Thread: Cook Inlet and Chitina Personal Use Permits

Default Cook Inlet and Chitina Personal Use Permits

I was wondering if anyone can send a link or tell me where it is explains in the regs if you can dip net both the Copper River (Chitina) personal use and the Kenai (Cook Inlet) fishery? I am assuming you can do this and the two different fisheries are independent from each other, but I can't find it in writing anywhere. Also, are the bag limits for both independent? Thanks.

They sent me this email the other day if it helps:

2016 Personal Use Salmon Fishery

Dear Alaskan dipnetter,
    Our records indicate you obtained a permit in 2015 for the Upper Cook Inlet (Kenai and Kasilof rivers and Fish Creek) Personal Use Salmon fishery, the Chitina Subdistrict (Copper River) Personal Use Salmon fishery, or both from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. The Kasilof dip net fishery is currently open, and the Kenai dipnet fishery opens July 10th. We want to remind you that personal use salmon permits are available online through the ADF&G Store. Avoid the long lines and simply apply for and print your permit from your home computer. Remember that personal use fisheries are open to Alaska residents only and you need a resident fishing license to get a permit. If you donít already have your current Alaska sport fishing license you can purchase one online while applying for your personal use permit.
    Also, you can now report your personal use salmon harvests online. You will need to enter your name and permit number to start the harvest reporting process. This is a quick and simple process, especially if you obtained your permit online.
    Please visit the ADF&G Personal Use Fishing webpage (http://fish.alaska.gov/PU) for more information about the personal use fisheries.
    For questions regarding these fisheries, contact one of the ADF&G offices listed below.

Kenai/Kasilof Personal Use Salmon Fishery

• Anchorage: (907) 267-2218
    • Soldotna: (907) 262-9368
    • Homer: (907) 235-8191

Chitina Personal Use Salmon Fishery

• Fairbanks: (907) 459-7228
    • Glennallen: (907) 822-3309
    • Anchorage: (907) 267-2218

Have a happy and safe fishing season!
    ADF&G Division of Sport Fish
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Thanks for trying 4mer. Not much info there but it seems safe to assume that it is okay to have both.

I thought I remember reading you could dip one or the other, but not both.

Quote Originally Posted by Yellowstone View Post
    That's funny because I seem to recall reading or hearing the opposite. It would be nice to know for sure.

That's in reference to the Copper River PU and Subsistence fishery. You can only choose one, either PU or Subsistence.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Okay a lot of people aren't going to agree with me... seems like especially in the last five years or so it's getting to be a huge amount of extra people using the Fisheries... popularity is growing.... maybe it would be a good idea if they made it so you only could fish one fishery that would definitely ease some of the use

A 2 minute call to ADF&G will probably answer your question.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    A 2 minute call to ADF&G will probably answer your question.
    I timed it. By the time I had asked my questions and was off the phone, it was only 72 seconds.

What you basically have to realize is, there are different fisheries and different districts. Short answer is, you can have a Chitina permit AND a Cook Inlet Permit, but you can't fish within separate districts within each fishery.

In Chitina, there is a Chitina Subdistrict and a Glenallen Subdistrict. The bag limits for the season differ depending upon which fishery you choose. I've done enough homework for you that if you choose to fish in one of these areas, you can at least find out your own limit.

Down south, you can have a Cook Inlet Permit, good at Fish Creek in Wasilla, the Kenai River, and the Kasilof River. You can fish in all three of those areas as long as your total fish retained does not exceed the prescribed limts. OR -- You can have a KAchemak Bay setnet Gillnet Coho Salmon permit. But you can't have BOTH of these permits. Again, I'll let you do your own legwork to find bag limits and what dates and times these various fisheries are open.

GOOD LUCK FISHING!!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    I timed it. By the time I had asked my questions and was off the phone, it was only 72 seconds.

What you basically have to realize is, there are different fisheries and different districts. Short answer is, you can have a Chitina permit AND a Cook Inlet Permit, but you can't fish within separate districts within each fishery.

In Chitina, there is a Chitina Subdistrict and a Glenallen Subdistrict. The bag limits for the season differ depending upon which fishery you choose. I've done enough homework for you that if you choose to fish in one of these areas, you can at least find out your own limit.

Down south, you can have a Cook Inlet Permit, good at Fish Creek in Wasilla, the Kenai River, and the Kasilof River. You can fish in all three of those areas as long as your total fish retained does not exceed the prescribed limts. OR -- You can have a KAchemak Bay setnet Gillnet Coho Salmon permit. But you can't have BOTH of these permits. Again, I'll let you do your own legwork to find bag limits and what dates and times these various fisheries are open.

GOOD LUCK FISHING!!
    Ding, ding, ding! Big Dipper gets an A+ for doing his homework for everyone else. Thanks for taking the exuberant amount of time of 72 seconds to find the correct answer.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    Ding, ding, ding! Big Dipper gets an A+ for doing his homework for everyone else. Thanks for taking the exuberant amount of time
    of 72 seconds to find the correct answer.
    I should add that I also spend a few minutes on the ADF&G Webpage educating myself as to some of the distinctions of the different permits. Maybe an additional 5 minutes or so, but not much more than that.

You're welcome!!

I completely agree with you Brother Francis! Definitely would like to see that happen. Not only per person, but by family as well. If you live in the same household, you only get to fish one location. I would also like to see it limited per district. You either get to fish Kenai, Kasilof, or Fish Creek, not all three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Francis View Post
    Okay a lot of people aren't going to agree with me... seems like especially in the last five years or so it's getting to be a huge amount of extra people using the Fisheries... popularity is growing.... maybe it would be a good idea if they made it so you only could fish one fishery that would definitely ease some of the use

I completely agree with you Brother Francis! Definitely would like to see that happen. Not only per person, but by family as well. If you live in the same household, you only get to fish one location. I would also like to see it limited per district. You either get to fish Kenai, Kasilof, or Fish Creek, not all three.
    I am curious why you like the idea of limiting people to only one fishery? I can respect your opinions, but I just don't see the logic. And I am wondering if either of you support a family? I wonder if your opinion would be different if you had a large household of people to feed like I do. My family depends on salmon for subsistence, and there have been times when I have had to drive down to the Kenai several times to fill my permit, and I was not able to and if it weren't for fish creek opening up for an emergency order I wouldn't have gotten my fish. I for one like the fact that I have a variety of options to try to fill my freezer. I think it is nice that we have multiple options for filling our freezer. Just my two cents.

Bushwhack Jack... just getting so crowded... seems like every year is getting worse... getting harder to get a camping spot and sometimes a fishing spot..... just an idea to get more breathing room .... you talking about subsistence you know what Glennallen subsistence permit allows you I think 400 for a family

No you are spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..