Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tanana Road completion

Default Tanana Road completion

I am planning a hunt up the Koyukuk this fall and was wondering if anyone had knowledge on the status of this road. Is it completed, whats the launch like on the Yukon, would it be safe/legal to leave the truck and trailer at the launch during the hunt? I am hoping to save some river miles and boat gas by going this route vs putting in at the bridge. I found this article that says it was delayed and wouldn't be completed until early summer this year.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_...e20cf5ee2.html

Any information that anyone is willing to pass along would be great. This will be my first time up there.

Thank you in advance

Chris

Not sure I'd be the first truck to launch a boat off the new road and leave it there. I'd wait a year or two and see how the locals treat others "intruding" on their areas....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    Not sure I'd be the first truck to launch a boat off the new road and leave it there. I'd wait a year or two and see how the locals treat others "intruding" on their areas....
    That thought has definitely crossed my mind. Truck and boat are both insured, but insurance doesn't get your boat out of the river, or your meat to the house!

There's an article in today's news miner that says it'll be open on Sept 1 this year.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    There's an article in today's news miner that says it'll be open on Sept 1 this year.
    Well, I guess that settles that. Will be putting in at the bridge. Thank you.

Chris

It's gonna be busy....what a day to open!
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    It's gonna be busy....what a day to open!
    Without a doubt! Being its only a single lane road. It could get a bit backed up if theirs anyone trying to go out and not in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What reason is there to believe the state will put in a boat launch? Has there been news in the past that there would be a place to launch a boat?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Road to a river? A boat launch of some sort will show up. Like expecting a fourwheeler trail with no liter.
    Master guide 212

I would not be leaving a vehicle there. Not saying anything bad would happen and shouldnt. Just saying there is gonna be some MAD people around that area Gonna be a zoo and ruin the remoteness of the land and town.
    "Nothing worse than a GROUSE!!!"

I agree. A way of life and remoteness is about to change for some people. We all know how much residents hate competition....unless of course, they are the competition. Then it's ok. Hope it all goes without notice and smoothly. But I would be cautious.
    Master guide 212

"I agree. A way of life and remoteness is about to change for some people. We all know how much residents hate competition....unless of course, they are the competition. Then it's ok. Hope it all goes without notice and smoothly. But I would be cautious."

Kind of like the proposed Watana Dam. What a tragedy that'll be. I remember when the Boone & Crockett Club fought that same proposed project back in the late 1960's. Well, here it is again. Tragic.

They'll need money before any dams go up I'm hoping....
    Master guide 212

These questions always come up, you could leave your vehicle anywhere and have potential for damage, more often than not people are always willing to help each other, assume the best, treat everyone with respect.

I have parked my rig in Minto, Nenana, Circle, Northway & at the bridge and never had any issues. The one time I left it unlocked in my driveway someone stole a camera and a Ipod......!

Damage and vandalism could happen in Freds parking lot to but w
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

lol truth! Only difference here is that this is a new development with new situations and a feeling of encroachment will be felt by local perhaps.
    Master guide 212

I think the locals will be pretty stoked about having better access also........!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I think the locals will be pretty stoked about having better access also........!
    There are a few who are for it; you can always find a few folks who are for any sort of "project"... but the Tanana residents I'm acquainted with don't live there because they want to be on the road system.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Our town in SE got ferry service for the first time a few years ago. I witnessed some of the most vocal opponents board the first sailing.

Lol......might as well make the most of it.
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by gbflyer View Post
    Our town in SE got ferry service for the first time a few years ago. I witnessed some of the most vocal opponents board the first sailing.
    A while ago, a backcountry ski outfit got permission to cut in a cat trail out of Girdwood to take people skiing with snowcats. One local woman fought it tooth and nail. Following year I was on the snowcat and we had to stop and wait for some crosscountry skiers to move. This women was one of the skiers. Some folks will fight change no matter what it is.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast