to push the envelope and harvest a tiny sheep. If you dont shake all over and drop your gun you shouldnt be shooting it. 11 years old and 1.5 curl is better goal......
    I agree with ya Sollybug, if you have any doubt don't shoot. But the anix I have is, after the fact. The regulation says from a side view the tip of the horn must pass threw 360 degrees. Now the Dept. and wildlife enforcement have come up with a stick test and a ram-o-meter. take a harvested sheep head in jigs, leveling and then measuring. All happening right there in a building, hands on. Hunter do not have this opportunity. they must make the best judgement they can in the field. yes some are not as good as others and errors are made. I have been in the buzz all most 3 decades, and when we did not even have to plug sheep horns, but just report them. I did not see any more sub legal rams than I see now. So what have we gained? As I have state the regulation say threw 360 degree. that means 361degree +. how many sheep are plugged at just 360 ? why are they not sub legal? What is the minimum full curl standard before you get cited? The adage still stands though. "if you have any doubt don't shoot". then you will never get cited.

Red face tutorial

A tutorial.

Leave A (see attached)on the mountain

until it looks like B (see attached)

Get it?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. “ Fred Bear

[QUOTE=Sollybug;1548352]A tutorial.

Leave A (see attached)on the mountain

until it looks like B (see attached)

Thanks for the no-brainer Sollybug, There should be no more sub-legal taken and harvest rates will go down and we could possible see an increase in population, if we follow your ideology. We didn't need an expensive manually. Your tutorial is all we needed and says it all. lol

The regulation on what is a legal male sheep seems pretty simple and straight foreword to most of all of us. This document was created to get consistency thought out ADF&G offices around the State when determining lawfulness. So one office in the state is not doing something different that a office in a different area of the state. So hens we have a 16 page document that explains to "wildlife biologist", What is a lawful male sheep. The regulation is only appox.58 words long. It took appox. 2 years of vetting to create this document for "wildlife biologist" to understand the regulation. The side benefit is we all can learn something beneficial from it.

I hope I never encounter the stick test. Even the pictures on that write up are taken at different angles, one your looking at its forehead the other straight up his nose. The curl-o-meter is kinda clever. I remember the first time I saw a bio pull one out,
    I about crapped my pants and asked where's the field version for hunters to carry??
    All we can do is be as sure as we can and have no doubts before hammer dropping! This write up is a great tool as well! Glad they put it together, thanks guys!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Well at the risk of showing age when the first started sealing in anchorage the used the stick or a piece of rope or something across the bases

Quote Originally Posted by Bear View Post
    Well at the risk of showing age when the first started sealing in anchorage the used the stick or a piece of rope or something across the bases
    Ah, you aren't that old Bear. That was only 10 years ago when they started sealing. But you are right, there seemed to be a lot of interesting measuring methods in those early days of sealing.

Showing age??! Oh crap I just felt old....can't be to old, I got my guide license from a cracker jacks box!!
    Master guide 212

That explains a lot. lol

Haha touché but at least I can make it across the street!!! Ha (to soon for jokes?)
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Haha touché but at least I can make it across the street!!! Ha (to soon for jokes?)
    Nope, not too soon. 😁 Progressed from wheelchair to walker and now to a cane. Did little over a mile yesterday, wore me out buts that's good. Isn't God great!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast