Thread: September fishing

Default September fishing

I'll be in Seward (or elsewhere) from August 25th or so till Sept 15th this year. Never been up in the fall before, and I expect silvers will be my main focus.
    So I'm looking for ideas/areas.
    Seward...I expect I can expect to put a hurt on them if I do a charter...how about shore casting?
    The Russian? I'm used to fishing there...how is it during that time frame typically?
    Lower Kenai? I've heard stories of big silvers there...if I was to charter a boat I assume?
    Kasilof? Or Anchor/Ninilchik/deep creek? I did a flyout to the Chuit a few years ago and caught silvers with sea lice still on 'em on flies...love to do that again, but not sure about the timing.
    Our pilot over to Wolverine a couple years ago mentioned a river over there that he said was just great for silvers in the fall, but I don't recall the name?
    open to any other ideas as well. thanks!

That should be a good time for silvers in and around Seward. I know they catch some casting from shore near the Sea Life center. Also,
    if you have you're own gear Millers Landing rents small boats you can take out in the bay for cheaper than a charter and we have caught cod, rock fish, and occasionally halibut from the rental boats as well as silvers. There will probably be a lot of rivers on the Kenai that will have silvers in them during that time frame and I would guess the crowds would be smaller than during the sockeye/king runs but I have not been there to say for sure. Hope this helps--good luck!

Thanks, and yes I have my own gear. I spent 3 weeks up there in June catching reds. I'm hoping for some insight on which other rivers on the KP are best at what time...and I guess I should have put this in the freshwater section for that!

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    Thanks, and yes I have my own gear. I spent 3 weeks up there in June catching reds. I'm hoping for some insight on which other rivers on the KP are best at what time...and I guess I should have put this in the freshwater section for that!

On the KP one of the easiest (drive to) locations for silver fishing in the fall is Swanson River. If you have never been there its at the end of the North Road (drive through Kenai and just keep going until the road ends about 25 miles). Its easy to get to and has a fairly good silver run. Watch the tides and fish the incoming tide for best results.

Traveler,
    Shoot me a message. I could help you out. Our silver run has been pretty poor this year.

Quote Originally Posted by traveler View Post
    I'll be in Seward (or elsewhere) from August 25th or so till Sept 15th this year. Never been up in the fall before, and I expect silvers will be my main focus.
    So I'm looking for ideas/areas.
    Seward...I expect I can expect to put a hurt on them if I do a charter...how about shore casting?
    The Russian? I'm used to fishing there...how is it during that time frame typically?
    Lower Kenai? I've heard stories of big silvers there...if I was to charter a boat I assume?
    Kasilof? Or Anchor/Ninilchik/deep creek? I did a flyout to the Chuit a few years ago and caught silvers with sea lice still on 'em on flies...love to do that again, but not sure about the timing.
    Our pilot over to Wolverine a couple years ago mentioned a river over there that he said was just great for silvers in the fall, but I don't recall the name?
    open to any other ideas as well. thanks!