Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GET READY... 'cuz here they come!

Default GET READY... 'cuz here they come!

So fiddle-dee-dee and fiddle-dee-dum... look out baby, CUZ HERE THEY COME!

Good things WILL happen if this wind forecast holds up for the week...

Tue Night
    SW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.

Wed And Wed Night SW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.

Thu Through Sat SW wind 15 kt. Seas 3 ft.

While it could start as early as Wed evening, I'm hedging my bets on the bigger ebb in the wee hours Thursday to properly set up the Kenai plume for a mass movement of fish to the beach and a major push upriver on Thursday morning as the flood moves upriver. The only question is how many more fish will have built up in the district by then.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Do winds that light actually move fish in Cook Inlet? SW to 15.

YES... but NOT directly

Today's updated marine forecast...

Tonight
    SW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft subsiding to 2 ft.

Wed
    SW wind 10 kt increasing to 15 kt in the afternoon. Seas 4 ft.

Wed Night
    SW wind 15 kt. Seas 4 ft.

Thu
    SW wind 20 kt. Seas 5 ft.

Fri Through Sat
    SW wind 15 kt. Seas 3 ft.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    The KeenEye MD

50 thousand fish through the counter yesterday. I had a buddy fishing most the day got one fish. I asked him how he missed them haha. Oh well counts don't lie right???!!?

Imagine that.... a 17 hr gillnetting frenzy yday and 50K still managed to squeak thru.
    The KeenEye MD

According to the CommFish Hotline, catches slowed last night toward the end of the fishing period.

OTF has slowed WAY down, so not much evidence of new fish moving into the district... UNLESS of course the fish are swimming deep and missing the test nets. Who knows?

Sustained SW winds will move a lot of fish ashore. Thursdays regular opener could be lights out!

BTW, CommFish Hotline audio is now posted on-line, so no need to tie up the phone line.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...byareauci.main

93K taken on Saturday's EO opener.... no fishing Sunday.... y'day's number still rolling in.
    The KeenEye MD

The low OTF was concerning me but in looking at year's past it looks like it does not always paint the exact picture. Big OTFs indicate lots of fish but low OTF does not necessarily mean few fish, depending on if they are deep or not.

So there is a working theory looking at correlation between warm surface water temps and late run timing of Sockeye. I don't think it's guiding management or anything, but it is very interesting. Sockeye were record late last year to the Kenai, and the ocean surface temps are warmer yet this year. If the Kenai run is on forecast and on trend with Sockeye runs to the rest of the state (late), there would almost have to be a lull between this early push and the rest of the fishes.

But... who knows. I vote for lots of fish all summer long!

The counts of 50K considering dipping reports I have heard are perplexing. There are definitely fish out there - lots of gillnetters had solid days yesterday. One encouraging factor is that Sportfish claims that the abundance of sockeye is showing up on the King sonar as well, and is (at least loosely) correlating with upriver Sockeye sonar.

Looking forward to that W...

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post

The counts of 50K considering dipping reports I have heard are perplexing. There are definitely fish out there - lots of gillnetters had solid days yesterday. One encouraging factor is that Sportfish claims that the abundance of sockeye is showing up on the King sonar as well, and is (at least loosely) correlating with upriver Sockeye sonar.
    The when it comes to flossing, the new 50K fishes like the old 30K.

Of course, there is also the high water factor this year. Wonder how many guys not catching fish are wading out balls deep (or more) and having the fish swim right behind them
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    93K taken on Saturday's EO opener.... no fishing Sunday.... y'day's number still rolling in.
    Nearly a quarter million y'day.... and still counting.

Record numbers of pinks as well.... twice the previous record catch thru this date.

This is gonna be one GINORMOUS red run that we'll be talking about for years!

So much for Kenai overescapement... esp when you consider ADFG used to think MSY escapement was only 150,000 sockeye. Hard to imagine we're anywhere close to butting up against the replacement line on that Ricker curve given the escapements/runs we have seen the past decade.
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The when it comes to flossing, the new 50K fishes like the old 30K.

Of course, there is also the high water factor this year. Wonder how many guys not catching fish are wading out balls deep (or more) and having the fish swim right behind them
    And then there is the factor of the older I get, the better it used to be. I think that happens a lot when talking fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On track for another 40-50K day today.
    The KeenEye MD

I heard reports of real good sockeye fishing yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    I heard reports of real good sockeye fishing yesterday.
    Water is a little to high to wade out much if at all. Amazing how few are actually even fishing for sockeye but the
    folks that I have heard from are saying fishing is really really tough going in both the dip net and in-river sport fishery. 50k yesterday and over 200k for the season? Right...

It was tough to even try for reds this weekend. The few spots in the right zone with this water that don't have snags generally had people wading just past where the fish were running. I don't really like to be the guy accidentally hooking everyone else in the back of the head so we didn't stick with it long

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    Water is a little to high to wade out much if at all. Amazing how few are actually even fishing for sockeye but the
    folks that I have heard from are saying fishing is really really tough going in both the dip net and in-river sport fishery. 50k yesterday and over 200k for the season? Right...
    So you don't believe the counts based on a few reports of tough fishing in poor water conditions?

A friend said he got his limit last night in 20 minutes or so. He said of his group of 7, 5 of them limited out on an after work trip. I call that decent fishing, but maybe he's lucky or a better than average fisherman.

If the Sockeye counter is off that bothers me as much as anyone. I don't think a few hooks in the water is a very good index (especially with high water), and my observation of the PU fishery is that participation is still real low. 50,000 fish can enter the river pretty fast and even with a large daily count like that if someone is not dipping at the right time they might not notice. I've heard a lot of people doubt the sockeye counts the last few years, and the only thing they seem to base it on is that they don't think there are as many Sockeye in the river as there used to be, yet the last few years there have been more people Sockeye fishing on the Kenai catching more fish than ever before. By like a lot.

I'm counting on Sporfish to back commfish up with some sort of correlation between their counter and commfish's sockeye counter (the king counter sees and counts Sockeye, and yesterday they saw so many they had to quit counting them). Hopefully some interdepartmental cooperation can lay some of this doubt to rest.

Doc's correct that Pink harvest is way up but as a percentage of total fish it is still realllly small, as are Jacks and silvers. Those counters are counting something swimming by, and my bet is Sockeye. This time of year there just aren't enough pinks to get that many false hits.

Doc is also correct that 50,000 with the new sonar is like the old days and 30,000. 30,000 fish days with the old Bendix and perfect water conditions was good fishing but not red hot by any means. Throw in marginal water like there is now and what would normally be good fishing takes a turn for the worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcticwildman View Post
    Doc is also correct that 50,000 with the new sonar is like the old days and 30,000. 30,000 fish days with the old Bendix and perfect water conditions was good fishing but not red hot by any means. Throw in marginal water like there is now and what would normally be good fishing takes a turn for the worse.
    They say as much right on the count page.

[QUOTE]To provide for comparison of counts among years, all historical escapement counts in this database have been converted from Bendix to DIDSON-equivalent units. Due to these changes, historical escapement counts are about 1.4 times higher than those previously reported./QUOTE]

According to that 30k with the Bendix would be 42k now. So, their conversion estimate pretty much backs that idea up.
    -

Another 44K. They just keep coming. Water is slowly dropping as well. Does anyone know about how long it takes for OTF anchor point fish to then pass the fish counter in the kenai?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast